This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
since sealed packs are $15-20 now, is there any solution for sealed packs for paper tournaments?

Thinking about [Bor] for continentals, and I always loved this card. The odds are low of using that part, but....
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
1E American National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
boromirofborg wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:19 pm since sealed packs are $15-20 now, is there any solution for sealed packs for paper tournaments?

Thinking about [Bor] for continentals, and I always loved this card. The odds are low of using that part, but....
It would be interesting if there was a means to print out a "pack" of First Contact for this purpose.

I think that we might have First Contact packs in our closet, I'll have to check. I we have them, I'll bring them with me to Continentals.

Michael

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
The Ninja Scot wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:24 pm
boromirofborg wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:19 pm since sealed packs are $15-20 now, is there any solution for sealed packs for paper tournaments?

It would be interesting if there was a means to print out a "pack" of First Contact for this purpose.

I think that we might have First Contact packs in our closet, I'll have to check. I we have them, I'll bring them with me to Continentals.

Michael
Short of bringing a set of personnel with you to the game (printed or Decipher made) and using a pack generator to give you the "pack" to pull personnel from, the only other option is to bust a pack. Even in a Lackey game, I am not sure how you would fairly add a pack to the game without using the pack generator in the offline and your opponent just trusting you to spawn in what you drew.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Had it been any other game this would probably have already been banned or received errata for that part.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
In theory, we could write a virtual pack generator for First Contact. A player could print some proxies that just say "Card 1", "Card 2", "Card 3", etc. Then, after the pack is generated, you just play as though that proxy is that number card in the pack.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Smiley wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:57 pm Had it been any other game this would probably have already been banned or received errata for that part.
Why? It works exactly as Decipher intended - to make you drop money on packs you didn't really need more of, on the off chance you might get something good.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:08 pm In theory, we could write a virtual pack generator for First Contact. A player could print some proxies that just say "Card 1", "Card 2", "Card 3", etc. Then, after the pack is generated, you just play as though that proxy is that number card in the pack.
This seems like a pretty decent plan.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
lackey can generate boosters for a player inside a game.
/ap <k>Boostername</k><p>Player name</p><z>where to</z>
Code: Select all
/ap <k>First Contact Booster</k> <p>Eberlems</p> <z>Hand</z>
or
Code: Select all
/ap <k>First Contact Booster</k> <p>Eberlems</p> <z>Crew 4 (Aside)</z> 

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:19 pm
JeBuS wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:08 pm In theory, we could write a virtual pack generator for First Contact. A player could print some proxies that just say "Card 1", "Card 2", "Card 3", etc. Then, after the pack is generated, you just play as though that proxy is that number card in the pack.
Not really. A better plan would be errata it to assimilate personnel off the top of the opponents deck.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:10 pm
Smiley wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:57 pm Had it been any other game this would probably have already been banned or received errata for that part.
Why? It works exactly as Decipher intended - to make you drop money on packs you didn't really need more of, on the off chance you might get something good.
All fine and good in the Decipher era. We're long past that point. At this point I would almost say an errata is needed but that's not my call.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
We just crack Premiere or Rules of Acquisition packs instead. A pack generator would be nice.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:38 pm
Not really.
A better plan would be errata it to assimilate personnel off the top of the opponents deck.
I like this - I've been hoping for a way to assimilate people not already on the table for a while (less crippling/NPE for the opponent).

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Iron Prime wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:25 am
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:38 pm

Not really.
A better plan would be errata it to assimilate personnel off the top of the opponents deck.
I like this - I've been hoping for a way to assimilate people not already on the table for a while (less crippling/NPE for the opponent).
Right - and given the point of it being a "catch up" mechanic is that it could be worded to either be the top X number of people OR X number of icons or just have it treat the top 9 cards of the opponents deck like it was the FC pack. Many possibilities.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]