This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Cartagia wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:50 pm
Takket wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:47 pm I'll add my voice to the chorus of "what can stopped people and ships actually do?"

I was actually very surprised to learn a few years ago that stopped people can actually still DO things.

I always thought when you were stopped, that was it. You were basically just a lump of rock sitting on the table.
Clarifications: What Stopped Cards Can Do (10.2.1.0.1)

Stopped personnel may do anything they're not specifically prohibited from doing. For example, a stopped personnel may contribute skills or traits to Defiant Dedication Plaque, Navigate Plasma Storms, or Ketracel-White. They can even share skills where allowed (for example, with Fitting In or Nine of Eleven). Stopped cards are prohibited from participating in a mission attempt or dilemma encounter, but not entirely prevented from using their skills and characteristics in other ways.

Stopped cards may also be targeted by other cards, as long as the card does not require them to take a prohibited action. For example, you may relocate a "stopped" ship with Magic Carpet Ride OCD, because the ship is merely being moved by the card, but you may not play Emergency Transporter Armbands on your stopped personnel, because that card requires them to actively beam themselves, which they cannot do.

A minor rules quirk: as stated in the rules, if an entire crew or Away Team is stopped, their Equipment is also stopped. However, if individual members of a crew or Away Team are stopped by a card that specifically stops only selected personnel (for example, Lineup), their Equipment is not stopped — even if the selected personnel are the only ones in the crew or Away Team.
Not sure if it would break anything but I've always found it pretty absurd that a person who is stopped can still use their skills. Especially for skill sharing. Come on. if my dilemma stops you, you should have to face the next dilemma without those skills I took out.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but isn't that exactly what this says?
Stopped personnel may do anything they're not specifically prohibited from doing.
[...]
Stopped cards are prohibited from participating in a mission attempt or dilemma encounter, but not entirely prevented from using their skills and characteristics in other ways.

So they are specifically prohibited from contributing to dilemma solving? Or are you referring to their Skills being leeched by another ability from another source? Because my read on that is that they aren't using their skills, the skill sharing card is, so that should be your target.
Hmmm, let me see if I can paint a picture.

My Borg opponent starts scouting for Assimilate Planet. They sound down a drone with Geology to red shirt (with a cube full of people and a skill sharing drone in orbit), and that drone hits Rock People (3 Geology to get by). That's their only Geology person, and that person is stopped. So they send down three more drones, and thanks to sharing skills with the STOPPED drone, all three of those drones have geology, and they pass the dilemma.

I think that's a crock....... The first drone is stopped, they shouldn't be able to share their skills.

Likewise if that stopped Geology was [Fed] person, I shouldn't be able to Mindmeld with them to add Geology to some Vulcan to pass Rock People either.

A stopped Kes should not be able to download The Gift to dodge an incoming Borg Ship dilemma

I could go on..... just suffice it to say I don't think stopped people should be allowed to use skills or be targeted by anything that targets their skills/characteristics/staffing icon/etc
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]