This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hello all!
I have a proposal: you tell me the coolest deck you encountered this month, preferably with a link to the deck or event and a player handle, and we collect them, consider them, then vote one of them the Coolest Deck of the Month!

To start, here are the rules:
1)The Nominations have to include why you feel it was a cool deck (a neat mechanic, a deck that sticks to story-mode, a here-to-fore unheard of affiliation combination).
2) If the deck was in a tourney, it cannot have won the tourney, please link to the tournament (even if the tournament is not completed or the deck hasn't been posted).
3) You must be able to provide a way of contacting the player to me should they win the Coolest deck. (Email, Facebook, Discord, Skype, Zoom, Forums, etc.)
4) Your nomination should include a question for the winning player. I will select some of the best questions to ask.
5) Nominations close on the 5th of the month. Polls open the 7th of the month, to close the 15th. Next nominations will be open on the 25th of the month, with the interview and winning deck announcement.

I reserve the right to change the rules at any time, issue arbitrary announcements, and inexplicably disappear.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Easy one for me:

Alexander Schmitz's (@TyKajada) [1E-DQ] [1E-Maq] deck from this month's Nemesis Release Event

I don't have a deck list, so I'm not sure if it's release achievement-eligible, but honestly, in this case I don't care, because it was amazing to actually see a [1E-DQ] [1E-Maq] deck in the wild!

And this thing was legit! 3 [1E-DQ] planets, 2 Badlands [1E-S] and 1 badlands [1E-P] mission made it real hard for me to cover everything with my dilemmas. Alex was able to take advantage of this and solve all 3 of his [1E-DQ] Planet missions, my only saving grace being the fact that I was able to hold him off a bit in space.

But it was really cool to see The Only Way Home in the wild. And honestly, the combination of [1E-Maq] and [1E-DQ] people is a really solid skill base.

After seeing it in action, it's not necessarily tier 1, but it's better than I'm guessing most people think it is, and can definitely pull a move on an unprepared opponent.

Mad props to Alex for trotting out such an unconventional deck! :cheersL:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Like a jerk, I'm going to nominate myself:

Tin Mans (Or: Keep Droning On) - https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/?mo ... ckID=30593

(1) This deck takes Distant Control, which is already a weird card (I love it: it's absurdly strong against some dilemmas and totally helpless against others, making for a very weird topsy-turvy kind of game). And then the deck is just obscenely devoted to this mechanic. Every card in the deck is native and reports to the Control Room. They all do Distant Control attempts. I set myself a rule before playing that I would never move a personnel beyond Romulus, and ideally would never leave the Romulus Time Location at all. I kept that rule. Remotely solved a lot of space missions, but never even attempted a planet.

This particular version was my first ever attempt to use Spires, which I have always considered inferior to Comfort Women, but it allowed me to lose Verex III and opened me up to use more cards from the new set (which Kevin Jaeger wanted to do for a filmed game online).

(2) ...and I finished 4th out of 5 for my troubles. It's not a great deck, but it is a scary deck when it first hits the table and you realize "oh crap he can attempt turn one and his personnel are essentially unkillable". https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/?mode ... ntID=12442

(3) PM me

(4) "Why are your dilemmas so bad? Did you know going in that they were that bad?"

P.S. I think Jason's deck is cool, but he's ineligible because he won, and also I built that particular deck, so it'd still be selfish. Hobie's Klingon monster-hunter deck from that event is cool but I want to see another round of refinement before I nominate it. I didn't play against Joe Kallstrom but rumor is his deck was cool. Kris's deck was a pretty standard Staging Ground deck which everyone agrees was not especially cool (but a good solid deck for a tier-one player; he would have won the event had he not had to drop).

P.P.S. Re: the deck title: Ska is great, you guys.
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:05 pm But it was really cool to see The Only Way Home in the wild. And honestly, the combination of [1E-Maq] and [1E-DQ] people is a really solid skill base.
Oh, gosh, someone finally got this working? That's amazing! I've wanted to do this for a decade, but could never get all the moving parts to match up into something I actually enjoyed playing / could win a game.

Kudos to Ty Kajada. Very strong contender out of the gate. I want to see the decklist, too.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:40 pm
Armus wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:05 pm But it was really cool to see The Only Way Home in the wild. And honestly, the combination of [1E-Maq] and [1E-DQ] people is a really solid skill base.
Oh, gosh, someone finally got this working? That's amazing! I've wanted to do this for a decade, but could never get all the moving parts to match up into something I actually enjoyed playing / could win a game.

