This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 119 posts
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:52 am
eberlems wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:43 am Cloaked Mission do we get another errata?
Ha! Looks like!
Not following this one. But then again I just spent a couple hours looking through the set that got sent to playtesting in 2E and my brain is in 2E mode.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:12 pm
Armus wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:52 am
eberlems wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:43 am Cloaked Mission do we get another errata?
Ha! Looks like!
Not following this one. But then again I just spent a couple hours looking through the set that got sent to playtesting in 2E and my brain is in 2E mode.
Cloaked Mission: Romulus System

Supervise Dilithium Mine: Romulus System Region
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Our friends at @startrekccghq on Twitter have an exclusive spoiler today. It's also on the (non-CC) Star Trek CCG Facebook page.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:19 pm I really like Recover Stolen Material. I like cards that open up missions for more affiliations and also boost other less used cards such as Science Lab.
Glad you like it.

This one wasn't one of "My cards" (if you want more of those, come back tomorrow... :shifty: #shamelessplug), but a common theme in this set (and something the entire design team tried to focus on) is giving players multiple options when it comes to playing specific cards and deck types. We didn't want this to be a set full of toys only for Feds (they have plenty) and Romulans (though they needed a few themselves), so we tried to work in things for other affiliations and non-affiliation-specific cards that can be applied to multiple decks.

I still consider myself a player first, as I've been doing that for almost 28 years with this game. And as a player, the deckbuilding and in-game decision components are very important to me when I'm designing new cards, so I personally tried to leave as many things open-ended as possible, rather than tell players how to build their decks. Obviously we have some limits to work within (source material, existing cards and affiliation dynamics, to name a few), but within those limits, I personally tried to be as open-ended as possible, and in most cases the other designers on the team did as well. Maybe that leads to some smart players breaking something, but as someone once said: risk is part of the game if you want to sit in that chair...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:24 pm So it takes 3 seed slots to earn an artifact with Recover Stolen Material? One for the facility, one for the objective, and one for the artifact itself?
Yup. It's on par with Cryosatellite that way, only you get extra utility out of the facility, so in the right deck it could be slightly better.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Something I think is very interesting about Recover Stolen Material is that the seeded [Art] will be the first card encountered. That means it breaks a lot of your own mission-peeking tech (including Science Lab!)... but it also makes the first function of HQ: Return Orb To Bajor relevant for the first time since batch seeding began.

I like that.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:18 pm Something I think is very interesting about Recover Stolen Material is that the seeded [Art] will be the first card encountered. That means it breaks a lot of your own mission-peeking tech (including Science Lab!)... but it also makes the first function of HQ: Return Orb To Bajor relevant for the first time since batch seeding began.

I like that.
Why wouldn't it seed on top of the stack like any other self seed?

Also, I assume that artifact still counts towards your 30 card seed deck limit since it does not say "download and seed"?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Also, I assume that artifact still counts towards your 30 card seed deck limit since it does not say "download and seed"?
Yes. You seed it immediately (rather than waiting for your next seed-phase turn), because that's what the card says, but it's still a card in your seed deck.
Takket wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:24 pmWhy wouldn't it seed on top of the stack like any other self seed?
When a card tells you to "seed" a card, it means "take that card and place it at the bottom of the stack of seed cards already at this location, creating that stack if it does not already exist."

The batch seeding rules provide an exception to this: when you are seeding a batch of cards at your own mission during the third segment of the dilemma phase, they go atop the existing stack. This is the only time I can think of when this happens.

But since Recover Stolen Material fires during the facility phase, when you're no longer doing batch seeding, that specific-to-batch-seeding exception doesn't apply.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jrch5618 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:43 pm Geordi in red was _not_ on my bingo card, but he's still awesome.
Glad you like him! :cheersL:

He was not one of "my cards" but I was in several discussions with the team on the best way to make him. I'm personally happy that I was able to convince Dan that the [DL] Prefix Codes was essential and really the only way to make that work.

I can't remember for sure but I think it was Daniel who suggested Cybernetics, which when combined with the Sisters of Duras in lore, opened up some new options for Illegitimate Leader decks.

So not only can you play him as an infiltrator against a fed opponent and get some big story mode energy going on, he can also be a key cog in a new deck option for an underplayed faction.

I can't wait to see what else people are able to do with him... I'm sure there's other fits we haven't found yet!

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:47 pm When a card tells you to "seed" a card, it means "take that card and place it at the bottom of the stack of seed cards already at this location, creating that stack if it does not already exist."
So I went and re-read the dilemma seeding instructions in the rule book which seems to have codified batch seeding into the rules. So where exactly does the rules tell me that when seeding a card outside the dilemma phase it goes on the bottom of the stack to be encountered first? Can apply not just to this but all All-Consuming Evil and Q's Viscous Animal Things off the top of my head.....
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation