This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
WeAreBack wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:15 am And how did I miss this obvious one? New TNG versions of Morgan Bateson and the U.S.S. Bozeman (which would be "Captain Bateson" and "Starship Bozeman") issued with the [1E-AU] [CF] icons.

Consistent with all other [1E-AU] [CF] characters who exist in TNG, Captain Bateson would not be a persona version of Morgan Bateson, and in fact would be ❖. (His lore could describe him as "typical" 23rd century captain, which he assuredly was before coming forward in time, as well as the mandatory cheers/Fraiser joke), but otherwise unchanged. The [CF] [1E-AU] [1E-TNG] Starship Bozeman would be Unique (in keeping with the unwritten "no universal ships with universal matching commanders) rule and have to have a [CF] staffing requirement, lose any Borg bonus and probably some weapons, in order to prevent it becoming the universal second ship downloaded on Turn 1 in [Fed] [1E-TNG] deck using Reunite Legends.

Notably, Batesons's skills of Leadership and Stellar cartography are missing on the existing ❖ [CF] [1E-AU] [1E-TNG] personnel, so he perfectly fills a hole in the Make a Difference Again deck. (I know we're supposed to use some other ❖ [1E-TNG] as part of these decks, but it would be nice to be able to have the other regular non-intelligence skills would be Medical, Biology, Archeology, Diplomacy, Law and Music, but as it is you can't get past dilemmas like A bad end without outside help.)

I know there is a TNG [1E-AU] set planned, so this seems like an obvious way to fill out this new deck type.
I love this, and I would make the Bozeman have special text that allows it to benefit from Workhorses of the Fleet as well...
Maybe something like "Adds Soyuz-class to Workhorses of the Fleet" or similar...

That way you could download it with Reunite Legends and later play a ❖ U.S.S. Soyuz for free... :shifty:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
jjh wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:35 pm New affiliation = Tholians.

(I'd have to do A LOT of work in one day)
I have two questions:

(1) Why the Tholians in particular? (Instead of, say, Andorians? Or Nausicaans?)

(2) How Tholians? Don't we only have two total Tholian images? It sounds very cool; I just can't wrap my head around this bit.

By Yalenus
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:09 pm

I have two questions:

(1) Why the Tholians in particular? (Instead of, say, Andorians? Or Nausicaans?)

(2) How Tholians? Don't we only have two total Tholian images? It sounds very cool; I just can't wrap my head around this bit.
So I know for me the answer to 1 is they've got a neat hook with the energy web, their "personality" onscreen is interesting through their ambassador, and they've been a fun side reference elsewhere. Bring in "not quite canon" material, and they just become fascinatingly, weirdly neat.

Plus I play them in Starfleet Battles.

2...well, yeah, I've got no idea. We've got the one from ENT, and Loskene from TNG. And that's pretty much it. But oh...oh if we had more...

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
AllenGould wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:00 pm Since I see everyone is swinging for the fences, let's do the obvious: add [AQ] to all the relevant cards.
I would 100%support this. And in the same vein, once that's done, allow Space, Nebula,and Planet to go to any quadrent.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I would make stopped mean stopped and none of this contributing skills and being able to be targeted by stuff after a personnel is stopped.

I think that means I also have to fix Navigate Plasma Storms somehow.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:35 pm I would make stopped mean stopped and none of this contributing skills and being able to be targeted by stuff after a personnel is stopped.

I think that means I also have to fix Navigate Plasma Storms somehow.
This is one of the strange discongruities between 1E and 2E, and honestly, 1E's approach seems more intuitive to me. A personnel might "lose" their skills after being stopped, but stuff like species and affiliation seem pretty inherent to me.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:09 pm

I have two questions:

1. Why? The Tholians are SO unique - on-screen and in TrekLit. They've got a "cool thing" (the Web) but more importantly they are a super unconventional Star Trek species. IDIC. I also like the idea of taking a big swing at a creative project like this.

2. How? First, I would set guidelines that this would be something like Vidiians or Kazon, as far as Nouns and Verbs. Give me a day with Leonardo.ai and I'll deliver 30 cool-looking Tholians. (Star Trek 101 idea - the Tholian color hue would reflect their Classification) Then Creative can have a blast creating lore and skills for Nouns that fill out a matrix that hovers around Lawful Neutral.

It's time for 1E to take some bigger swings.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Neat! Thanks.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I'd start a design project to clean up and simplify the game. =)
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
KazonPADD wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:16 am Obviously, I’m not talking sweeping or groundbreaking changes here. Something small and achievable in a short timescale?
Smiley wrote:I'd start a design project to clean up and simplify the game. =)
:shifty:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Smiley wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:27 pm I'd start a design project to clean up and simplify the game. Turn 1e into 2e =)
Anyone else read it that way (along with a maniacal laugh or two thrown in for good measure)? :wink:

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
KazonPADD wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:37 pm
KazonPADD wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:16 am Obviously, I’m not talking sweeping or groundbreaking changes here. Something small and achievable in a short timescale?
Smiley wrote:I'd start a design project to clean up and simplify the game. =)
Shure! It's the act of starting the project that is doable within the day Charlie is gone. =)

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:46 pm
Smiley wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:27 pm I'd start a design project to clean up and simplify the game. Turn 1e into 2e =)
Anyone else read it that way (along with a maniacal laugh or two thrown in for good measure)? :wink:
I'm quite fed up with this snide towards the other game and, well, the idea that any streamlining and simplification makes the game any less of 1E than it would be. The game is becoming unwieldy and over-complex just for the sake of complexity instead of adding depth and flexibility to gameplay. All we have to do it to look back to the days of OTSD or FC/DS9, for that matter, to see the game being simpler and still have space for a lot of games there. And I hope no one would say that that is less 1E even though it is less complex than what we have today.

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]

New Tribbles are coming! Look busy! https://www.t[…]

You will need one more thing for this - compatibil[…]