This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Participant 2024
Space Amoeba and Romulan Ambush

feel like I'm missing something here but can I Romulan Ambush ANY ship present with a Space Amoeba? Doesn't matter what the stats are on my d'deridex ship, the other ship has SHIELDS < 6 which is all RA is asking for, right?

Borg Cube? AMBUSHED!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:54 pm I already see the next errata as printed attributes.
How about we make somebody break it first before we start swinging the errata hammer.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:49 pm Space Amoeba and Romulan Ambush

feel like I'm missing something here but can I Romulan Ambush ANY ship present with a Space Amoeba? Doesn't matter what the stats are on my d'deridex ship, the other ship has SHIELDS < 6 which is all RA is asking for, right?

Borg Cube? AMBUSHED!
Since we Set->Add->Multiply, that's any ship that doesn't have modifiers, right? So a ship with Plasmadyne Relay or Captain's Log or whatever will be fine?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Haven't people been doing this for a few years now? Pretty sure I've come across a few Amoeba/Nelvana Trap/Romulan Ambush decks with Target Shields in case you are using any attribute enhancers. Standard defense is to anticipate what's going to happen if your opponent puts a D'deridex on Engage Cloak (or just lurking around your mission) and plan your attempts accordingly, or anti-Interrupt tech.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Pioneer
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2024
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
I feel I would be remiss as DoOP if I did not point out that Space Amoeba has been on the watch list since April of 2021. So, if folks believe this is super secret tech that they want to use at Worlds, I would not expect it to still work by the time September comes around. :twocents:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LORE wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:33 am I feel I would be remiss as DoOP if I did not point out that Space Amoeba has been on the watch list since April of 2021. So, if folks believe this is super secret tech that they want to use at Worlds, I would not expect it to still work by the time September comes around. :twocents:
This may be a hot take, but Space Amoeba is fine.

If anything it encourages larger dilemma stacks, which is good for the game.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
LORE wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:33 am I feel I would be remiss as DoOP if I did not point out that Space Amoeba has been on the watch list since April of 2021. So, if folks believe this is super secret tech that they want to use at Worlds, I would not expect it to still work by the time September comes around. :twocents:
Yeah ... until now Space Amoeba has not broken the game.

Why would/should this change until Worlds?

People had plenty of opportunity to break the game ...

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I agree with these takes, this tech has been around for several years and hasn't broken the game, so there is as yet no evidence justifying errata. But perhaps LORE was just giving us the good reminder that building any deck based on watchlisted cards carries some risk (that's the whole point of the list).

-  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Rachmaninoff wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:28 pm I agree with these takes, this tech has been around for several years and hasn't broken the game, so there is as yet no evidence justifying errata. But perhaps LORE was just giving us the good reminder that building any deck based on watchlisted cards carries some risk (that's the whole point of the list).
:thumbsup:

And honestly, I hope folks *do* try to push it over the line. That's the only way to know if it's a legit issue or just something that looks good on paper but doesn't pay out in practice.

(There really should be an achievement for "won a tournament with a card that gets banned", tbh.)

Serious question: how many [1E-Fer] basic blo[…]

HP010 and RiF

Aside from "Because Decipher," this a[…]

I will dm you @doctorjoya . Looking forward to th[…]

1EFQ: Into Recovery

https://i.redd.it/mm25lh0wfqg71.png With […]