This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 119 posts

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
GooeyChewie wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:50 pm
stressedoutatumc wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:47 pm Related Question...can you download HQ: Return Orb to Bajor with Taking Charge?
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, because Taking Charge can only download objectives which play on missions, not on personnel.
So all we need is an Ego the Living Planet card, that's both a personnel and a mission, and we're set! :shifty:

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:11 pm
WeAreBack wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:04 pm I can't help but notice how killer Assign Support Personnel is with make a difference again given the proportion of existing [CF] [1E-TNG] personnel - 5 all ❖ -- have exactly two skills and no other skills.
It's good for dial-a-skill, but because of Make A Difference's text, you can't download your way to a Double Draw since it's an order.

But you're right that there's a lot of options, so it may be worth running ASP anyway for the dial-a-skill potential.
Not for dial-a-skill. With only 5 of these personnel and getting to draw a card each time I play one, I imagine they are all coming out very quick with lots of copies in the deck.

ASP is phenomenal with this card for the “report aboard” potential. Very few other cards allow you to get your free plays directly to a ship. Sure it’s easy with holograms, but with finest crew you need to get a unique ship into play by resorting to a lot of work with space doors and broken bottles of ‘45 Dom or admiral Riker. (Klingons admittedly have it easier with their [WC], though we somehow restricted the [TNG] Ferengi. Maybe they would be too powerful..)

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:47 pm
stressedoutatumc wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:46 pm
Hoss-Drone wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:44 pm

It's funny bc this was exactly my first thought as well. I've wanted return orb to bajor to be good for awhile and now it is.....

Coach Kevin freebie:. All this + ds9 commander sisko with orb icon + here by invitation + Orb of Wisdom + bajoran shrine turns this into 10 points and a free report engine and a draw engine. Ds9 decks just got another new archetype. Baller design!
Related Question...can you download HQ: Return Orb to Bajor with Taking Charge?
You can download it with Here By Invitation and Commander's Office + the facility commander though.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
I don't know if it was because I was saying it constantly, but thank you whoever made Engage the Borg for implementing a clean solution to that issue. (Though I didn't expect to see Generations in there.)

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
enabrantain wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:51 am
nobthehobbit wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:11 am I don't know if it was because I was saying it constantly, but thank you whoever made Engage the Borg for implementing a clean solution to that issue. (Though I didn't expect to see Generations in there.)
The only thing is, they forgot Voyager...
By the logic of including Voyager with the TNG movies, you should also have overlaps between TNG and early-seasons DS9, and later-seasons DS9 and the TNG movies. These all focus on different things in the shows and consequently get different focuses in the game.

I suppose you could make a case for [AQ] Voyager (but 1E doesn't have a convenient icon reference for Alpha Quadrant natives) but most of what we saw in that regard was people at Starfleet Command working specifically on bringing Voyager home, with one of them having explicitly been reassigned away from the Enterprise-E (Barclay), and the only one who would make sense to show up (Troi) has the [EE] icon anyway so she's good to go with Relaunched.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
nobthehobbit wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:11 am I don't know if it was because I was saying it constantly, but thank you whoever made Engage the Borg for implementing a clean solution to that issue. (Though I didn't expect to see Generations in there.)
I believe this was @SirDan though my memory is really poor on this. I searched and searched but found no forum posts in the design board regarding this card, which means it was either completely designed by Dan "off-camera," or it was designed collectively during our design meetings. (I think the true answer is a bit of both.)

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:21 am
enabrantain wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:51 am
The only thing is, they forgot Voyager...
By the logic of including Voyager with the TNG movies, you should also have overlaps between TNG and early-seasons DS9, and later-seasons DS9 and the TNG movies. These all focus on different things in the shows and consequently get different focuses in the game.
Speaking of DS9 overlap, it would be nice to get three cards that are printed with both the first contact icon and property logo, as well as a printed [1E-DS9] symbol: a new U.S.S Defiant, Worf and -- how did I not notice this until rewatching First Contact on the big screen in Bryan Park this past summer-- the Defiant Helmsan played by Adam Scott. (For whom I suggest "Scott Adams"). Giving the same treatment to a few extras giving them a ❖ and labeling them as survivors beamed over from the defiant would not be bad either.

