This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I'd say he's really good at Diverting Power...
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
OKCoyote wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:37 pm
Ivofounder wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:35 am Hi! What can you tell us about the *Facebook spoiler card* and its creative process?
Also how does his sp****l s***l works with cards like divert power?
Tks
FounderLeader
Are we talking about Wesley? This was primarily my design so I'll try to take this one.

I was involved in the design of a number of the Federation personnel in this set, for reasons I'll explain more in an upcoming article. Wesley was one I really wanted to do, but given that he was only in a deleted scene, I wanted him to have a really cool ability if we were going to do it at all. Given that in the deleted scene he talked about returning to Starfleet as an engineer, and with his history spending time with the Traveler, I thought his special skill was fitting, plus was something we've never seen on a card before.

As for interaction with Divert Power, that'll be a question for Rules...
Given it's from a deleted scene and the character has since made another canon appearance... was any thought given to applying the AU icon to that card?
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
JeBuS wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:45 pm
OKCoyote wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:37 pm
Ivofounder wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:35 am Hi! What can you tell us about the *Facebook spoiler card* and its creative process?
Also how does his sp****l s***l works with cards like divert power?
Tks
FounderLeader
Are we talking about Wesley? This was primarily my design so I'll try to take this one.

I was involved in the design of a number of the Federation personnel in this set, for reasons I'll explain more in an upcoming article. Wesley was one I really wanted to do, but given that he was only in a deleted scene, I wanted him to have a really cool ability if we were going to do it at all. Given that in the deleted scene he talked about returning to Starfleet as an engineer, and with his history spending time with the Traveler, I thought his special skill was fitting, plus was something we've never seen on a card before.

As for interaction with Divert Power, that'll be a question for Rules...
Given it's from a deleted scene and the character has since made another canon appearance... was any thought given to applying the AU icon to that card?
Yes. However, we decided against it as Wesley does actually appear in the scene that made it into the movie - but all his dialogue was cut. Therefore, we treated it as canon that he had at least been there, and let Creative have a little bit of leeway with the lore.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So..........

Make a Difference Again
[WC]
Plays on table; you may download Workhorses of the Fleet. Once each turn, when you play James T. Kirk or a [Films][TNG] personnel, you may draw a card. You may ignore [AU] when playing [Films][TNG] cards, and once each turn, one such personnel may play for free. You may not draw cards after you begin executing orders (except your normal card draw, which may not exceed one card).

What's with the last sentence on this card? I assume something was found that was broken if you teamed up this card with something else, but that seems like a very strange restriction. In fact I don't think any card specifically refers to the play and execute orders phases of a turn.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:19 pm So..........

Make a Difference Again
[WC]
Plays on table; you may download Workhorses of the Fleet. Once each turn, when you play James T. Kirk or a [Films][TNG] personnel, you may draw a card. You may ignore [AU] when playing [Films][TNG] cards, and once each turn, one such personnel may play for free. You may not draw cards after you begin executing orders (except your normal card draw, which may not exceed one card).

What's with the last sentence on this card? I assume something was found that was broken if you teamed up this card with something else, but that seems like a very strange restriction. In fact I don't think any card specifically refers to the play and execute orders phases of a turn.
I wanted to bring back the second play phase draw that the original Continuing Mission had. However, the reason it was errataed in the first place was it was deemed too powerful when combined with other drawing engines. That's even more true of MADA which gives you even more ways to play things for free... having access to all of the draw engines would be extra speedy Feds. As such, I created the tradeoff of getting the extra play phase draw at the cost of giving up extra order phase draws.

I think you're right that it hasn't been done before, but there's a nice dichotomy of keeping some draw engines still available while limiting others when you break it down by turn phase. Who knows, maybe future design will play more in this space.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:19 pmIn fact I don't think any card specifically refers to the play and execute orders phases of a turn.
That is correct. This is the first. Rules was quite fussy about how our friends in Design worded this clause as a result. Hopefully the intent came through clearly in the end!
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Controversial cards coming up tonight. They have been in the design file in one form or another form the beginning, and had the most feedback and change over the 6 months and 24 versions we sent to testers. I'm excited.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
SirDan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:47 pm Controversial cards coming up tonight. They have been in the design file in one form or another form the beginning, and had the most feedback and change over the 6 months and 24 versions we sent to testers. I'm excited.
I'm predicting.... wait no, this is Q&A, so I need to phrase it as a Q.

Is it... Livingston of Borg, from an alternate universe where Hugh takes him back to the collective in "I, Borg" and instead of jumping back in time to Stop First Contact he takes the collective back to 1986 Earth to assimilate George and Gracie?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
GooeyChewie wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:57 pm
SirDan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:47 pm Controversial cards coming up tonight. They have been in the design file in one form or another form the beginning, and had the most feedback and change over the 6 months and 24 versions we sent to testers. I'm excited.
I'm predicting.... wait no, this is Q&A, so I need to phrase it as a Q.

Is it... Livingston of Borg, from an alternate universe where Hugh takes him back to the collective in "I, Borg" and instead of jumping back in time to Stop First Contact he takes the collective back to 1986 Earth to assimilate George and Gracie?
Unfortunately, no. That card didn't make it past playtesting... too much game-breaking potential if the Borg can Assimilate ANIMALS...

:shifty: :wink: :P

By Tosk
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm curious about the "Battle Stations" prefix on the three cards just released.

I understand how they are clearly intended to be used together as a group, so I understand the utility of beginning all three with the word "Battle Stations" if just for the sake of finding them easier with a card search. But in the case of other cards with a colon in the title (like "Armus: ___" or "The Arsenal: ____", the point was to group them for some global effect like "All-Consuming Evil".

Is there any intention of something like that here? Like a download of "any battle stations" or what have you?

Also, why "Battle Stations", thematically? I was anticipating something to do with Tactic cards or SOME form of combat with a name like that, but instead it's draw-engine and card pool restriction/expansion. Nothing "Battle" about those stations!

Thanks, I appreciate the insight into the design process
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
That was more of a Creative decision rather than a Design one, so I’ll jump in here.

We’d wanted to tie the 3 cards together, but it wasn’t easy to find 3 things to tie the cards together, that was also typical of all the [EE] movies. In the end we paired the cards with images that all related to battle scenes in the movies, hence why we picked that name.

There is nothing to prevent that name also being used elsewhere, with other subtitles in future - potentially involving tactics!

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Looking forward to 'Battle Stations: Oberth Class'

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Not the same.... :P

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent