This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
What is your favorite part of the game?

I, mean, literally, you sit down to play, the clock starts... what thing are you going to do in the next hour and fifteen minutes that is going to make you happiest?

Is it the strategy of the dilemma phase? The joy of seeing the spaceline unfold? That crazy first turn where you get all your engines running? The moment you reveal your mid-game wombo combo? Attempting missions? Watching your opponent attempt missions while trying to figure out how to stop him? The moment of victory? Or just the banter over the table with (hopefully) a friend?

DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION! ANSWER ME NOW!

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
The moments of interaction.

My favorite times over the years have been battles where tactics flipped the winner (even if I lost), turns where DS9 flipped control back and forth repeatedly, and Borg assimilating counterparts.

Actually, one of my favotire parts was always sliding that cool borg overlay on a personnel.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Seeding dilemmas. Because I put a ton of thought into the dilemmas I'm playing and why and how I can shift and adapt to what I'm reading from the opponent. It's the most chess part of this 3d chess game

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Polluting the space line! With the Nexus, whale probe, 2 or 3 self dilemmas, and my opponent sent off on a Cytherian run, I enjoy seeing the pure devastation.

If I could justify a pile of Communication cards (Hail, incoming message) to put pause to my opponent at just the right time, I would.

I long to have a Borg ship, maman Picard combo hit just right!
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Seeing old friends, beers in-between rounds, General bonkers weird 1E shit.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Dilemma seeding is probably my favorite. I love dilemmas in both editions, so the strategy in the seed phase when I have to rethink my combos on the fly based on what my opponent is playing is fun.

It is demonstrably not attempting missions.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
The possibilities of what the next card draw will bring and how each card play will be a reaction/counter-reaction to what is happening on the board.

This follows the craft of making a deck that is less a process and more of a framework to hand stuff on.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
My favorite part of the game is when the "thing" happens. Like, when a particular personnel helps me get past a dilemma that features that same personnel, or when ships that actually faced each other in the show end up in an engagement with each other.

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
During the Decipher era, it was constant striving to master the game and adapting to new metas as each new expansion was released. Now, it's more of getting together with friends and playing Star Trek.

Most of this is being driven by lack of new blood getting into the game and our gaming base - including me - getting older.

One if my biggest game-related regrets is despite my efforts - I went through two phases seriously trying to get younger players interested in the game - I was never able to build a self- sustaining player group. So now occasional casual play is what works.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
To me, this game plays so much like a Rally Cross race. There is so much thought that needs to be put into the design for just the first couple of turns. Getting your play and draw engines in place, critical choices that can really determine the outcome of the game. My favorite part is by far that part of the game. Watching and trying to predict what my opponent is going to do in those critical first turns and the joy of my mechanics working as planned.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]