This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I didn't post a 1EFQ yesterday because we switched from a four-week rotation to a three-week rotation, and I forgot. So today's your First Edition Saturday Question! And it's a two-fer.

If you haven't played 1E since December 1st: Why haven't you played lately? Was motivation missing, or opportunity lacking, or have you just been under the weather?

If you have played 1E since December 1st: Why have you been playing lately? What are the key things that got you off the sidelines and into this beautiful game over the past couple of months?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I'll jump into an online 1E event if it seems like a big event (Masters) or if I like the format (RtT4).

Locally, it's harder to get a 1E event going. We're more 2E folks here in Chicagoland.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I'm playing RTT4 and that party is JUMPIN'!

We got SIXTEEN throwing down PAQ style! K'vort Armadas, Kevin/Amanda/Q2 Counter Wars, Static Warp Bubble, ALL the classic cheese, and a few speedy solvers to boot!

Final round is set to kick off this week, and I'm sure there's plenty of crazy left to happen before everything is said and done!

And for those who missed it? Fear not! There are Eight More Opportunities to get in on various flavors of classic fun. Come join us!

#shamelessplug
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Since December I’ve played in online Masters. I’ve also been Playtesting new cards and errata each week with Lofty. I’m currently building something extra fun for our regular Sunday morning match-up…

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Playtesting. Playing a lot of different things.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
We haven't played because the last 3 months have been crazy at work. Which doesn't look to be tapering off any time soon!
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I'm very happy that the San Diego playgroup is back to monthly 1E events. Feels great to play the interesting cards that have come out over the past few years, in a nice, relaxing, low-stakes environment with friends I've missed.

I'm also playing in the online throwback TNG event, but this first card pool is not one I would recommend or play again.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I have been pretty consistently playing 1e Online in general, and since Worlds in Orlando last year, have started playing locally about every 5-6 weeks including this Saturday, and we are planning to do a local Nemesis release event near the end of Feb.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Been playing a lot of Delta, Mirror, and TOS lately.

No Borg since its too OP for my little group and no Dominion since they have been pretty much hampered by errata and lack of design for them.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
DarkSabre wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:22 pm Been playing a lot of Delta, Mirror, and TOS lately.

No Borg since its too OP for my little group and no Dominion since they have been pretty much hampered by errata and lack of design for them.
You don't like we all serve, Son'a alliance, or dominion command?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dominion are still playable, but probably a full tier below the banned stuff.

I went 3-0 against non- [OS] and then promptly got curbstomped by @Kaiser's "fun" version of [OS] [1E-Rom].

With TFF off the board for the moment they may be an interesting choice again.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:43 pm
DarkSabre wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:22 pm Been playing a lot of Delta, Mirror, and TOS lately.

You don't like we all serve, Son'a alliance, or dominion command?
Dogs of War rivals the original virtual DS9 sets as being underpowered and underwhelming. It doesn’t do the ending of DS9 justice in card form or treksense for much of the cards. Dominion isn’t about doing missions but doing battle and being infiltrators. They get by through brute force and shoving troops at a problem. The set and recent errata completely change that narrative. For now they are becoming a more generic mission solver that gets to play with cardassian toys also.

I resigned as playtest manager and social media manager partly in protest of that set.

In other words a very heavy no from me about those cards being good.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:53 pm Dominion are still playable, but probably a full tier below the banned stuff.

I went 3-0 against non- [OS] and then promptly got curbstomped by @Kaiser's "fun" version of [OS] [1E-Rom].

With TFF off the board for the moment they may be an interesting choice again.
Any affiliation is playable. But are they fun? Do they have unique deck designs and ways of playing? The Dominion aren’t anymore. They were already heavily hampered by the download rule and lack of attention given to them by design. They are now being shoved towards being generic mission solvers that get to play with Cardassians.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ah, I didn't realize you were an ex-green badge. I don't pay attention to politics until it infects every thread in a forum.

So you like the kind of play style where you blow the other guy up. I can respect that. I don't have the skill for it. I tend to run a random crew at the dilemma blender until something breaks. Usually the crew, sadly.

It seems like there is an amount of math required to make a "well tuned" deck?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:35 pm Ah, I didn't realize you were an ex-green badge. I don't pay attention to politics until it infects every thread in a forum.

So you like the kind of play style where you blow the other guy up. I can respect that. I don't have the skill for it. I tend to run a random crew at the dilemma blender until something breaks. Usually the crew, sadly.

It seems like there is an amount of math required to make a "well tuned" deck?
Battle doesn't always have to be about blowing up the other side. There are other things involved when it comes to battle and the strategies involved. Dominion was heavy on infiltration and capture but they are being heavily nerfed on that with the introduction of new cards + errata of old cards + continued banning of specific cards. Specific strategies across all affiliations concerning battle can be
  • Capturing
    Stat reduction of ships
    Damage markers that target specific stats of a ship
    Damage markers that target specific skills to eliminate those people from dilemmas
    Infiltration
    Quick points via some cards
I am unsure of what you mean by a well-tuned deck. You can make any affiliation work and potentially be fun, but having them go into a competitive tournament environment is an entirely different situation. We have fun playing in my house almost every style of deck although we are currently prepping for our weekend of multiple tournaments in Northern VA so shifting gears to what decks myself and my oldest will be playing.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation