This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Hey folks!

We designed a new 1E set: Nemesis. It was in production in the testing and revision phase for most of last year, but cards are finally being revealed, and I'm very pleased at how the set came together.

Big thanks to Rules, Creative, Art, and Testing who made this happen.

The designers (and the folks in rules, creative, and art) like to talk about cards and how they were developed, so I'm making a thread here to do so. As mentioned in the release article, here's the design team:

Lead: Dan Hamman @SirDan
Cristoffer Wiker @Smiley
Daniel Matteson @OKCoyote
Brian Sykes @Armus

The cards in this set have fingerprints from the entire team on them, and it was a great project to work on.

I have some stories to tell, and I'll be writing an article over the weekend for one of the later spoiler days. I planned to write another and post a deck for today's card, but ... I ran into a few dilemmas I didn't have the skills for and was stopped. So I'll try to piece together some of it below.

I'm looking forward to discussing this set, and to you all seeing the cards as they are revealed.

Dan

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So, Why Young Shinzon? I like him, but some seem to question his relevance...
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
Lets talk about Young Shinzon!

Many of the cards in the starting Project Solo design file came over from the work that was done in Project Snape back in 2012. Our mandate was that we were certainly not beholden to any of the previous work that was done on Reman development (that was eventually cut from The Sky's the Limit), but it was available for us to look over and pilfer. Many of the personnel and some of the ideas that became verbs owe their roots to that file.

One of the issues with the Remans is that, as a group, there are kinda limited in who they like to play with. So pilfering the movie's flashbacks for versions of characters seemed like a reasonable way of getting more bodies. Also, there already exists a Shinzon, and early on we were leaning into not remaking existing personnel. So: Subject 47, as Young Shinzon was originally known, has been around since the start of testing for this set.

As time went on, his name changed a few times, but that special skill he has (or a more wordy version of it) as been there all along. It is a cool story, it allowed us to put a Shinzon in the set (that you could play alongside the real Shinzon), Leadership and Geology are skills that Remans like to have out early, and Youth is not really one of the Reman's strengths. Many of the cards in Nemesis changed dramaticaly over the course of development from version A to version Y, but this personnel did not.

Thank you for asking!

By Mugato
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Runner-Up 2023
What card or hook took this set from "we should do a Nemesis set" to "this has its own flavor and will be a great addition to the game?"
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
Reman Sacrifice was already a card and we leaned into the mechanic. The Reman Faction skill helper, recursion, personnel, ship, and equipment downloading, card draws, and combat efficiency all deal with this aspect. I like that we were able to tie things together. And the few new unique personnel we've added have these ways of helping you pay that cost, by doubling (or tripling) reports. Balancing all that personnel coming in and out is going to be a tough trick, but some will really enjoy the constant motion and flexibility it provides.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Questions form Bob:

You're going to commit a crime. Which card do you take with you?

You're going to have a wild 'What happens in Vegas' style weekend. Which card do you bring along?

You've reached the natural end of your life. Which card do you want by your side?

Which card is your secret crush?
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:14 am Questions form Bob:

You're going to have a wild 'What happens in Vegas' style weekend. Which card do you bring along?

You've reached the natural end of your life. Which card do you want by your side?

In order: 23V, 1V, 33V, and 29V.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:14 am You're going to commit a crime. Which card do you take with you?
4V
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:14 am You're going to have a wild 'What happens in Vegas' style weekend. Which card do you bring along?
1V
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:14 am You've reached the natural end of your life. Which card do you want by your side?
17V
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:14 am Which card is your secret crush?
34V
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:14 am You're going to commit a crime. Which card do you take with you?
15V for backup
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:14 am You're going to have a wild 'What happens in Vegas' style weekend. Which card do you bring along?
36V knows what's up
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:14 am You've reached the natural end of your life. Which card do you want by your side?
28V - One end can be another beginning
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:14 am Which card is your secret crush?
37V is the obvious, but also 25V
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
eberlems wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:34 pm Was the card Temporal Benefactor a point in designing this set?
Not this time. We often make points of naming other personnel cards in new personnel lore, but creative also likes to add more connections once we've finished most of our tweaking. The five AU personnel in this set do each have a reference to another personnel, but only one name shows up twice. Looking back, I don't think anyone tested that one duplicate as a Benefactor... but I suppose it does turn up in lore on two other personas, so it wouldn't be (it would be) a crazy choice.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Definitely 23V
45V... gotta have protection for a weekend like that...
16V - The title lends itself well to the situation.
Well if I told you that, it wouldn't be a secret now, would it? :wink:
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
Regarding the New Reman Flagship, Formidable Warriors, Senate Chamber, the [redacted] card, the new [redacted] card, and the [redacted] suite revealed next week:

One of the things I'm happy about is that there are multiple ways to build with these (and older) cards. I like that some of these engines allow overlap, some of them are exclusive, and they all cater to different levels of play. You want a baseline deck? There's an app for that. You want a classic place to play the new guys that allows you to mix and match old stuff? Use the facility. You like DS9? You are golden with the [RC] . You like either of [redacted] movies? Good to go. You like fiddling with knobs? Try Remans on Remas. And I think I missed one.

TNG movies cover a lot of ground. There are already a lot of material and options out there, and I hope we provided tools to jam with whatever card group you like. They should all feel a little different, and there's a lot to explore. I expect there's even more that we didn't uncover in our extended testing, but time will tell.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Ivofounder wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:35 am Hi! What can you tell us about the *Facebook spoiler card* and its creative process?
Also how does his sp****l s***l works with cards like divert power?
Tks
FounderLeader
Are we talking about Wesley? This was primarily my design so I'll try to take this one.

I was involved in the design of a number of the Federation personnel in this set, for reasons I'll explain more in an upcoming article. Wesley was one I really wanted to do, but given that he was only in a deleted scene, I wanted him to have a really cool ability if we were going to do it at all. Given that in the deleted scene he talked about returning to Starfleet as an engineer, and with his history spending time with the Traveler, I thought his special skill was fitting, plus was something we've never seen on a card before.

As for interaction with Divert Power, that'll be a question for Rules...
Question for noob

You can use Defend Homeworld instead of Quark[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]