This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Happy Friday and of course Happy St. Paddy’s Day! :cheersR: :cheersR: :cheersR:

Here in the UK, it’s also Red Nose Day (Comic Relief). It’s a big charity fundraiser on TV every 2 years, and school children and workplaces up and down the country work to raise money for good causes.

Originally when it started in the 1980’s it just featured comedians, but has since been widened to all celebrities, who you’ll now potentially find in all manner of weird and wonderful comedy sketches.

So, being in the mood for something funny, that is also the theme of todays 1EFQ: What is your favourite amusing / humorous scene from Star Trek?

Is this something already captured on a 1E card? Is it something which needs to be captured in future? Let us know your thoughts!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
The whole episode is fun, but Data's "Baby needs a new pair of shoes" line followed by *roll* *snap* hit at the end of The Royale has always been particularly amusing to me.

That'd be a fun moment to capture on a card.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I'm always amused by the bachelorette party in "You Are Cordially Invited" and the hangover the next morning.

Anything in Star Trek: Lower Decks, really.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
One of the top for me is really the entire "In the Cards" episode, but especially the "Lions, and Geigers and Bears.... Oh My." bit, which felt like the starting point of the wrtiers, and they reverse engineered from there.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
"She hit Lancelot!" And a little bit later "I was married!"

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Worf on the baseball field "Find him and kill him!"

and "Death to the opposition!!!!!"

Also Odo quoting the MLB rulebook about touching an umpire "Look it up, but do it from the stands, you're gone!"

Sisko: "Promise you won't tell anyone."
Yates: "I promise"
Scene changes
Yates to entire crew "I promised I won't say anything..."

i just love that whole episode.

Oh and Leck after he shoots the holographic Moogie "I saw we weren't going to rescue her, so I put her out of her misery."

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
There are so many great bits from TOS - mostly in scenes that involve Shatner, Kelley and Nemoy. Just one example that comes to the front of my mind, from the final seconds of "The Apple"

Capt. Kirk : Doctor, do I understand him correctly? Are you casting me in the role of Satan?
Mr. Spock : Not at all, Captain.
Capt. Kirk : [circumnavigating Spock with McCoy] Is there anyone on this ship who even remotely looks like Satan?
Mr. Spock : I am not aware of anyone who fits that description, Captain.
Capt. Kirk : No, Mr. Spock, I didn't think you would.

I can see a fun card based on this. If we were still making [Ref] cards, we could do it as one that reacts to your opponent playing The Devil. Or maybe it could be one of those cards with an OK primary function -- perhaps allowing your Vulcan facing a dilemma to use another skill as if it were Treachery, Greed, Acquisition or Smuggling -- and which has a secondary function of nullifying The Devil.

Another fantastic scene one from TOS is where Harry Mudd recounts how he got to "Planet Mudd" with the Kirk, Spock and McCoy "translating" his story:

MUDD: Yes, well, I organised a technical information service bringing modern industrial techniques to backward planets, making available certain valuable patents to struggling young civilisations throughout the galaxy.
KIRK: Did you pay royalties to the owners of those patents?
MUDD: Well, actually, Kirk, as a defender of the free enterprise system, I found myself in a rather ambiguous conflict as a matter of principle.
SPOCK: He did not pay royalties.
MUDD: Knowledge, sir, should be free to all.
KIRK: Who caught you?
MUDD: That, sir, is an outrageous assumption.
KIRK: Yes. Who caught you?
MUDD: I sold the Denebians all the rights to a Vulcan fuel synthesiser.
KIRK: And the Denebians contacted the Vulcans.
MUDD: How'd you know?
KIRK: That's what I would have done.
MUDD: It's typical police mentality. They've got no sense of humour. They arrested me.
MCCOY: Oh, I find that shocking.
MUDD: Worse than that. Do know what the penalty for fraud is on Deneb Five?
SPOCK: The guilty party has his choice. Death by electrocution, death by gas, death by phaser, death by hanging.
MUDD: The key word in your entire peroration, Mister Spock, was, death. Barbarians. Well, of course, I left.
KIRK: He broke jail.
MUDD: I borrowed transportation.
KIRK: He stole a spaceship.
MUDD: The patrol reacted in a hostile manner.
KIRK: They fired at him.
MUDD: They've no respect for private property. They damaged the bloody spaceship. Well, I got away, but I couldn't navigate, so I wandered out through unmapped space, and here I found Mudd.
SPOCK: You went to substantial risk and effort to bring a starship here. Logically, you must have a compelling motive.
MUDD: Spock, you're going to love it here. They all talk just the way you do.

This scene has enough great lines that you can get cards out of it at frequency-per minute of runtime similar to Decipher's Star Wars game.

"They all talk just the way you do" would be fun to allow you treat any number of Vulcans already in play as Androids or Androids in play as a Vulcans. (Which would not only open doors on a Kolinahr deck but would allow a deck full of those very logical androids from Mudd's planet to play Only Logical.)

"Defender of the free enterprise system" seems like it could be something fun that would work for Smuggling and Acquisition personnel -- basically, like a Rule of Acquisition without the icon.

"Deneb Five Options" seems like it would be an incident with the miniscule lore box with the words "On Deneb 5, the guilty party has a choice of penalty..." And the textbox would be something like:
Each time an opponent faces a random selection that would result in death, she or he has a choice:
Death by electrocution: you may draw a card
Death by gas: opponent discards a card.
Death by phaser: you may download a hand weapon
Death by hanging: the selection is your choice

Mudds' rambling story itself might make a fun dilemma -- it takes, Kirk, Spock and Bones intervening at points, so maybe you need to stop exactly 3 total personnel that have a certain skill set, say Leadership, Computerskill, Science and Medical?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Quark's scream... Armin Shimerman did a convention here in PA over 25 years ago, and he was having a good time on stage, speaking to the fans. His favorite number was Quark's scream, complete with hand motions, facial expressions and body language.

Another great convention involved Andrew Robinson aka Elim Garak, it was his first Star Trek Convention. Garak is my favorite DS9 character, but at the time DS9 was new, and I was too young to understand it during the first two seasons. I had no idea who Garak was, but his line was short and the autograph was free (included with admission in those days). I was with my mother, and being last in line spent a few minutes talking to him. He was very nervous and worried they were going to have him leave as the more popular actors arrived and needed more room. As we were leaving a bunch of guys showed up to move his table. Throughout the day, we went back to that area for other autographs and every time we did, we'd say hello, and he was a in a different spot. By the end of the day, he was in the back corner of the room. "Oh yes, I'm still here... in my own private little corner ...". Good times...

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Can't get much better than the Trouble with Tribbles - especially Kirk being buried by a giant pile of future toupees hairballs.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
jrch5618 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:22 pm Can't get much better than the Trouble with Tribbles - especially Kirk being buried by a giant pile of future toupees hairballs.
Oh but it can.... When they seemlessly tied-in the tribble that Jadzia casually tosses into the tribble that bounces off Kirk's head.
Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]