This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
This came up in a recent 1E Warp Speed Cube tournament. (short spaceline, itchy trigger fingers) Is it possible to cloak a ship with no personnel?

For example, I beam down all my crew to a planet. Then I say "my ship is cloaked now".

Any confirmation out there?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
This is legal.

Your ship requires staffing for movement.

Your ship requires a matching personnel to attempt a mission or use WEAPONS.

Your ship requires nobody to use transporters or cloak.

This rule bounced around a little in the '90s. In 1994 (FAQ v.1), the ruling was that you needed a personnel to cloak/decloak. In 1998, it was ruled that you needed a matching personnel. The current rule has been stable since 2000, but the community never fully internalized that Decipher had changed it, then the Glossary entry rewrite of 2011 removed explicit confirmation of it, and so this is one of the most common questions I receive. I should probably ask the R.C. to put a clarification in the Rulebook to help.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
Thank you James. I really appreciate the speedy response and explanation.

(I'm a "Since Premiere" player and I think it explains why my wires are so crossed on this - I still have the Decipher line about "Trek Sense" rulings embedded in my brain)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jjh wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:52 pm Thank you James. I really appreciate the speedy response and explanation.

(I'm a "Since Premiere" player and I think it explains why my wires are so crossed on this - I still have the Decipher line about "Trek Sense" rulings embedded in my brain)
If it helps, just remember Ensign Bob can make basic ship functions go.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]