This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello!

Today, I have a trio of questions for you. A big part of my job as Director of First Edition is to communicate with all of you and hear your feedback. I figured I'd use today's Friday Question to do just that. Here's what I'm looking for:

The Good - What things are the CC doing (or have done recently) that you really like? This might be anything that personally excites you, that you think is good for the game, or that you think has been an excellent change.

The Bad - On the other hand, what has the CC done recently (or is doing now) that you do not like? Maybe we nerfed a favorite card, made a mechanical or rules change, or just made a move you felt was in the wrong direction.

The Ugly - Recently, we made a change to rename Official Tournament Format (OTF) to Modern. This was a change we made because we identified that OTF wasn't doing a good job letting people know what the format was and how it related to the original game. What other kinds of things do you think are "ugly" and could use updates?

I look forward to reading your replies!

-crp

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I welcome all possible ways for the community to give us feedback, but could we, instead of trying to get a play off of an old western movie title, maybe use better feedback standards such as "What was good" and "What could be done better"?

The way it's structured now is so that we will get a ton of bad feedback without any real actionable items, and as the human mind is primed to look for errors, we have a tendency to give somewhere in the range of 4-10x the amount of negative feedback than good.

:twocents:

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The Good - What things are the CC doing (or have done recently) that you really like? This might be anything that personally excites you, that you think is good for the game, or that you think has been an excellent change.
I feel like I rejoined the game that it feels like there's more activity. We are talking about a 20+ technically-dead game but the player base seems really good. Keep that going and keep the sets coming. I know my group is always very excited when one gets released and we are texting each other about decks and cards constantly.
The Bad - On the other hand, what has the CC done recently (or is doing now) that you do not like? Maybe we nerfed a favorite card, made a mechanical or rules change, or just made a move you felt was in the wrong direction.
2 biggest pet peeves.

1. It's time to ban any card that allows you to dodge dilemma. I've been vocal about this before, and I couldn't be happier that Smoke Bomb is gone, but it's time to kill The Gift, Nilz Barris or any card that lets you interrupt a dilemma combo and end the attempt. It's been stated that most if not all of those dodges were never intended, and in an environment where a 2 mission win is common, you gotta not let anything exist that can cheese one of those missions.

2. I understand the stated reason for killing The Ultimate User and The Final Frontier, but the need to come back in some form. I don't think anyone wants less deck variety. I don't know if this was the intent, but the Battle Stations: Sovereign Class card group seems like a great model for what they can be morphed into. Or something of the ilk.
The Ugly - Recently, we made a change to rename Official Tournament Format (OTF) to Modern. This was a change we made because we identified that OTF wasn't doing a good job letting people know what the format was and how it related to the original game. What other kinds of things do you think are "ugly" and could use updates?
I think that was a great move, btw. Especially since that vernacular is already in place from MTG, any new player will likely understand what it means. I don't really have any ideas on what else needs to change, but there you go. :cheersL: :cheersR:
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
The Good
1A. After a test run a couple weeks ago, I'm really looking forward to the upcoming 1E Risa Regional using the Cube Draft format. My favorite thing about it so far is the even playing field of Play 2/Draw 2.

1B. I adore the Dilemma Resolution Guide and appreciate its ongoing maintenance. Cheers to the Team that manages that document.

1C. I really appreciate the explanation from the May 1 article by Charlie explaining the switch from "OTF" to "Modern". Thoughtful and thought provoking. Made me a fan of the switch.

The Bad
It's not very recent but it's still on the top of my Bad List: I did not enjoy the mass errata to The Motion Pictures/ TMP:Remastered. It was disruptive and heavy handed to my more conservative errata taste for Decipher cards.

The Ugly
So nit-picky but sure, here's one: I do not like the visual communication of seeing 4 Premiere set icons on the stacked (front page) or horizontal list of 1E sets. I get the reason, but I find it too clever by half and ultimately confusing for all but the most dialed-in 1E collector/player.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
The Good -

The cards have been interesting, and we are still talking and playing years later.
Oddly enough, I'll politely disagree with @jjh and say that the TMP remaster/mass errata is something I wish for more of, as playing other games has conditioned me to always double check for the wording on cards anyway.

