This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Azighal
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
So im looking at the borg counterparts and trying to figure out what is best. I have a few copys of gowron and i love that i can use him to start a fight. but looking at skills he gives me diplomacy, leadership, and honor.

If i was thinking of adding other counterparts into the deck what do you guys think is a good one to add to a deck. I know i feel like im always short on anthropology(expecially early game) and law, and honor sometimes.

What are your guys opinion?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Really depends on your needs but be sure to check out A Willing Companion.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Best Straight skills: Dukat (Locutus is a VERY CLOSE Second)
Best Special Skill: Gowron or Data depending on if you want a boom boom deck or a 2 mission solver
Sneaky Good: Brunt
Niche but fun: Tomalak
Most Useless: Weyoun

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Azighal wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:44 pm what is your opinion of Bareil of Borg for his skill spread
For straight skills I'd put him behind both Dukat and Locutus.

However, if Deep Space 9 is popular in your meta, having a guy who can Assimilate Bajor is huge. I guess I'd put Bareil behind Tomalak... he's even more niche, but in the right deck with the right matchup, he's BIG fun.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Tomalak's ability has the advantage of being permanent - you can play him, get permanent cloaking, and then toss him into the dilemma meat grinder and replace him with the guy you really like.

Gowron is a counterpart that is minimum in my Tent - the ability to Surprise Battle without losing your objective is far too useful in certain metas.

Beyond that, I usually aim for "the one that lets me eat your homeworld". :)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:15 am Best Straight skills: Dukat (Locutus is a VERY CLOSE Second)
Best Special Skill: Gowron or Data depending on if you want a boom boom deck or a 2 mission solver
Sneaky Good: Brunt
Niche but fun: Tomalak
Most Useless: Weyoun
:thumbsup: This. Tomalak was especially fun in scout swarm decks.

And Bareil is the most boring one. (Modulo Armus's very valid point that whichever counterpart matches your dominant meta is never a bad choice.)

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
An important consideration is the [1E-AU] factor.

The [1E-AU] counterparts can act as a temporal agent by putting the personnel named in their lore onto temporal benefactor at the start of the game. That allows you to move that personnel to time location and use Temporal Almanac to draw cards (which is harder for the Borg to to do than other affiliations, as they can't use things like Study Divergent history or process ore).

On the other hand, if you just want to save the seed slot of including an alternate universe door , you can just go with Locutus or Data.

If you do want a [1E-AU] counterpart to use as a temporal agent for draws, Tomalak of Borg is a good choice since he doesn't need to be present for his special ability to affect your ships. Then, play he will make an excellent drone on him and play a different counterpart to go accomplish an assimilate homeworld objective.

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]

New Tribbles are coming! Look busy! https://www.t[…]

You will need one more thing for this - compatibil[…]