This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:52 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:46 pm This thread is a good reminder to build out [BB] dilemma combos in my deck for the release event. :shifty:
I mean, yes and no. Recover Stolen Material lets you seed the artifact in the facility phase (so first encountered) and HQ: Return Orb to Bajor let's you immediately earn your Orb artifact of choice. Paired with a turn 1 download of Kira Nerys off of Defend Homeworld just means you need to find the HQ card in your opening hand, which should not be hard if you run enough of them. That said, I am sure I am not the first person to come up with this combo - most likely @Kaiser already has.
I played a deck with the Orb of Wisdom on Bajor. Use Here by Invitation and Trust the Prophets to allow Ops DL of Benjamin Sisko (Emissary), move him to Commander's Office, and use Here by Invitation to DL HQ:ROTB right onto him.

Only reason why I didn't get the orb on turn one was crazy stupid bad luck of not drawing any [Baj] personnel in my opening hand. Note that since Recover stolen material requires a non- [Fed] away team, I also seeded HQ:Secure Homeworld on Bajor to allow Sisko to attempt with some [Baj] .

You could also get the HQ:ROTB download by using Colonel Kira (you still need to seed Here By invitation but you don't have to stock any [Fed]) but she is not [Orb] , which is what got me wondering about sticking some Orb Experiences in the deck (in case I don't draw someone with [Orb] in my opening hand). Then I could largely ditch the [Fed] people, and not waste a seed slot on HQ:DH (since I can attempt Recover Stolen Materials with the [Baj] only deck.

Then I read the SECOND function of Orb Experience, and then I thought, hey, why not stick half a dozen on these in the deck because even if I don't need it for the first function, the second function is really useful.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
eberlems wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:06 pm Do placed [BB] placed on the mission prevent "scouting complete"?
They prevent you from scouting, so scouting will never be complete.
Cards with the [BB] Botany Bay icon represent an unpleasant surprise for players who try to uncover what is better left buried. If a player examines a dilemma with the [BB] icon any time other than during a mission or scouting attempt (for example, by using Ocular Implants to peek at it), place it on the mission where it was seeded. That player may not attempt or scout this mission until another mission has been completed (or scouted) by either player, then re-seed the dilemma at the same mission.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:15 pm
eberlems wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:06 pm Do placed [BB] placed on the mission prevent "scouting complete"?
Cards with the [BB] Botany Bay icon represent an unpleasant surprise for players who try to uncover what is better left buried. If a player examines a dilemma with the [BB] icon any time other than during a mission or scouting attempt (for example, by using Ocular Implants to peek at it), place it on the mission where it was seeded. That player may not attempt or scout this mission until another mission has been completed (or scouted) by either player, then re-seed the dilemma at the same mission.
Depends. If you've already started scouting the mission and the you scan and hit a [BB] card and it's the last card under the mission, then scouting is complete.

On the other hand, if you scan and hit the [BB] card before you start scouting, then the above take is correct and you will need to go somewhere else first.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
Takket wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:15 pm
Sorry should have written the scenario.
Scout the mission and encounter and fail Faux Pas, Orb Experience/Ocular Implants it on the mission, no dilemmas remain under the mission.
Scouting a location is completed at the end of your turn if:

The location is targeted by your Objective;
You have scouted it at least once for that Objective; and
No dilemmas remain to be encountered.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Takket wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:55 pm I played a deck with the Orb of Wisdom on Bajor. Use Here by Invitation and Trust the Prophets to allow Ops DL of Benjamin Sisko (Emissary), move him to Commander's Office, and use Here by Invitation to DL HQ:ROTB right onto him.

Only reason why I didn't get the orb on turn one was crazy stupid bad luck of not drawing any [Baj] personnel in my opening hand. Note that since Recover stolen material requires a non- [Fed] away team, I also seeded HQ:Secure Homeworld on Bajor to allow Sisko to attempt with some [Baj] .
This is pretty sick. You found the puzzle pieces I was missing. Thanks for sharing!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:46 pm This thread is a good reminder to build out [BB] dilemma combos in my deck for the release event. :shifty:
I mean, yes and no. Recover Stolen Material lets you seed the artifact in the facility phase (so first encountered) and HQ: Return Orb to Bajor let's you immediately earn your Orb artifact of choice. Paired with a turn 1 download of Kira Nerys off of Defend Homeworld just means you need to find the HQ card in your opening hand, which should not be hard if you run enough of them. That said, I am sure I am not the first person to come up with this combo - most likely @Kaiser already has.
While this is all true, if someone wants to spam Orb Experiences after they've acquired the orbs, they'll need to pay the consequences.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
That player may not attempt or scout this mission until another mission has been completed (or scouted) by either player, then re-seed the dilemma at the same mission.
oh... this entry needs another wording. Every non-[Bor]-player has to wait until anoter mission gets solved. A [Bor]-player just have to scout another location. No word is written that scouting has to be completed.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Looks like Klingons have a way to download it. (Someone forgot to put DH's "except Return Orb To Bajor" on an HQ download...)

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Scouting a location is completed at the end of your turn if:

The location is targeted by your Objective;
You have scouted it at least once for that Objective; and
No dilemmas remain to be encountered.
Well that's different. That I do not know. But I think the question to be asked is "Is Faux Pas, sitting on top of the mission, still a dilemma to be encountered?" Because you've met the other two requirements.
(A dilemma that has entered play, such as Friendly Fire or Cytherians, no longer remains to be encountered, and so does not prevent scouting from being complete.) Completion of scouting is permanent. Addition of a seed card (such as a Q: A Dazzling Flash, using Beware of Q) after scouting is complete has no effect on that status.
It sure seems like once Faux Pas is placed on the mission it has "entered play" and scouting should be complete, and the next line about "addition of a seed card" seems to imply that faux Pas going back under the mission will have no effect on scouting being complete either. This is just my guess.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Enabran wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:47 pm
That player may not attempt or scout this mission until another mission has been completed (or scouted) by either player, then re-seed the dilemma at the same mission.
oh... this entry needs another wording. Every non-[Bor]-player has to wait until anoter mission gets solved. A [Bor]-player just have to scout another location. No word is written that scouting has to be completed.
To my considerable surprise, I researched this tonight and it's not a mistake. The Glossary entry for [BB] spells it out even more clearly:
If a player examines a card with the [BB] icon any time other than during a mission or scouting attempt, place it on the mission where it was seeded. That player may not attempt or scout this mission until another mission has been completed or a scouting attempt initiated by either player,
[BB] is genuinely easier for [Bor]. I do not know why that is. Further research into when it was called "Peekaboo" suggests that there may have been a miscommunication between Design and Rules that went unnoticed, but I'm not sure. It will certainly need a few weeks of discussion before any action could be taken.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:20 pm
Looks like Klingons have a way to download it. (Someone forgot to put DH's "except Return Orb To Bajor" on an HQ download...)
Here By Invitation can fetch it.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:02 am [BB] is genuinely easier for [Bor].
:shifty: :shifty:

I now feel compelled to build a Borg deck that runs the Orb Experience scan trick. Return Orb to Bajor can play on Borg just fine (once you use an OE to give an [Orb] icon) but there's no easy way to download it or guarantee facing an Orb first. I will admit my fascination with pulling off the trick for style points is clouding my judgment as to how good of a deck this would actually be.

Edit: Undetected Beam-In + One of Fourteen (to fetch a Distribution Node for Acquisition and INT > 6 for Orb Experience) + Secret Compartment + probe rigging, perhaps?

By Yalenus
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:02 am [BB] is genuinely easier for [Bor]. I do not know why that is. Further research into when it was called "Peekaboo" suggests that there may have been a miscommunication between Design and Rules that went unnoticed, but I'm not sure. It will certainly need a few weeks of discussion before any action could be taken.
My guess, and it's only a guess, is because scouting another location is a larger investment for [Bor] . After all, wouldn't it require using A Change of Plans or something similar to get another [BO] [Obj] to enable the scouting since you can only have one [BO] [Obj] in play at a time.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Rachmaninoff wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:56 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:02 am [BB] is genuinely easier for [Bor].
:shifty: :shifty:

I now feel compelled to build a Borg deck that runs the Orb Experience scan trick. Return Orb to Bajor can play on Borg just fine (once you use an OE to give an [Orb] icon) but there's no easy way to download it or guarantee facing an Orb first. I will admit my fascination with pulling off the trick for style points is clouding my judgment as to how good of a deck this would actually be.

Edit: Undetected Beam-In + One of Fourteen (to fetch a Distribution Node for Acquisition and INT > 6 for Orb Experience) + Secret Compartment + probe rigging, perhaps?
Ignore the facing it first and using hqrotb part of the equation. Just scout a mission, complete scouting and get the orb with the survey drone. Use Bariel's integrity and make it thematic. Save the return orb stuff for if you do all this with TNG Borg.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation