This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote:If you let us know [···] what games you like to play (1st edition, 2nd edition, or Tribbles) [···] can get you plugged in to the STCCG scene in your local area.
Okay, last chapter. My game preferences:

I'm exclusively a Traditional player. I always kept my small collection of Decipher cards close, and I like to do something with it.
Printing cards, to me, would seem like... betraying my Decipher cards. :D They're a jealous bunch. (Which is not to say that I am not in awe of the work which has been done by the CC. I really appreciate the new cards, additions and mechanics, even if I don't play with them. I always look forward to new expansions.)

Also, I'm almost exclusively First Edition-only for now. (I.e., no 2e-1e Compatible cards, preferably*.)

So, I'm not sure whether any New Bajor area players would be... that much backwards compatible with me? Who would want to time-travel back to 1995!? :D

But I still like 1995. Proudly flying a Husnock boat with Chris Hobson... so to speak. :P Which would make me, primarily, a casual player -- but I would like to get a taste of a tournament, one day.
And just meeting, talking about the game, and/or trading could be fun as well? :cheersL:

Edits, 18.10.29~31:
I really like the crew/team building, affiliation, and story-telling aspects of the game.
Moreover, creating decks, and the game itself, still takes me a lot of time, and I feel the need to be able to do some things at my own speed. (Which, at times, is "thrusters only". :wink:) Hence, for now, I prefer pre-constructed, and untimed, gameplay.
pfti wrote:There is also a robust online player presence so lots of chances to play!
I'm not sure if I'll make the jump to 'digital' play. I'm curious about it and I certainly like to try it one day (if I can get the software to work on my old workstation) but for the moment, I'm focus(s?)ing strictly on (re-)learning to decently play with 'physical' cards... :wink:

*:I do have a single 2e Dorian Collins, and a Saavik, which I like to use in decks... but only because I don't have them as 1e cards. (I do have something to say about Dorian's conversion, though... :P If nobody noticed... :D )

So... that's me. Sorry that it took so long, and that it is so long. I did already delete 30% of this post, before hitting send! :o I have trouble keeping texts short, especially when I'm enthusiastic about something -- like this game! :D
Last edited by SudenKapala on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Suden Kapala wrote:
Also, I'm almost exclusively First Edition-only for now. (I.e., no 2e-1e Compatible cards, preferably*.)
This won't be an issue forever as 1E compatible cards will be phased out of 1E play at some point in time.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Slayer07 wrote:
Suden Kapala wrote:
This won't be an issue forever as 1E compatible cards will be phased out of 1E play at some point in time.
I thought I read that the New Year ball drop would land squarely on the 2EBC cards and they wouldn't be around in 2019...

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Armus wrote:
Slayer07 wrote:
Suden Kapala wrote:
I thought I read that the New Year ball drop would land squarely on the 2EBC cards and they wouldn't be around in 2019...
I thought there was a nexus ribbon involved also
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
DarkSabre wrote:
Armus wrote: I thought I read that the New Year ball drop would land squarely on the 2EBC cards and they wouldn't be around in 2019...
I thought there was a nexus ribbon involved also
I thought we were doing the livestream with the wood chipper...

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Suden Kapala wrote:Let's nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. 8)
You meant Orbital Bombardment from orbit.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
DarkSabre wrote:
Suden Kapala wrote:Let's nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. 8)
Well, no, as a 1990s player (with less options available -- I don't have that card), I did really mean nuke the site from orbit... but I'd really enjoy watching the parallel deployment of your solution. 8)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Just a few personal updates I wish to share. :) FYI, or TMI -- you decide!

(1)
SudenKapala wrote:
DarkSabre wrote:
Well, no, as a 1990s player (with less options available -- I don't have that card), I did really mean nuke the site from orbit... but I'd really enjoy watching the parallel deployment of your solution. 8)
I do have that card now! :) I decided to add it to my purchase in honour of this -- very early -- conversation I had here. Thanks for the inspiration, Saber.

(2)

Last weekend I failed a bit more than I succeeded in the field of staying away from forum and doing "important" things (IRL is so overrated... but I do consider playing Trek IRL should be more important than posting here...). I've found that changing my avatar to show that "no one's there" helps me a bit in that regard -- it's a mirror that shows me I should be doing other things. :D
(Also, I am fond of various avatars.) So that's why. In case you were wondering.

