This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 1174 posts
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Takket wrote:I've been messing around with Lackey and come up with these questions. It is actually pretty easy to use now that I've used it a bit...

Can I assign a deck to the test dummy so I can practice playing a game against myself?
On the play mat, there are additional tabs for side decks. So I’m guessing when the game starts I can, for example, move my QT:CW Referee cards from “aside” into the “ref pile”. Is this what people do? It is rather time consuming to selected all thirteen ref cards and then drag them over. Or do people actually stack all the cards on the table under their Q’s Tent Civil War like in “real life”?

I don't think that test dummy can get a deck AFAIK. I put all of my Side Deck/Opening Game downloads (like AMS) into the aside and then move them to the piles that they deserve to go to. One thing that makes it easier is - Hold Shift down while you're clicking on them which lets you select multiples and then move them to the correct tab. Personally, I put my Ref cards in the Ref pile, Tent cards in the Tent and opening game downloads in the aside. It can be time-consuming (Yes, I did this with every side deck in an online tournament once... even Tribbles) but selecting multiples and moving them to the correct tab helps.

When I drag a ref card to my ref pile it says “Takket moves Q the referee from his q’s tent to his ref pile”. Is that a public message? Because now my opponent knows what cards I have.
If I’m playing borg, what stops me from using the “reveal to owner” option and looking at my deck to see what the next card is? (For probing). In general what stops me from revealing my deck anytime I want to myself?

That particular one isn't a public message. What the opponent would see is, "Opponent moved a card in blank position to a different position." For your Borg example, the game will show your opponent - "Your opponent reveals his draw deck to himself." So, your opponent can see that you're looking at all the cards in your draw deck.

Tokens look like a great way to do countdown icons. Right?

Absolutely.

To seed dilemma it looks like I have to flip them face down then stack them on the table (in the order to be encountered), then stack them under the mission. Do I have that right? I did notice if I move a card face down onto the table it just says I played a card face down, as opposed to face up announcing the name of the card. It would be nice if when you right click on a card and select “play” if it would give you the option to put it face up or face down.

Yes, you have that right.

I had a question about revealing dilemmas because putting the FIRST card to be encountered at the BOTTOM of the stack is difficult. I noticed in the tips section of this thread it is recommended to do it backwards so the FIRST card to be encountered is on TOP of the stack. Is this the accepted way of doing things?

Personally, I find it easier to seed it backwards in Lackey because it's frankly easier for someone to flip the card and for someone to be able to see the card, both for yourself and for your opponent.

How does mission seeding work with Mission IIs? (dual sided). I’m supposed to shuffle missions and pick them face down. If I can see the mission II I’m basically cheating because I know which mission I’m grabbing. There is a move random command, but that only moves to tabs. I don’t see a move random to table option. Furthermore what stops someone from just flipping their 6 missions over face up and picking whatever one they want to seed?

What I usually do is to take one of my doorways (since they've already seen those) and swap it for my Mission 2, then shuffle up my missions.

Do people stack personnel/equipment under ships and facilities or do they stack them on the “crew” tabs in lackey and just move ships on the spaceline? The tips guide says to put crews/away teams in unused “piles” and then add a note to the ship/facility/planet of who is there. I.E. a note on a Federation outpost that its “crew is in crew pile #3”.

Personally, I stack my people into my Crew 1, Crew 2, etc. Sometimes I'll type notes so that both players knows which crew is with which but I find that if I'm verbally telling people which crew is doing what (i.e. Crew 1 is on the ship, Crew 2 is on the planet attempting, etc.) that seems to work just fine.

Can I put opponent’s cards into my tabs by using the “take control” command? Thinking of overcoming a dilemma with bonus points and placing it in my bonus point area (pointers tab). More generally, does Lackey let me move around cards I do not own? Example: a ship with my opponent’s damage marker on it.
Honestly, I just put the point dilemmas on the table just off to the side. The only things I usually put into the pointers is Process Ore: Mining cards as they're 1 point each whereas Dabo or point dilemmas are typically more. For negative points, I'll usually mark them with counters if I can't remember.