It's explicitly established that the Defiant was actually built after the Battle of Wolf 359, so it would be appropriate to include it as one of the ships that gets a bonus fighting Borg.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
OKCoyote wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:05 am
I believe this was @SirDan though my memory is really poor on this. I searched and searched but found no forum posts in the design board regarding this card, which means it was either completely designed by Dan "off-camera," or it was designed collectively during our design meetings. (I think the true answer is a bit of both.)
My recollection is we spent at least one design meeting on hashing out this card as a "give the people what they want" kind of effort.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Engage the Borg is a good grease card and you know I love me a new drone but it's still recover stole material that's got me the most interested so far and playing it in DS9 decks. Some of the best cards in this game have been the offhand, not really set focus, cards. Keep that in mind designers.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:09 am Engage the Borg is a good grease card and you know I love me a new drone but it's still recover stole material that's got me the most interested so far and playing it in DS9 decks. Some of the best cards in this game have been the offhand, not really set focus, cards. Keep that in mind designers.
This is something that we really tried to keep in mind while we were Designing this set. Our primary objectives were to make the remans playable and create cards from Nemesis source material (lot of overlap in those two), and that took up about 70% of the set. However, for the other 30%, while we were confined to source material from the movies (even Formidable Warriors was born from a line of dialog in Nemesis and extrapolated), we tried to look at that source material from angles other than just the way the source material was used in the plots of those movies. This enabled us to give stuff to affiliations and factions that weren't depicted, and hopefully scratch some itches for players whose favorite material wasn't necessarily "up to bat" this time around.

I'm glad you found an off the wall card you want to build a deck around... hopefully you'll see some more by the time all 54 cards are released on Friday. :cheersL:

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Armus wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:46 am
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:09 am Engage the Borg is a good grease card and you know I love me a new drone but it's still recover stole material that's got me the most interested so far and playing it in DS9 decks. Some of the best cards in this game have been the offhand, not really set focus, cards. Keep that in mind designers.
This is something that we really tried to keep in mind while we were Designing this set. Our primary objectives were to make the remans playable and create cards from Nemesis source material (lot of overlap in those two), and that took up about 70% of the set. However, for the other 30%, while we were confined to source material from the movies (even Formidable Warriors was born from a line of dialog in Nemesis and extrapolated), we tried to look at that source material from angles other than just the way the source material was used in the plots of those movies. This enabled us to give stuff to affiliations and factions that weren't depicted, and hopefully scratch some itches for players whose favorite material wasn't necessarily "up to bat" this time around.

I'm glad you found an off the wall card you want to build a deck around... hopefully you'll see some more by the time all 54 cards are released on Friday. :cheersL:
Believe me, I'm very sympathetic to designs plight when it comes to designing "off theme" cards in a set. I put Self Replicating roadblock into the 2e world and was met with so much vitriol I quit design. Yet history has bore me out that my reasons and motivations were correct.

So I say forge ahead with your ideas. In my world a set that's just 50% plus 1 card on theme is well....on theme.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I don't see Engage the Borg as all that playable. It doesn't provide a free play so the only thing it does is give you more options for Federation Flag: Relaunched. The only people this card allows you to play that you couldn't play already are:

Kathryn Janeway (The Sky's the Limit)
Matthew Dougherty
William T. Riker (The Sky's the Limit)
James T. Kirk

and Riker already has multiple [EE] personas. So you are basically going to spend a seed card for access to three more people and 1 persona?

Granted there could be a couple more coming in Nemesis.......
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
It is true, it is only a handful of personnel. But the clamoring was there, so I'm happy we could provide it. And, in the future, if we want to make another Fed personnel from that era, we won't be constrained by limiting to First Contact or giving them an [EE] icon.

If you are looking for another free report, FF:R pairs well with a treaty (and that affiliation's free report), or Son'a/Ba'u free plays. Or both! Or tonight's Battle Station cards, but that has (literal) limits.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
First of all, I really like the possibilities of the the Battle Station cards.

Second, I think that that design should be how The Final Frontier should be handled. Break it up into multiple cards! It would dampen the power at the cost of seed slots and offer some versatility as to which parts are most important.
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]