This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
A theme, both in this thread and the Facebook thread: players play if there are players to play with them (whom they're socially and technically comfortable with).

And players have a very hard time fixing it if, for whatever reason, there's no players around.

By Shepard (Matt Carroll)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Klauser wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:44 pm There's only a few casual 1E players around town, and while 1E is in our rotation for play, we haven't gotten together much recently due to real-life issues.
I'd be very interested in knowing the age demographics of the 1E player base as I think that might be an indirect factor keeping people from playing more often. I might be completely wrong, but I'd venture a guess that most 1E players were probably in their teens and early 20s when 1E first came out almost 30 years ago, which would put the age range for most of those players in the 35-55 range. There have (thank goodness) been new players that have come to the game since then, but I imagine a good chunk of them are friends of long-time players in similar age categories.

Again, this is all supposition, but I wonder if those hypothetical age demographics play a role in how often people get to the table to play. The 35-55 age range tends to be where people are a bit more established, but there's also a lot of life events that happen then too (like getting married, having kids, buying/moving houses, changing jobs, health developments, increased likelihood of needing to care for older parents, etc).

For myself, I haven't played at all since November partly due to the holidays being so busy, but probably more significantly due to other demands on my time due to "life stuff."

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Our playgroup meets pretty consistently. 2-4 every other week or so. Games just too much fun.

But, after reading the responses, I can say we all came back to the game after a long hiatus, and I think we all found we really needed it as that 35-50 group!

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Shepard wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:20 pm
Klauser wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:44 pm There's only a few casual 1E players around town, and while 1E is in our rotation for play, we haven't gotten together much recently due to real-life issues.
I'd be very interested in knowing the age demographics of the 1E player base as I think that might be an indirect factor keeping people from playing more often. I might be completely wrong, but I'd venture a guess that most 1E players were probably in their teens and early 20s when 1E first came out almost 30 years ago, which would put the age range for most of those players in the 35-55 range...."
Your supposition tracks pretty well for our small group. I was in my mid-30s when 1E came out. I eventually became our local ambassador several years afterwards - primarily because I was older and had enough money to sink into the hobby. My player base at the time fell into ages ranging from high school aged kids (as young as 15) through high school aged, with the oldest being college through young professional (up to 25). The few that stayed interested in the occasional game were the older of my group - the younger ones either drifted off to other types of gaming or lost interest in gaming as they aged.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]