This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I love the excelsior s. They're just the best at looking fast. Long, sleek, teardrop shaped. They feel like a comet.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
When I was a kid, I definitely thought the D'Deridex was awesome. I think I still have a large model in my mom's attic somewhere.

But from a pure esthetics, as well as sci-fi coolness perspective I'd have to go with Vulcan Suurock class ships. The central hull has sleekness to it, and the ring is not only beautiful, but suggests a design that has been suggested for space ships in our own time (the ring spins to create a sensation of gravity in our all-too real world of no artificial gravity.)

Balock's Fearius is also beautiful, but takes the sci-fi element to a whole other level of "what if a ship was so advanced it didn't even look like a ship to us?" It was a very neat idea -- especially coming from a team of writers and producers in Season 1 of TOS who only had experience of other space ships from Buck Rogers, Lost in Space and 2001 -- but it's so strange it can't make my list.

For federation ships, I'd have to go with either Voyager for being so sleek or the Enterprise C for using circular shapes so well (the main hull is a perfect circle from the top, while the deflector and nacells are perfect circles from the front.) I actually feel like the Enterprise C was what the original Starship Enterprise from TOS would have looked like if they had the technology and budget to do it back in 1966.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Defiant for me - though the Enterprise D will always have a home in my heart.

Tie for 2nd place is the K'Vort and Vor'Cha ships from the Klingons. I might in the minority but I always like them. And they showed up a lot so it really felt like a military industrial engine was at work for the the Klingons... :twocents:
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Iron Prime wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:16 pm Tie for 2nd place is the K'Vort and Vor'Cha ships from the Klingons. I might in the minority but I always like them. And they showed up a lot so it really felt like a military industrial engine was at work for the the Klingons... :twocents:
(The following ignores the out-of-universe reason we just keep seeing the same models)

I always liked the idea that the Federation displayed their decadence by constantly rejigging their starship classes, while the Klingons found a build that worked and just kept pumping them out. It's a good hull, it does everything the Klingons need the hull to do, why re-invent the wheel?

And in defense of an earlier comment re: Ferengi, I thought it made sense - it's the hull that won the most market share, so everyone buys it; plus, the fact that you can't easily tell if the incoming ship is a Marauder or a Merchant has likely been abused (in both directions) by many a DaiMon over the years.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I really like the NX-01 Enterprise, and all the ships that seemed to "evolve" from it (i.e. Akira-Class). That twin-boom design harkens to the P-38 Lightning fighter from WW2. I'm forever sad that Enterprise didn't get 1-3 more seasons where we could have gotten the NX-01 refit with a secondary hull. Oh well.

However, and I won't state it directly for spoiler purposes, but if anyone has watched Ep 9 of Picard...well there are two ships of the same lineage that appeared/got especially featured that I love just as much.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
stressedoutatumc wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:31 am I really like the NX-01 Enterprise, and all the ships that seemed to "evolve" from it (i.e. Akira-Class). That twin-boom design harkens to the P-38 Lightning fighter from WW2. I'm forever sad that Enterprise didn't get 1-3 more seasons where we could have gotten the NX-01 refit with a secondary hull. Oh well.

However, and I won't state it directly for spoiler purposes, but if anyone has watched Ep 9 of Picard...well there are two ships of the same lineage that appeared/got especially featured that I love just as much.
I love the P-38! And the SeaDuck from TailSpin! I just love the look!
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

@Brad are you Brad Snyder?

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its ef[…]

Capturing Related

Thank you for the explanation. It's speculative, b[…]