I've never actually used the take control command so I don't know. If I ever play Khan in 1E or Sybok/Release the Pain in 1E, I'll have to give it a try. One thing that I know works (at least in terms of controlling opponents cards) is simply dragging them to your crew tab that has taken control of them. They're now treated as your personnel by Lackey.

Michael
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Takket wrote:I've been messing around with Lackey and come up with these questions. It is actually pretty easy to use now that I've used it a bit...

Can I assign a deck to the test dummy so I can practice playing a game against myself?
Not that I know of.
Takket wrote:On the play mat, there are additional tabs for side decks. So I’m guessing when the game starts I can, for example, move my QT:CW Referee cards from “aside” into the “ref pile”. Is this what people do? It is rather time consuming to selected all thirteen ref cards and then drag them over. Or do people actually stack all the cards on the table under their Q’s Tent Civil War like in “real life”?
You can put the ref cards either in your tent tab or aside tab during construction and then move them to the ref tab at the start of the game. Remember the ref pile is supposed to be visible to both players so your opponent knowing what cards you've moved in there is fine. Definitely use the tab not a stack on the 'table'.
Takket wrote:When I drag a ref card to my ref pile it says “Takket moves Q the referee from his q’s tent to his ref pile”. Is that a public message? Because now my opponent knows what cards I have.
If I’m playing borg, what stops me from using the “reveal to owner” option and looking at my deck to see what the next card is? (For probing). In general what stops me from revealing my deck anytime I want to myself?
OK so anything in the chat is visible (and the same) to both players. Now a few of your questions are about a similar thing, the chat log and the knowledge each player has. Each of the tabs can be in one of 4 states,

Visible to you (blue dots just below the name of the tab)
Visible to your opponent (red dots just below the name of the tab)
Visible to both players (blue and red dots)
Visible to neither player (no dots)

If a card is moved between two tabs that are not visible to both players (so partially or fully hidden tabs) it will not have the name of the card in the chat log, It will also not give the name of a card if it is played from a partially or fully hidden tab face-down on to the table, this is how dilemmas are done and remain hidden
The chat log will also send a message when any zone is revealed or hidden from a player (you can also set a notification warning to be played when this happens under 'Sound' in 'Preferences'). This is why you can't just reveal your missions or your deck to yourself and cheat, the opponent will see and have a record that you've done it.
Takket wrote:Tokens look like a great way to do countdown icons. Right?
Yes.
Takket wrote:To seed dilemma it looks like I have to flip them face down then stack them on the table (in the order to be encountered), then stack them under the mission. Do I have that right? I did notice if I move a card face down onto the table it just says I played a card face down, as opposed to face up announcing the name of the card. It would be nice if when you right click on a card and select “play” if it would give you the option to put it face up or face down.

I had a question about revealing dilemmas because putting the FIRST card to be encountered at the BOTTOM of the stack is difficult. I noticed in the tips section of this thread it is recommended to do it backwards so the FIRST card to be encountered is on TOP of the stack. Is this the accepted way of doing things?
Yeah everything you've said here is correct.
Takket wrote:How does mission seeding work with Mission IIs? (dual sided). I’m supposed to shuffle missions and pick them face down. If I can see the mission II I’m basically cheating because I know which mission I’m grabbing. There is a move random command, but that only moves to tabs. I don’t see a move random to table option. Furthermore what stops someone from just flipping their 6 missions over face up and picking whatever one they want to seed?
I do it the same way as I do in real life, by replacing the mission II with a doorway.
Takket wrote:Do people stack personnel/equipment under ships and facilities or do they stack them on the “crew” tabs in lackey and just move ships on the spaceline? The tips guide says to put crews/away teams in unused “piles” and then add a note to the ship/facility/planet of who is there. I.E. a note on a Federation outpost that its “crew is in crew pile #3”.
Yeah use the crew tabs and other unused tabs (Q's Flash) for crews. You can often just say something like "Crew 1 will get on the Enterprise, move to X and attempt.". If you have a lot of ships you can definitely use notes, tokens are also useful for this, put a 1 on a ship for crew 1, a 2 for crew 2 and so on.
Takket wrote:Can I put opponent’s cards into my tabs by using the “take control” command? Thinking of overcoming a dilemma with bonus points and placing it in my bonus point area (pointers tab). More generally, does Lackey let me move around cards I do not own? Example: a ship with my opponent’s damage marker on it.
You can move any cards and put them in any tab, regardless of the owner of the cards or tabs. I've never used the take control option but I assume what it would change is who can see what the card is while it's face down.

