This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which Delta Quadrant group/team/species do you most want to see in 1E?

Ocampa
10%
Talaxian
8%
The 37's
10%
Sikarians
5%
Voth
13%
Vaadwaur
7%
Devore
6%
Krenim
31%
Overlookers / The Hierachy
8%
Mari
1%

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I just picked:.

1. ocampa cuz I'd like more free plays and flesh out voyagers pilot episode more and have them work with a new caretakers array card/mechanic

2. Vaadwaar because they could be a cool Maquis in the DQ type group that does scrappy stuff and having the underspace get introduced has potential if the designers just open their imagination.

3. Krenim because if there's so much potential for some real "1e shenanigans" it's with them.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I voted for:

Ocampa - same reasons as Hoss-Drone

Sikarians - could promote interaction w/ AQ, though not without a steep cost. Perhaps some interaction with Set a Course for Home?

Devore - most likely in universe way of serving as a foil to/keeping DW from having OP alliances w/ the Federation

It was tempting to vote for Krenim, but with today's game state, the last thing we need is for it to be harder to use Time Locations
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:47 pm The 37's
A group of humans and their descendants stolen from Earth in 1937.
"The 37's"
Existing Example: Karyn Berlin
It would cause me great pain to have more unnecessary apostrophes in the game, so I would like to register a vehement vote against the 37s.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I think they should all be [NA] , but Kremin ships could have a Krenim requirement or penalty for not having a Kremin on board. A Krenim outpost that gives a bonus for reporting Krenim but still allows you to report other [NA] ships and personnel regularly I think would make sense.
As demonstrated in 'Year of Hell', Krenim were willing to make use of non-Krenim peoples, since we saw Obrist recuit (manipulate) Chakotay into helping him. A card called "Krenim Imperium" could offer more bonuses for Krenim while preventing the player from using non- [NA] cards. It could even allow you to discard your own non-Krenim [NA] card for a bonus. Think of this as A. They don't value these people because they aren't Krenim, and/or B. the card had been abstractly removed from history (in a manageable game mechanic).
But being the Krenim's history was constantly being altered by their own technology, it's not breaking lore to have Krenim serving with non- [NA] affiliations. Think of them a highly skilled refugees in a timeline where their Imperium has collapsed.
Most of the other [NA] could benefit from a card like Preserver Obelisk that lets you match [NA] personnel and ships to [1E-DQ] planets. This play (or even seed) mechanic would really help out the [Fed] , since they could recruit personnel and ships from completing missions. Maybe even give the option to download a generic [NA] [1E-DQ] outpost to a mission where they could make said repairs.
Oh yeah, don't forget to give us some new ways to seed USS Voyager and USS Equinox to the [1E-DQ] .
Last edited by enabrantain on Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
In regards to the Krenim, I would absolutely love to see some kind of mechanic where every time they complete some objective or score points or complete a mission, they have to flip a coin and if they lose they have to restart their entire game. Points, missions, opponents dilemma has to be reseeded, and they have to shuffle and redraw a hand.

Honestly that would be amazing to play and have to play against.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
boromirofborg wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:17 pm For Krenim, I'd love a way to make an opponent's mission unsolved, reseed/download dilemmas, and lose the points. Rewind the time with some changes. (Different dilemmas).

Of course doing this would have to be medium difficulty.
I love this idea thematically. I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan gameplay-wise for a couple of reasons, but the main one is that it would add more time (no pun intended) to a game that even in a solver vs solver match already runs really long.

It would definitely open up some new dilemma strategies though, so that's a plus I suppose.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
My pet Krenim idea is that it goes both ways: it might reset a mission, or it might clear a mission for free. It might push your opponents' cards out of the space-time continuum (like Stop First Contact)... or it might allow your opponent to download their entire deck (like the now-errata'd Patriotism/Defend Homeworld deck)... or it might push YOUR cards out of the space-time continuum!

And then you wait two or three turns (like Black Hole) and it does it all again, perhaps exactly reversing your fortunes.

Anyone arrogant enough to try to control time must learn that she is as fickle as she is vengeful, and pay the price.

(Basically, my vision for the Krenim is that they add extreme variance, but, on balance, not very much advantage. They might make the game longer, but just as often will make it shorter, and most often it will balance out. In my thinking, they're a faction for a player who doesn't necessarily want to win, but who absolutely wants to cause chaos. Like @JeBuS!)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:31 pm My pet Krenim idea is that it goes both ways: it might reset a mission, or it might clear a mission for free. It might push your opponents' cards out of the space-time continuum (like Stop First Contact)... or it might allow your opponent to download their entire deck (like the now-errata'd Patriotism/Defend Homeworld deck)... or it might push YOUR cards out of the space-time continuum!

And then you wait two or three turns (like Black Hole) and it does it all again, perhaps exactly reversing your fortunes.

Anyone arrogant enough to try to control time must learn that she is as fickle as she is vengeful, and pay the price.

(Basically, my vision for the Krenim is that they add extreme variance, but, on balance, not very much advantage. They might make the game longer, but just as often will make it shorter, and most often it will balance out. In my thinking, they're a faction for a player who doesn't necessarily want to win, but who absolutely wants to cause chaos. Like @JeBuS!)
So the 1e version of Temporal Incursion will be the next QR card?

That sounds fun... :shifty:

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:31 pm My pet Krenim idea is that it goes both ways: it might reset a mission, or it might clear a mission for free. It might push your opponents' cards out of the space-time continuum (like Stop First Contact)... or it might allow your opponent to download their entire deck (like the now-errata'd Patriotism/Defend Homeworld deck)... or it might push YOUR cards out of the space-time continuum!

Yeah I think one thing for design to keep in mind before making Krennim have superpowers by rewiring history......... IT DIDN'T WORK. They spent years going about this but never got it right. Their time ship sucked lol. I mean, it got close, but never close enough for the captain. That should be reflected in their powers.

Maybe a new version of the [22] [MQ] A-B-C-D objectives focusing on several incursions???
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:31 pm (Basically, my vision for the Krenim is that they add extreme variance, but, on balance, not very much advantage. They might make the game longer, but just as often will make it shorter, and most often it will balance out. In my thinking, they're a faction for a player who doesn't necessarily want to win, but who absolutely wants to cause chaos. Like @JeBuS!)
undefined - Imgur.gif
undefined - Imgur.gif (255.49 KiB) Viewed 477 times
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
What might be interesting is making Krenim missions absolutely miserable, and they need to use some other mechanic to monkey with time to reduce the requirements so they can solve them.

(I'd still lean to them being a non-faction and something more Tribbles or Planechase.)
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:37 pm(I'd still lean to them being a non-faction and something more Tribbles or Planechase.)
I don't know Planechase, but I think I sort of get what you mean by Tribbles. Not a personnel-driven mechanic, but something you build around that "incursions" its way into the game by other means. Presumably less irritating than Tribbles, but that same idea of "and now for something completely different."

This aligns with my loose thinking on the mechanic. For example, I had pictured the Krenim Weapon Ship as an incident that jumps around all spaceline at random, wreaking havoc where it lands.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]