The Bad

Nothing terribly bad, but overall I'd say there's still a reluctance to move quickly when needed, and that can result in things that are needed/wanted taking a long time to happen.

The Ugly

To be clear - this is not meant to be a negative at rules, and the immense amount of work that they do. I really <3 @BCSWowbagger and all his work.

The biggest thing I would love to see as a player, and user of the website - when I have a question about a card, the first place I should be able to go instead of the glossary, the DRG, or the forum, is the card's page in the database.

In Magic (I hate to use as an example, but this is one of the few digital things WotC does well), if I search for a card I get the card along with any rulings about it, many of which are added on the release day of the card. Similarly, proactive rulings or notes from rules about any questions as cards are released would be great.

For example, Workhorses of the Fleet might not have needing clarifying errata (although that's not bad) if the db page clearly said how it was meant to work. No matter how good the wording and templating gets, there will always be more then can fit on a card.

(And to agree with @jjh - the icons on the Home Screen are messy, especially the 4 Premere. It's not at all intuitive which one to click immediately, or why they are there.)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
boromirofborg wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:39 pm The Ugly

To be clear - this is not meant to be a negative at rules, and the immense amount of work that they do. I really <3 @BCSWowbagger and all his work.

The biggest thing I would love to see as a player, and user of the website - when I have a question about a card, the first place I should be able to go instead of the glossary, the DRG, or the forum, is the card's page in the database.
It's always good to hear another nudge about this.

This is the last remaining item on the roadmap, and I think it will be out by the end of this calendar year. (It's not that hard to write, just hard to make the time to write it.)

(Something I hate about Magic's rules system is that the Gatherer page is often the only place to get an official ruling about a card. We won't be going that route; the card database pages will repeat other rules documents but will not supplement them.)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E Austrian National Runner-Up 2023
1E German National Second Runner-Up 2024
The Good
Horga'hn
I like that a banned card can be used again. Please more.

The Bad
There is a lot of focus on federation cards. I hope future expansions contain more cards that can be used by other affiliations.

The Ugly
Federation is better than any other affiliation. There should be a drawback. They can even battle with Kirk and Riker.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Rancour@gmx.de wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:14 am The Ugly
Federation is better than any other affiliation. There should be a drawback. They can even battle with Kirk and Riker.
And Lt. Stiles

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So, I went a little crazy,, but hear me out..

I will agree with the 4 versions problem with Premiere, but my biggest issue with it is in the deck builder. I have to click several cards of the same name to see which one has the current errata when Building a deck to print. The silver scans are terrible and I don't know why I would ever print them voluntarily. This problem includes the Reflections foils.

Work on eliminating the broken links list. A card with a broken download, play location, or nullifier is confusing and less useful than one with out. I understand people keep saying they see it as futureproofing, but I don't really understand what that means, the new card can always name the past card. (And I don't include lore links in this list. Those are fine.)

I like the idea of card pages pointing you to the rules page that explains them. Even is it is a link from a ship who lands to the landed ship entry.

Give Children of Light the ability to allow your [Holo] [1E-DQ] to use olarra and compatibility with the shipand your holodeck facilities as well. It makes weird things happen with the house arrest rules if you happen to be in the wrong affiliation mode. Like you guys fixed gegis.

Would like: Tomek/Jera as  [1E-AU]  "imposter"s rather than  [Holo]  "recreation"s, Decius with  [Bar]  and the rest of the  [Bar]  folks with  [Holo]  instead of  [1E-AU] . A [Bar] version of barash and Riker with no [1E-AU] or [Holo] .

I like the missions that do things when you accomplish them, the objectives that do thematic things when you solve a specific mission, and the Play engines which give you a specific goal to hit.

I like when we know the thought process behind changes, bans and watches, even if I don't agree with the reasons.

I firmly believe that there should be an Outreach Coordinator whose sole nerd job is to reach out to former playgroups and reconciling with them if possible, and after that is done reaching out to potentially forming play groups and encouraging them along with assistance, even if it is just connecting them to their local Ambassador.

I want a "you control" vs "you own" dichotomy and I don't care how much errata would be required to reach this goal.

Please put an explanation of shrouding in the glossary, I don't care if it is banned, it should still be explained.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I guess that last is my department. What needs explaining on Shrouding? I can guess, but it's always good to ask.

I agree that the "four prints problem" is particularly irritating in deck builder. I would like deck builder to (by default) only show one print of each card (a high-rez printable version if available; the original printing otherwise). Showing all versions could then be set with a checkbox. But I know this would be a bunch of work.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:58 pm I guess that last is my department. What needs explaining on Shrouding? I can guess, but it's always good to ask.
When can it be played during opponent's turn?
Does its battle require a leader?
Are the jem'hadar 'placed here' face up (public knowledge) or face down (no looksies)? I suspect face up, but they are coming from hand (a usually face down location) so I can see an argument leaning towards the [HA] situation.

why does my phone want to auto correct jem'hadar to Megadeth?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
winterflames wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:55 am
why does my phone want to auto correct jem'hadar to Megadeth?
Attachments:
hes-out-of-line-but-hes-right-meme.jpg
hes-out-of-line-but-hes-right-meme.jpg (72.95 KiB) Viewed 619 times

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

The GOOD
I think communication from the CC members and Charlie regarding 1e is really nice and top standard. It's frequent, informative and entertaining. It's covering everything from releases rules and design, enjoyable and appropriate to the game.
:thumbsup:
In general card sets are interesting and nicely designed and done.

The BAD
Not much really, but the banning of The Ultimate User was a bummer. This new play style for Borg was an interesting alternative. I hope the card comes back soon with balanced text.

The UGLY
I still think errata'ed cards should be changed and updated in the original pdf file of the affected set. This way (especially newer players) don't have to search and also print out the errata file to get the correct card.
I am aware this is a lot of extra work :o

:cheersL:

By Shepard (Matt Carroll)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The Good: I like the errata to Horgh'an (and cards coming off the ban list in general). I also like that Q's Tent and QT:CV were errata'd to put them in line with how the player base widely plays them. That shows attention to the state of the game and a desire to resolve inconsistencies through a player-centric focus (i.e. making intuitive changes to the game that codify how people actually play rather than force-feeding prescriptive rule changes that are less intuitive - all for rule changes when helpful, but I think this was the right call in this case).

The Bad: I was very disappointed with the Nemesis set, and in particular the new battle stations cards. If the intent was to try out a new, simplified standard of play with the draw 3/play 3 function, this was not the property to do it with. [1E-TNG] or even [1E-DS9] would have offered much bigger card pools to try that experiment with. Instead, a lot of effort was poured into doing that with [EE] , which we aren't likely to see any substantial new content for anytime soon after Nemesis. The effort spent creating those new engines would have been MUCH better spent flushing out new verbs for TNG movie cards that could have opened up new things for those factions to do, such as incentives for NOT completing Collect Metaphasic Particles, or for the Romulans to "take advantage of the situation" by getting bonuses for Neutral Zone missions if borg cards or dilemmas (or [Self] ) are in play (echoing the fears in First Contact). Also not really happy with the direction the Remans went with (though I like being able to use them with Formidable Warriors). Tl,dr: the set needed to focus more on doing cool things with TNG movie factions rather than setting up a new experimental paradigm for draw and play engines with limited factions.

The Ugly: Nothing comes to mind.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
The Good: Really enjoyed the first two movie sets. Glad to hear you're finally going to do some Voyager sets.

The Bad: We've Engaged the Borg. I now think you should have just made them compatible with [1E-DS9] and [1E-TNG]. (So, I'm admitting my idea to make them all [EE] wasn't good either, just to be fair). And since it's been made clear to me that we won't be seeing new ❖ [Fed] from the TNG movies any time in the foreseeable future, it's pretty much a dead character pool that in the future might get an occasional new version of a named character we already have.
The Ugly: Alpha Quadrant Voyager personnel, especially [1E-Fer] and [1E-Rom] are missed by their [1E-DS9] brethren in my decks. Can we come up with a way to give them [1E-DS9]?
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]