By Nava
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

On the play mat, there are additional tabs for side decks. So I’m guessing when the game starts I can, for example, move my QT:CW Referee cards from “aside” into the “ref pile”. Is this what people do? It is rather time consuming to selected all thirteen ref cards and then drag them over. Or do people actually stack all the cards on the table under their Q’s Tent Civil War like in “real life”?
Actually you can do that. Switch to the Game tab and click on the images denoting the playeras - whenever you select your icon (default) decks are loaded to that player. When you click on test dummy you'll notice that the table view turns 180° - now you can load a deck to Test Dummy. Just go over to the Deck Editor load the game you want to assign and use "Load entire deck to you" - do that for both players and you are set to go.

You can now alternate between both players by selecting the appropriate icons.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Latok wrote:
Takket wrote:How does mission seeding work with Mission IIs? (dual sided). I’m supposed to shuffle missions and pick them face down. If I can see the mission II I’m basically cheating because I know which mission I’m grabbing. There is a move random command, but that only moves to tabs. I don’t see a move random to table option. Furthermore what stops someone from just flipping their 6 missions over face up and picking whatever one they want to seed?
I do it the same way as I do in real life, by replacing the mission II with a doorway.
This is actually covered in the Glossary!
Each of these double-sided Mission cards has
a built-in wormhole or outpost. (See card
type.) They seed normally, and you may
choose which side to have face-up initially.
However, when you are using one or more
double-sided missions, you must notify your
opponent, and after you shuffle your mission
stack they are allowed to see whether a
double-sided card is on top and choose
whether or not to cut the stack. See Borg –
Cooperation.
Although conventions vary, the rules state that your missions are supposed to be in a shuffled pile. So, in Lackey, you should shuffle your missions, then always draw the "top" (that is, the leftmost) card in that 6-card deck.

If you're using Mission II's, inform your opponent. Since cuts are impossible, and Lackey shuffle is reliable the first time, I don't think you need to follow the rest of this instruction.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Anyone else having issues connecting to the Lackey server at the minute?
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Antisoul wrote:updating from the link in the OP and my anti-virus caught a trojan in the file 1e-lackskillz.exe
You don't need it to play and it always catches that.

By scox (Johan Skoglund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
pfti wrote:
Antisoul wrote:updating from the link in the OP and my anti-virus caught a trojan in the file 1e-lackskillz.exe
You don't need it to play and it always catches that.
Also, it is no trojan in the program, it is catching a library which I guess is also used in common trojans or malware. The program is a small Application made by Timo that checks the skill matrix of a loaded deck and compares to recommended skill matrix for dilemmas + missions included in the deck. The skill matrix part is nowadays easy to check in the deck builder on TrekCC, especially with the import/export function available on the site.

@All: Is anyone actually using the lackskillz program anymore, or would it be ok to remove it from the plugin download?

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
It's a packed vb program that relied on windows active-x component standard dialogs. It's very nature is considered a virus now. There's nothing wrong with it if you can get it to run.

I still use it on my pc and find it super useful but getting it to work on modern windows is a hassle. It doesn't work out of the box anymore so probably time to remove.

I made that a long time ago, before the CC.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Se7enofMine wrote:Unless I am doing something wrong, which is entirely possible, cards from The Gift aren't uploaded into the plugin for Lackey?

:)
Dont know how long its been there, but it seems the gift has been added to the plugin.

So to whomever did it, kudos :) and thank you.

By scox (Johan Skoglund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
eberlems wrote:For the time being my plugin is back for Equilibrium
Code: Select all
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/eberlems/startrek1e/playable/updatelist.txt
ALL player need the plugin, otherwise different cards will be shown.
Above link is now referenced in the first message of the thread as well, as the normal project location is not up to date. Thank you eberlems!!
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation