This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 119 posts

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:18 pm Something I think is very interesting about Recover Stolen Material is that the seeded [Art] will be the first card encountered. That means it breaks a lot of your own mission-peeking tech (including Science Lab!)... but it also makes the first function of HQ: Return Orb To Bajor relevant for the first time since batch seeding began.

I like that.
It's funny bc this was exactly my first thought as well. I've wanted return orb to bajor to be good for awhile and now it is.....

Coach Kevin freebie:. All this + ds9 commander sisko with orb icon + here by invitation + Orb of Wisdom + bajoran shrine turns this into 10 points and a free report engine and a draw engine. Ds9 decks just got another new archetype. Baller design!
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:18 pm So I went and re-read the dilemma seeding instructions in the rule book which seems to have codified batch seeding into the rules. So where exactly does the rules tell me that when seeding a card outside the dilemma phase it goes on the bottom of the stack to be encountered first?
I guess it doesn't actually expressly say so anywhere. (It doesn't seem to say anything one way or the other about seeding beneath a mission outside the dilemma phase. But putting a card on the bottom of the stack is just what seeding is -- putting a card on the bottom of the stack -- and the batch self-seeding procedure was always understood to be an exceptional case. But now that people are learning OTF before/instead of Open, I guess it's an understandable misunderstanding, and we should put something in the Rulebook somewhere (?) that says so.
Can apply not just to this but all All-Consuming Evil and Q's Viscous Animal Things off the top of my head.....
Yes, that's correct. I'm sorry to say that, if you've been seeding your Armus dilemma or QVAT at the top of the pile instead of the bottom of the pile, you've been playing them wrong. Enjoy the extra power from playing them right, from now on! :cheersL:

(Meantime we'll start looking for a place to state clearly that seeding beneath a mission means what it always has, and that the batch seeding behavior is an exception.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:44 pm
Coach Kevin freebie:. All this + ds9 commander sisko with orb icon + here by invitation + Orb of Wisdom + bajoran shrine turns this into 10 points and a free report engine and a draw engine. Ds9 decks just got another new archetype. Baller design!
That's funny... da Gr0up Chat was discussing this card earlier today and wondering if Bajorans could break it with HQ:RotB. My exact response:
More seriously the shenanigans are likely to happen with Here by Invitation. I think I'm one of the few people who realizes just how good that deck can be
Great minds, eh, Coach K? :wink:

Of course now the secret's out, maybe I'll become one of the not-so-few. If the result of this card is any [RC] becoming top tier, I'll call that a Design win.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
If you seed your station at the wormhole with Celestial Temple, you can even use the same person to both conduct services and draw Temple cards.

Of course, [1E-DS9] already draws like gangbusters, so another card hardly makes a difference. The play engine is more interesting to me.

The other orbs are interesting, too. Orb of Prophecy and Change and Orb of Time are both pretty useless if you can't access them until solving a mission -- they're just too expensive for not enough benefit.

But if you can get them fast... hey, Orb of Time's ability to go to ANY time location in the game instantly (it doesn't say "to/from corresponding spaceline location"!) opens up some interesting possibilities.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Posted on the 30th January.
MattgomeryScott wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:36 am As for the other cards, as I mentioned in the article thread I'm really liking the Farragut and Versatile Vessel, as I've always had a soft spot for the Nebula class so it's nice to see it getting some love. Would love to see the Ambassador class get a similar boost some day.
And apparently that day is today! :D (Wow, that was fast!)

Needless to say I'm very happy with todays card Workhorses of the Fleet . The Lost Era is a really fascinating period of Trek history that hasn't really been touched upon outside of a few novels and the odd line of dialogue, so I really like the idea of being able to build a deck around this period, bridging the gap between TOS and TNG (possibly with todays other card Make a Difference Again .)

Only question I have is how K't'inga-class also ended up on there as it seems a little random?

