This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Smile or knife?

Smile
64%
Knife
24%
Something else (please suggest in comments)
12%
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Hello all, happy Friday and welcome to your latest Friday question!

This time I want your opinions on a Creative matter!

There’s a card in development where the Creative team find themselves split, so we’d like to cast a wider net to gather viewpoints.

There’s a card in development that we’re working on, based around the 48th Rule of Acquisition: “The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife” from DS9’s second season episode “Rules of Acquisition”. It’s a card for an upcoming set (not the next set though) but hopefully we’ll see it in the near future.

Now it’ll come as no surprise that this is an event, has the [Rule] icon, references the Ferengi in the gametext, and the lore is just a quote of the actual rule. So all Creative need to do is give Art a steer on what image to use.

But this is our big debate… an image involving a smile, or an image involving a knife???

Rules cards are often pretty literal in their Creative content. 1st Rule (Once you have their money, you never give it back) is an image of some Gold-Pressed Latinum. 6th Rule (Never allow family to stand in the way of opportunity) is an image of members of Quark’s family. 34th Rule (War is good for business) is an image of a space battle. 35th Rule (Peace is good for business) is an image of Kira and O’Brien throwing up peace signs. 47th Rule (Don’t trust a man wearing a better suit than your own) is an image of DS9’s favourite tailor! You get the idea! Basically we’re not trying to represent anything too complex here, just show something linked to that rule.

So should the image focus on
a treacherous smile (such as DaiMon Bok in “The Battle”) or
a deadly blade (such as the one Leck uses in “The Magnificent Ferengi”)?

The final image choice will ultimately be down to Art (the above linked images are just suggestions) but let us know which sort of image you’d prefer to see!

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I am more concerned about the knife I don't see, than the smile I do see, so I selected knife even if the image chosen is not Leck's knife.

I have been conviced to change my vote.
Last edited by Professor Scott on Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Se7enofMine wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:24 pm There a possibility to do a dual image?

Split the image box going from top right to bottom left.
Top box has a big smile. Bottom has the knife.
Typically, split image along that particular diagonal imply split functions on the card, how about the same idea with a Horizontal split instead with the Smile on top and the knife on bottom?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
The very best would be a card featuring a smiling character holding a knife, but I don't know whether that exists.

As it is, I voted smile.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:14 pm The very best would be a card featuring a smiling character holding a knife, but I don't know whether that exists.

As it is, I voted smile.
I guess Leck is smirking more than smiling in the suggested pic. I still like it, so I voted knife based on that image.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]