This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Going into our 1st weekend, here is where we stand:

Gamma Quadrant (Upper Left)
84 votes
1 blowout (Winner has 75% or more of the votes)
1 tie
1 upset

Alpha Quadrant (Lower Left)
83 votes
1 blowout
1 nail biter (Cards are less than 8 votes apart)
3 upsets

Delta Quadrant (Upper Right)
83 votes
2 nail biters
1 upset

Beta Quadrant (Lower Right)
82 votes
4 nail biters
1 tie
3 upsets

Note: Some of the match ratings (blowout, nail biter, upset) may overlap, i.e. an upset can also be a blowout.

And we only need 18 more votes to get all of the polls up over 100, doubling the prize pool this week. Go spread the word! Polls remain open until NOON Pacific time on Monday!

-crp
 -  
Prophet
We need 10 more people to get to the double prize threshold. Can we do it before polls close tomorrow at NOON?

Remember, please do not vote more than once. If we have to require logins to deter people voting more than once, overall participation will go down and that's just no fun.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
First round of polls are closed! Average participation across the 4 polls was just over 101, which means we did hit the double-prize threshold. That's awesome! I will draw prizes after I get everything set up for the 2nd round this week.

Our field of 64 is now halved, and that means 32 card concepts have been eliminated. Here's a breakdown of each concept sources (Re-run, Submission, or Broken Link) performed:

Broken Links
The competition started with 12 broken link concepts. Round 1 saw 6 of those lose their battles, meaning 6 are remaining. That's a casualty rate of 50%.

Re-Runs
There were also 12 returning favorite concepts at the start of the competition. A total of 7 of those were knocked out in round 1, leaving 5 left. That gives a casualty rate of 58.3%.

Submitted Ideas
From your submissions, we put 40 concepts into the initial bracket. Round 1 led to 19 of those being culled, giving us 21 left. That means 48.5% of the user submitted concepts were casualties in round 1.

All in all, it was pretty balanced between the 3 categories. I admit to being surprised by that, but I should be used to that by now - it always happens.

I'll post more tomorrow. For now, I have to finish my workday and then get everything set up and ready for Wednesday. That's when round 2 - and our first surprise - will begin.

-crp
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Any upsets with the top seeds?

Any bottom seeds still in it?

I know we get double the prizes for over one hundred polls; do we get triple or quadruple with over two hundred?

Since there is a first surprise how many surprises should we expect ... or is that a surprise?

Could you explain a bit more about the decision for allowing two cards in one slot? If so, what would it be?

Did you vote?

Are we allowed to ask questions?

There's a lot of mention of romantic couples in the bracket. is there something you want to tell us? Are congratulations in order?
 -  
Prophet
I have been sick most of the day, so I apologize for not posting earlier. Fortunately, Ross set me up to give you some info!
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 am Any upsets with the top seeds?
Any bottom seeds still in it?
Yes! In fact, we had one of the #1 seeds fall to a #16 seed, which I didn't expect. A quick scan through the results shows a total of 10 upsets out of 32 matches.
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 amI know we get double the prizes for over one hundred polls; do we get triple or quadruple with over two hundred?
Well, I hadn't planned on it because we've never come anywhere near that level. But sure - if we get to 150 average across the polls this week, I'll triple the pot (3 borderless + 3 non-borderless).
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 amSince there is a first surprise how many surprises should we expect ... or is that a surprise?
There is a surprise / bonus every week this year. 5 years is worth celebrating!
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 amCould you explain a bit more about the decision for allowing two cards in one slot? If so, what would it be?
Onara and Brekka are so intimately related, I couldn't imagine them being separate. More specifically, I couldn't see making 1 without also making the other. That way, if 1 of the planets won, I would just guarantee them both getting made. Bashir and O'Brien would be a single card, just a new dual personnel.
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 amDid you vote?
Nope! I hold my votes in case there is a tie, in which case I break the tie.
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 amAre we allowed to ask questions?
Always.
Faithful Reader wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:22 amThere's a lot of mention of romantic couples in the bracket. is there something you want to tell us? Are congratulations in order?
Nope, no news and no congratulations.