(3)

However, yesterday, I did manage to play my 99th game*, since returning to 1e in 2014. :D I think that's a big milestone.
(I might be playing my 100th game later today, but that's not such a nice round number, esthetically. 8) )
Since casual play is not yet ( :cross: ) rewarded nor has any official standing but is important to me, I decided to report on it, here.

I should thank my play group member Petra, for the honour of finally winning from her with my [Car] "deck 7" (she played my [Kli] "deck 3") during the course of that 99th game.

Since I started teaching her the game in 2014, she seems to have surpassed me in skill. While her enthusiasm for the game lags (far) behind mine ( :P ), she is largely repsonsible for my return and my continuing efforts to re-learn the game and to gather new players (no doubt so that she herself can retire). Also, she won more of me than she lost. (That might also have to do -- a bit -- with my way of teaching.)

(*: For clarity, I must admit that a (small) number of those 99 games were "Impulse Speed" games -- a custom adptation of Warp Speed that I devised for teaching purposes. But you'll forgive me for that, I trust.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:Hi!

I'm also new to this forum. Is there any better place to introduce myself, rather than hijacking somebody else's introduction topic? (Sorry, Robert! :wink: )

Or does this community skip the pleasantries and jump immediately to the practical matters-at-hand?

I've been off-grid for a decade, forum-wise. But way-back-when, there usually were dedicated "introduce yourself" threads. So it seemed polite to ask whether I should tell a little about myself.
I also didn't want to muck things up here, hence I re-used this old introductory thread to pose my questions about the subject. 8)
3 years 745 posts is not really new lol

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Discovery suxs wrote:

I'm also new
to this forum. Is there any better place to introduce myself, rather than hijacking somebody else's introduction topic? (Sorry, Robert! :wink: )

Or does this community skip the pleasantries and jump immediately to the practical matters-at-hand?

I've been off-grid for a decade, forum-wise. But way-back-when, there usually were dedicated "introduce yourself" threads. So it seemed polite to ask whether I should tell a little about myself.
I also
didn't want to muck things up here, hence I re-used this old introductory thread to pose my questions about the subject. 8)
Huh? :? I started posting less than a year ago -- more than 2 years after I joined the site. The post you quoted was my 2nd post. So, yes, I was brand new on the forum then. (Still feels like it, understanding-the-game-wise!) :wink:

And: as planned, I did get to play my 100th game, with my "home" boy "home"-Bolian, ias. 8) Thanks, mate! :cheersL:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:

I'm also new
to this forum. Is there any better place to introduce myself, rather than hijacking somebody else's introduction topic? (Sorry, Robert! :wink: )

I also
didn't want to muck things up here, hence I re-used this old introductory thread to pose my questions about the subject. 8)
Huh? :? I started posting less than a year ago -- more than 2 years after I joined the site. The post you quoted was my 2nd post. So, yes, I was brand new on the forum then. (Still feels like it, understanding-the-game-wise!) :wink:

And: as planned, I did get to play my 100th game, with my "home" boy "home"-Bolian, ias. 8) Thanks, mate! :cheersL:
It's your fault I messed up not mine. There is a golden rule for all forums. Don't bump old topics. You bumped a topic that was over a year old. You should of made a new topic so everything was fresh and clear in the topic.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Discovery suxs wrote:It's your fault I messed up not mine.
OK... :shifty: If you really think so, and feel offended, then I sincerely appologize for the inconvenience of you having experienced a mess-up because of me.
Discovery suxs wrote:There is a golden rule for all forums. Don't bump old topics. You bumped a topic that was over a year old. You should of made a new topic so everything was fresh and clear in the topic.
Until other people start introducing themselves in this thread, I kind of see it as my personal "notes-to-share stash". Which I use only sporadically. I didn't find my 99th game worth a whole new topic.

And I didn't know about that golden rule. As I've said on the previous page in this very topic: I've been away from forums for over a decade (and back in those days, IIRC on those forums, there was a golden rule -- don't create needless topics if old ones suffice).
Also -- It's not a rule in the COC, so it's a brass rule at most. :P (But if more people corroborate(?) it, I might consider abiding by it more.)

And, well, it could be considered your fault "criticizing" a post in a years-old thread without researching it, haha. :p If you'd read back a bit more, or looked at the dates posted, you might have understood. :p

But oh, well. I understand your confusion. But you'll live. So will I. We'll still discuss rules, boast about how well we understand 1e, and talk trash about how easy 2e is.

Or we'll hate each other, and start bitching. First time for everything, for me.

Hopefully there'll be someone along shortly to flog that dead horse, then. :P
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]