This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
When Vulcan Lander (Nemesis) says "May report landed." that means that I can get it with Call for Reinforcements and then plop it down on Observe Ritual, right?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:19 am When Vulcan Lander (Nemesis) says "May report landed." that means that I can get it with Call for Reinforcements and then plop it down on Observe Ritual, right?
I don't think so. It's a [Vul] ship, but it's not a Vulcan. I am pretty sure all species references are personnel and it does not have the Vulcan trait, only the Vulcan Ship trait anyway.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
I wasn't trying to use Observe Ritual's text, specifically. I thought it would be able to report there due to its own text.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I don't believe it provides it's own report function, I think that just means it can report landed on a planet as opposed to docked at an outpost. You would still need something else providing it a way to report.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I agree with Professor Scott. I think part of the reason it can report landed is the Time Location.

If it couldn't, you could get in to a situation where you play the personnel first, then the ship, and there's no way to get them to the ship.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Professor Scott wrote:I don't believe it provides it's own report function, I think that just means it can report landed on a planet as opposed to docked at an outpost. You would still need something else providing it a way to report.
I was worried about that. Card allowing reporting now added.
boromirofborg wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:09 am I agree with Professor Scott. I think part of the reason it can report landed is the Time Location.

If it couldn't, you could get in to a situation where you play the personnel first, then the ship, and there's no way to get them to the ship.
That makes sense.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
"May report landed" is telling you that you can report the ship to any planet.

I have to disagree with the others in this thread. This is analogous to downloading Luther Sloan with Defend Homeworld. You can report him anywhere with his own skill.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
@BCSWowbagger please come to the white courtesy phone.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:07 pmThis is analogous to downloading Luther Sloan with Defend Homeworld. You can report him anywhere with his own skill.
For the record, this was also my interpretation, and I'd like to say how surprised I am that so many people disagree, but honestly, at this point, it would be more surprising if a lot of people agreed with my interpretation of a first edition card/rule.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
Takket wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:07 pm "May report landed" is telling you that you can report the ship to any planet.

I have to disagree with the others in this thread. This is analogous to downloading Luther Sloan with Defend Homeworld. You can report him anywhere with his own skill.
As one of the designers of this card, I can tell you this is not the intention. It still needs a way to report, this ability just says it can report in a landed state. We had to add this text for the reasons mentioned earlier about not being able to get people from the time location onto the ship.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:07 pm "May report landed" is telling you that you can report the ship to any planet.

I was interpreting it differently because the difference is that Luther Sloan specifies that that he can report anywhere.

I think the more apt analogy is with downloads. If you are just "downloading", then it has to be to a place that the card could normally report. If you are downloading to "here" "location" or [DL] , that's a different situation.

My guess is that the lander can report landed to anywhere it can normally report. Even if those locations are limited as of right now.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
So the key difference here is that Sloan specifies a place where he can report (where that place is "anywhere you like"), while the Lander specifies a state in which it can be reported (namely, landed on a planet instead of in orbit).

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
OKCoyote wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:04 pm

As one of the designers of this card, I can tell you this is not the intention. It still needs a way to report, this ability just says it can report in a landed state. We had to add this text for the reasons mentioned earlier about not being able to get people from the time location onto the ship.
That makes sense. Glad you clarified. Because without know this is just for the time location I would assume report landed means it can go to any planet (because the text would be meaningless if you had to report it to a facility anyway).
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I am on my phone and can't easily check, but, if memory serves, this text allows a Lander to report landed to a time location or Headquarters. (Options!)

It would (again, only from memory) not work for an outpost because ships reporting to facilities where they can dock gotta report docked. But you can't dock at an HQ anyway, so!
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
The missing and assumed text here is supposed to be "May report [in the state of being] landed" and not "May report [anywhere] landed."
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]