-crp
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
I'm relieved that the storytelling cards generally moved on over the nouns! I'm personally particularly invested in the TNG storytelling cards that could interact with PAQ nouns (like Decode Genetic Message and Race to the Gomtuu), but the non-TNG ones will likely be fun too (having the Baseball and Loyalty Test Holoprograms face-off in this round is rough).

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
generally I prefer the storytelling > nouns as well, except in this context there's a few major moments that are touched on that I don't feel can be captured in 1 card alone.

(Annorax, Kosst Amojan, etc).

I don't want to see an Annorax without a fully fleshed out Krenim, for example. Always back of my mind is the "mistakes" from PAQ, like Evek, etc.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote:I'm relieved that the storytelling cards generally moved on over the nouns
boromirofborg wrote:generally I prefer the storytelling > nouns as well, except in this context there's a few major moments that are touched on that I don't feel can be captured in 1 card alone.
:thumbsup:

My general rules of thumb are "verbs over nouns", "broken links over brand-new cards", and "new personnel over yet another persona of a main" but the specific matchups this year have made me go the other way a few times.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
There are a lot of reasons why I should not be doing this -- why it is, in fact, against my personal best interests -- and yet I keep voting for Ten Forward in hopes someone makes it as a Site card.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:56 am There are a lot of reasons why I should not be doing this -- why it is, in fact, against my personal best interests -- and yet I keep voting for Ten Forward in hopes someone makes it as a Site card.
This is the kind of idea that makes me wish for a boutique set of non-tournament legal, "wouldn't it be cool if..." cards. My all-time favorite card, purely from a "whoa" perspective, is the original Devidian Door -- yes, the one with all the rules problems and balance problems and all its other baggage -- just for the audacity of designing a card whose effect comes before its cause. I'm also fond of the Fajo Collection cards and Quantum Incursions for the same reasons.

Is there a way to let the creative juices run free while sidestepping the major rules / balance issues by explicitly declaring some cards only for use in casual settings -- where rules issues can be worked out by the players in the spirit of Star Trek (exactly as the Premiere rulebook suggested!), and social pressure reins in balance concerns (you don't get invited back to game night if you bring the same cheese every time). Kind of like a M:TG "Un" set, but less about comedy and more about pushing the design envelope; maybe a "concept car" is a better analogy. And who knows, if something works, there's no reason it can't find its way into a "real" expansion...

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Rachmaninoff wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:47 pm Kind of like a M:TG "Un" set, but less about comedy and more about pushing the design envelope; maybe a "concept car" is a better analogy. And who knows, if something works, there's no reason it can't find its way into a "real" expansion...
Agreed, and in many ways the Unsets have been used as that in the past.

and one advantage we have being printable, is if CardX works out well, it's easy to later "change the border" and make it legal.
 -  
Prophet
Here is an update from (not quite) 24 hours in:

We have an average of 66 votes across the 2 polls. This is already about 50% better at this point than last week, which puts us on pace to hit the double prize threshold by the weekend.

9 of the 16 matches, were they to end right now, would be upsets.
10 of the matches are currently being decided by less than 5 votes.
One of the cards with the strongest performance is Round 1 is currently getting trounced.

Currently, the card in the second chance polls with the most number of votes is U.S.S. Saratoga from DS9's "Emissary." I wouldn't have called that.

-crp

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:56 am There are a lot of reasons why I should not be doing this -- why it is, in fact, against my personal best interests -- and yet I keep voting for Ten Forward in hopes someone makes it as a Site card.
Didn't star wars do this with ship sites and vehicle sites? And their ships have a max capacity built in.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
winterflames wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:38 am
Didn't star wars do this with ship sites and vehicle sites? And their ships have a max capacity built in.
Yep, there were Executor and Sandcrawler sites.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
You can design that as your reward for giving us Club Martus first. :wink:

C'mon, folks. The only thing better than drinking and gambling at Quark's is drinking and gambling at Quark's AFTER gambling at Club Martus and drinking at Ten Forward. I'll have the Sauran Brandy, pour favor. :cheersL: :cheersR:
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation