This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Quick one. The situation that I am asking about is what happens if my opponent encounters one of my [Dual] at a mission that is both [1E-S] [1E-P] or made one through something like Buried Alive I thought I had a handle on it, but I was playing around with the Rules Updater thing and saw this:
Selections are your choice by default
Random selections are always stated explicitly. When selection method is not given in gametext, the selection is made by the person who played the card or encountered the dilemma.

Minor Clarification
Current Rulings 3/26/01 (26 Mar 2001)

Rulebook: Then
So do I control which (Away Team or Crew) encounters the dilemma because it's my card that I seeded or does my opponent choose because they are the one encountering it? I have been playing it that the opponent gets to choose.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
If you're attempting a [1E-S] [1E-P] mission and you encounter a [Dual] dilemma, you choose whether your crew or your Away Team face it, but it's only one or only the other.

Check the dual icon mission entry in the Glossary for details, but I'm pretty sure that's right.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:31 pm If you're attempting a [1E-S] [1E-P] mission and you encounter a [Dual] dilemma, you choose whether your crew or your Away Team face it, but it's only one or only the other.

Check the dual icon mission entry in the Glossary for details, but I'm pretty sure that's right.
Let's all open our Compendiums to 7.2.1 Beginning a Mission Attempt, and read the 7.2.1.0.2 sidebar on "attempting a Dual-Icon Mission":
7.2.1.0.2 wrote:When [D] Dual dilemmas or [Q] Q-icon cards are encountered, the attempting player may choose which team encounters it.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Huh. Follow up:

Now that we have [1E-S] and [1E-P] Dilemmas that throw off [Q] cards, is that bit still true?

How can a crew experience a Q Flash of Q [Q] cards if you can choose the Away Team to face the [Q] cards? Do [Q] cards faced by the Away Team count for purposes of the crew experiencing Q [Q] cards in the flash?

Was this looked at during the [Q] flash redesign a couple years ago?

HOW DOES IT ALL WORK, MAN?!?!

(*Does the @BCSWowbagger rules master summoning dance*)

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:30 pm Huh. Follow up:

Now that we have [1E-S] and [1E-P] Dilemmas that throw off [Q] cards, is that bit still true?

How can a crew experience a Q Flash of Q [Q] cards if you can choose the Away Team to face the [Q] cards? Do [Q] cards faced by the Away Team count for purposes of the crew experiencing Q [Q] cards in the flash?

I believe the rulebook is referring to Q-dilemmas encountered because they were seeded as [Dual] using Beware of Q.

By the time a Q-Flash begins from a dilemma you've encountered, you've already chosen if it applies to the crew or AT.

I believe it works like this:

You encounter a [Q] -dilemma seeded as [Dual] using Beware of Q: You choose if AT or crew faces it.

You encounter Q - Choose the Away Team or crew to face the Q-Flash.

You encounter Q: A Dazzling Flash - Choose the Away Team or crew to face the Q-Flash.

You encounter Q: Enter The Supernova - Your crew faces the Q-Flash. (You don't get to choose because this is a [1E-S] only dilemma.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:42 pm

I believe the rulebook is referring to Q-dilemmas encountered because they were seeded as [Dual] using Beware of Q.

By the time a Q-Flash begins from a dilemma you've encountered, you've already chosen if it applies to the crew or AT.

You encounter a [Q] -dilemma seeded as [Dual] using Beware of Q: You choose if AT or crew faces it.

You encounter Q: A Dazzling Flash - Choose the Away Team or crew to face the Q-Flash.

You encounter Q: Enter The Supernova - Your crew faces the Q-Flash. (You don't get to choose because this is a [1E-S] only dilemma.
That's some pretty good inference, but that's not what the rulebook actually says... which is kind of my point... :wink:

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Armus wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:48 pm
Takket wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:42 pm

That's some pretty good inference, but that's not what the rulebook actually says... which is kind of my point... :wink:
I think it does answer it because the q dilemma tells you the rest. The rules allow you to choose who faces, that sets the number and the dilemma say [they] experience a q flash so all the q cards only affect them.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:42 pm You encounter a [Q] -dilemma seeded as [Dual] using Beware of Q: You choose if AT or crew faces it.

I think this is correct, and that it works with current texts, thanks to the Golden Rule. If you encounter a [Q] card at a [D] mission with no other rules or text about who faces it, follow the general rule: you get to choose which team faces it. But if you encounter a [Q] card at a [D] mission because it is occurring during a Q-Flash (defined by Q-Flash and necessarily triggered by either Q, Q: A Dazzling Flash, or Q: Enter the Supernova), then you follow the text on those cards, which indicates that the personnel who encountered the dilemma must encounter any Q Dilemmas drawn during the flash.

Still, to ward off smart-alecks and rules lawyers, I would not be at all surprised to come back to Rule 7.2.1.0.2 next month and discover that it now says "seeded [Q] Q-icon cards encountered."

SIDEBAR: Remember that only [Q] dilemmas are encountered. Other drawn [Q] cards are played.

EDIT: I started typing this, walked away, and came back after Kevin had posted, but I think I am agreeing with Kevin.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Yup. I agree with all of y'all that's how it *should* work. Makes total sense.

I just think the wording in the rulebook is a bit ambiguous, and am trying to avoid future nonsense and rules arguments by pointing it out now, because as it is I could make the argument that, at least with respect to [Q] Dilemmas, I'm still at a [1E-S] [1E-P] mission, I'm still attempting with a crew and away team, and so I can choose which one faces the [Q] dilemma, even if it's not the same one that faced the dilemma causing the Q Flash.

No need to go down that road when a simple wording tweak clarifying how it really works can be done.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]