Kudos to Ty Kajada. Very strong contender out of the gate. I want to see the decklist, too.
Thanks guys.
I am back from my travels.. I will put up the deck list shortly.
:)

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
TyKajada wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:08 am
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:40 pm

Thanks guys.
I am back from my travels.. I will put up the deck list shortly.

The [1E-DQ] [1E-Maq] deck is up

By Exon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E Risa Regional Champion 2023
I'll toss in another nomination because I agree that this is a great idea.

I enjoyed this deck from @SirDan at our local March event.

It's been ages since I've seen The Inner Light in action, such a cool storyline-based objective that ties together a lot of older cards. Extra story points for using it with Kataan and the Finest Crew in the Fleet (I've also been watching Picard's final season and taking in The Next Generation nostalgia lately).

Dan had started off a little slow in reporting (he mentions that he'd probably adjust the free-play ratios), but the personnel he did bring in were tanks (and even more theme credit for playing the likes of Jack Crusher). And he eventually left me in the dust after scoring Investigate Alien Probe for a whopping 70 points. So I lost the game, but I did get to see Picard, Data and company pass Row, Row, Row Your Boat with 2 Music!

Props for a very entertaining 1E experience.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:08 pm
No lies detected.

However, I prefer The Bosstones as my Ska go-to.

That said, Save Ferris's version of Come on Eileen was a standard on my college mp3 Playlist (anyone else remember WinAmp?). Ditto RBF's rendition of Take On Me and the severely underrated Letters to Cleo take on I Want You To Want Me... and, and... I better stop there before I derail this thread anymore than I already have.

The late 1990s was an amazing time to be alive and into music. I pity those born in the 21st century that missed out on it.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:35 am
No lies detected.

That said, Save Ferris's version of Come on Eileen was a standard on my college mp3 Playlist (anyone else remember WinAmp?). Ditto RBF's rendition of Take On Me and the severely underrated Letters to Cleo take on I Want You To Want Me... and, and... I better stop there before I derail this thread anymore than I already have.

The late 1990s was an amazing time to be alive and into music. I pity those born in the 21st century that missed out on it.
Curse you two and your YouTube black hole
of suprising cool music
! Now I have to work instead of finishing collecting for my poll. For this reason, Nominations may still be made through the next 24 hours from this post. Then the poll will go up some time noonish in the continental US tomorrow.
 -  
Community Contributor
May I sneak in and nominate Robert Peterson (@Hobie)'s [Fed] [CF] deck? Tournament system says it was only played in January but I feel sure I saw it somewhere around these parts in March.

https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/?mo ... ckID=29937

The deck notes are all about Gillian Taylor, but the reason I nominated it is the gimmick: Hobie stocks Dead In Bed x12. When his opponent hits The Whale Probe, he drops all of them and kills the entire crew. This can also be used later on, as The Whale Probe makes its way up / down the spaceline. What a lovely surprise to those encountering it!

Question if he wins: how did you get this idea? Please describe the moment it hatched in your brain.
Armus wrote:
No lies detected.

I can't argue with a word of this -- and you know it's me, so I would if I could!

I was not actually listening to music in the 1990s. My taste in popular music was notoriously narrow until my senior year of high school. On the radio, I only listened to Jazz FM and NPR. On CD, I listened to Paul Simon, Frank Sinatra, and the Beatles. On Real Audio Player, I listened to film and TV scores. That was it. Finally, in 2007, when I was a high school senior, a friend made it a personal point of pride to educate me in the wide world of song. My first Bosstones song was on that CD. I slllllooooooowwwwwwly branched out from there. (I started a Pandora account the following year and discovered a lot.)

Turns out ska is great even if you missed the entire Ska era. And what a pleasure to start to discover it after the world has more or less passed it by.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:29 pmSka is great, you guys.
Please check out The Urge, if you're looking for new ska bands. The were THE local act in St. Louis in the 90s and had some national success (the did the the soundtrack for Titan AE).
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:29 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:29 pmSka is great, you guys.
Please check out The Urge, if you're looking for new ska bands. The were THE local act in St. Louis in the 90s and had some national success (the did the the soundtrack for Titan AE).
As a professional hazard, I've met a number of people after they have used a flagrantly dangerous amount of cocaine. The manic pace at which words come out of their bodies (and the overwhelming internal pressure pushing those sounds out) can only be described as "ska-like".
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation