This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I've never tried it and don't have plans to. If you have the resources to solve two missions and damage a Headquarters, you can either destroy the Headquarters over 2 turns, or you can probably solve a third mission over 0-2 turns.

Cards like this annoy me because they just exist to cover the themes, not to enable certain kinds of gameplay, so they feel dishonest. They are meant to suggest that the game can involve dramatic events like the decimation of a homeworld, but does the CC actually want that kind of thing to happen in-game? Absolutely not.

I'm sure designers don't consciously set out to make cards this way, but since the CC and Community in general have such a strong bias towards a particular playstyle, that causes these kinds of cards to turn out like this.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Remember that not all cards are designed for the tournament player. Many types of players play this game, and all of them need cards designed for them. So never assume that all cards are there for you but instead there for someone else as there are more types of players than two.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Smiley wrote:Remember that not all cards are designed for the tournament player. Many types of players play this game, and all of them need cards designed for them. So never assume that all cards are there for you but instead there for someone else as there are more types of players than two.
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:26 am I've never tried it and don't have plans to. If you have the resources to solve two missions and damage a Headquarters, you can either destroy the Headquarters over 2 turns, or you can probably solve a third mission over 0-2 turns.

Cards like this annoy me because they just exist to cover the themes, not to enable certain kinds of gameplay, so they feel dishonest. They are meant to suggest that the game can involve dramatic events like the decimation of a homeworld, but does the CC actually want that kind of thing to happen in-game? Absolutely not.

I'm sure designers don't consciously set out to make cards this way, but since the CC and Community in general have such a strong bias towards a particular playstyle, that causes these kinds of cards to turn out like this.
There is also the possibility of future cards enhancing this card and creating that dramatic gameplay. The only limit is the designers imagination and willingness to push it into a set.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

Personally I treasure these kind of cards. The give so much flavor to 1e, Storytelling at its best. One of the main reasons I casually play this game is the capability of retelling stories in game form. Objectives like these draw me to playing a match every time.
Do you win worlds with this? Certainly not. But it does serve a silent player base that likes the storytelling aspect of the game. Which for example can be played out in different win conditions like "How many (story) objectives did you complete?"

Loving this!
:thumbsup:

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Hoss-Drone wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:14 pm
There is also the possibility of future cards enhancing this card and creating that dramatic gameplay. The only limit is the designers imagination and willingness to push it into a set.
With the loss of the [Ref] icon on Defend homeworld this card already becomes an incredible boost. Or will someone seed 2 DH's just because? No.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Enabran wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:19 am
Hoss-Drone wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:14 pm
With the loss of the [Ref] icon on Defend homeworld this card already becomes an incredible boost. Or will someone seed 2 DH's just because? No.
Well I think DH might get that back but there's, off the cuff, room for design to make a grease card for alpha dominion that doubles weapons vs facilities, unstops after damaging a facility, etc.

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]