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MattgomeryScott wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:48 am Posted on the 30th January.
MattgomeryScott wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:36 am As for the other cards, as I mentioned in the article thread I'm really liking the Farragut and Versatile Vessel, as I've always had a soft spot for the Nebula class so it's nice to see it getting some love. Would love to see the Ambassador class get a similar boost some day.

Needless to say I'm very happy with todays card Workhorses of the Fleet . The Lost Era is a really fascinating period of Trek history that hasn't really been touched upon outside of a few novels and the odd line of dialogue, so I really like the idea of being able to build a deck around this period, bridging the gap between TOS and TNG (possibly with todays other card Make a Difference Again .)

Only question I have is how K't'inga-class also ended up on there as it seems a little random?

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
At a guess, It is seen throughout TNG and DS9, and makes this card not JUST for feds?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MattgomeryScott wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:48 am Posted on the 30th January.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
Glad you like it! :cheersL:

To answer your question, we included K'Tinga- class because one of the themes of the set is expanding the "toy box" beyond just Feds (because Feds always seem to get the most toys) and including opportunities for other affiliations to use these cards where possible.

Not every Klingon gets so serve on a shiny new Vor'cha class battle cruiser. Sometimes you have to get the job done with older ships, and we know that K'Tingas were still around in the "modern" era of Trek from Deep Space 9.

Originally we also had B'rel class on there as well, but it was pointed out in playtesting that would give the Workhorses boost to the I.K.S. Kla'diyus, which was bad for business... which is a shame, because we really liked the idea of letting the Ferengi in on the action as well.

Oh well, you can't have everything.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:02 am
Hoss-Drone wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:44 pm
That's funny... da Gr0up Chat was discussing this card earlier today and wondering if Bajorans could break it with HQ:RotB. My exact response:
More seriously the shenanigans are likely to happen with Here by Invitation. I think I'm one of the few people who realizes just how good that deck can be
Great minds, eh, Coach K? :wink:

Of course now the secret's out, maybe I'll become one of the not-so-few. If the result of this card is any [RC] becoming top tier, I'll call that a Design win.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

To @BCSWowbagger point, here by invitation decks just got very, very interesting. The different orbs definitely open up some strategic possibilities when you can gaurantee T1 access.

You cant seed ds9 at the wormhole and do this, so that balances it a bit, but you can just card play d/l a ship to take your orb guy to the celestial temple OR as james pointed out - you can have your recovered orb be the orb of time and just relocate directly there!

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
pfti wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:11 am Dont forget you can move your station after seeding the objective.
Download Miles and Thrust over to the wormhole
Shhhhhhhhh! That was supposed to be a surprise! Now the cardassians might get to the wormhole first!!!

By Tosk
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
With today's spoilers I'm hopeful for reprints of the Enterprise-C and her crew with the [CF] symbol (or perhaps new versions altogether that are a bit more updated for the modern game).
"Making a Difference Again" is a phrase that could apply equally well to the time-displaced Rachel Garret, Richard Castillo and even Tasha Yar as it does to James T Kirk.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Tosk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:20 am With today's spoilers I'm hopeful for reprints of the Enterprise-C and her crew with the [CF] symbol (or perhaps new versions altogether that are a bit more updated for the modern game).
"Making a Difference Again" is a phrase that could apply equally well to the time-displaced Rachel Garret, Richard Castillo and even Tasha Yar as it does to James T Kirk.
This was discussed during Nemesis development. Obviously it was out of scope for a TNG Movies project, but we did what we could to provide some design space in this area that could be built upon down the line.

And as a fan of Yesterday's Enterprise, I'm always down for building out that crew and making them more playable! :D

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Tosk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:20 am With today's spoilers I'm hopeful for reprints of the Enterprise-C and her crew with the [CF] symbol (or perhaps new versions altogether that are a bit more updated for the modern game).
And also Morgan Bateson and the Bozeman (except with the TNG logo this time)?

Decklist updated to include dilemmas. Crippling St[…]

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't com[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]