This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

-  
Hello, as a massive Trekkie I have good memories of playing Star Trek CCG 1E in the 90s but have not played in decades and no longer have my old card collection.

My question is - will I enjoy some fun games if I pick up some starter decks to play against each other? I remember this experience varying wildly between games in this era with mismatched power levels and poor card configurations sometimes leading to disappointment. If it is possible to have some fun with the starter sets which are available, are there any you’d particularly recommend?

Thanks for your time 🖖
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
CeruleanBlue wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:14 pm Hello, as a massive Trekkie I have good memories of playing Star Trek CCG 1E in the 90s but have not played in decades and no longer have my old card collection.

My question is - will I enjoy some fun games if I pick up some starter decks to play against each other? I remember this experience varying wildly between games in this era with mismatched power levels and poor card configurations sometimes leading to disappointment. If it is possible to have some fun with the starter sets which are available, are there any you’d particularly recommend?

Thanks for your time 🖖
Welcome back!

Sadly, I cannot recommend the Premiere starters for playing against each other. They are just a random assortment of 60 cards. I have found that they generally do not provide enough cards to play an actual game, as there is no guarantee you will get enough missions or personnel to do them.

I can recommend buying a couple of starters and using them as backers for the Coming of Age starter decks. If you print the four starters at this link, you can cut the cards out and sleeve them them with the backing cards. This will provide you and your play group with a much more satisfying playing experience.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
DS9 sealed decks are fun to play but hard to acquire.

Voyager Warp Speed starters have recently become harder to acquire but also fun to play.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
If you want a reasonable 2 player experience at a very reasonable price, I'd recommend a pair of Trouble with Tribbles starters.

While they aren't the best decks in the history of the world, they are at least fully playable and you can get them for literally a few dollars from many sources.

Hope that helps... welcome back! :cheersL:

-  
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

The Coming of Age Starter Decks seem like a great idea but I was really keen to play with physical cards from the original run.

The warning about the Premiere Starters being just 60 random cards is really useful. They are exactly the kind of product I want to avoid.

Another commenter suggested the Trouble with Tribbles starter decks and mentioned that they are playable (if not very powerful) out of the box, so I’ve gone with them.

Thanks again 🙏
[/quote]

Welcome back!

Sadly, I cannot recommend the Premiere starters for playing against each other. They are just a random assortment of 60 cards. I have found that they generally do not provide enough cards to play an actual game, as there is no guarantee you will get enough missions or personnel to do them.

I can recommend buying a couple of starters and using them as backers for the Coming of Age starter decks. If you print the four starters at this link, you can cut the cards out and sleeve them them with the backing cards. This will provide you and your play group with a much more satisfying playing experience.
[/quote]

-  
This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Have ordered them and am looking forward to trying them out :D ! Thanks so much for identifying them as playable out of box.
Armus wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:50 pm If you want a reasonable 2 player experience at a very reasonable price, I'd recommend a pair of Trouble with Tribbles starters.

While they aren't the best decks in the history of the world, they are at least fully playable and you can get them for literally a few dollars from many sources.

Hope that helps... welcome back! :cheersL:

-  
Hey, thanks for the suggestion. The folks I’ll be playing with are hoping to try this IRL on the tabletop but I might check out Lackey as a way to get some extra games in for myself. I always find that I’m a little slow operating things like TTS or Lackey and this coupled with having to learn the game rules from scratch will mean I’ll need to find some very patient opponents on there :D
Rancour@gmx.de wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:51 am Hi,
you could use Lackey to play. There are starter decks you can use and it´s all for free :D

-  
Thanks for the reply! Gosh, I don’t think I’ve even seen them listed in the places I’ve looked to buy from. Will definitely keep an eye out for them though :cheersL:
KazonPADD wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:46 pm DS9 sealed decks are fun to play but hard to acquire.

Voyager Warp Speed starters have recently become harder to acquire but also fun to play.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
CeruleanBlue wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:35 am Hey, thanks for the suggestion. The folks I’ll be playing with are hoping to try this IRL on the tabletop but I might check out Lackey as a way to get some extra games in for myself. I always find that I’m a little slow operating things like TTS or Lackey and this coupled with having to learn the game rules from scratch will mean I’ll need to find some very patient opponents on there :D
Rancour@gmx.de wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:51 am Hi,
you could use Lackey to play. There are starter decks you can use and it´s all for free :D
I was nervous forever about trying lackey. My advice is to download it, install it, play around with it on your own for a little while, then watch this video, which was great and really got me ready to try it. It is not too difficult!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fecjrBr8o6g
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]