This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 1174 posts

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I agree with the release management. Changing decklist structure and release without a warning (and no option to roll back) can really break the platform for some people (worst case, they might never return because their decks are crushed)

That said and on another request. Why does this website not allow uploading and downloading lackey compatible decklists? Both the deckbuilder on this website (basically not useable at all in basic) as the lackey one are pretty meh, so as long as you at least have one of them it would spare tons of time. Imo its a pretty basic feature for a community page.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
My goal was to be able to create a deck here, export as .txt and have all the cards available in lackey.

Several card names, attributes, block, staffings, gametexts and characteristics didn't match.
All Tactics missing Attack/Defense Bonuses.
Almost no VPs were available.

That's why I decided for a new database export and use that.
"Sets" matching the database would be more easy to maintain and better for user search (Set contains "...").

Yes, I didn't check the .dek files and should have.
I don't use them, just because any errata (change of imagename) loads the deck without.
I honestly didn't expect the .dek to save the "set" part.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
yeah, up and dl decklists here is a must (imho)

but to allow for that you also need to allow for more sidedecks in the deckbuilder, otherwise decklists will be cluttered with huge "aside" piles
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
We have the “Export to Lackey” feature baked into the Premium deckbuilder.

I’ll be frank here as the Chair; we need money to keep the lights on here. I get every email when someone buys something in the Promenade and I do not see people making donations, so the way we make some of our money is by Premium Memberships. I find the Premium deckbuilder alone to be worth $30 for the year. You also get raffle tickets and access to a lot of other features on the site.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
kinda torn here, because yeah money is neccessary. on the other hand, paywalling stuff also sucks.

its also not obvious what kind of content you get for premium, so a 1-3 day trial would be cool (unlocked after X days of membership and X posts or sth)

and actually the basic deckbuilder is so horrible(basically non-existent), id never expect premium to be useful at all.

its also always a good thing to be transparent with the costs and income, so having a monthly goal of XX/XX$ in the upper corner would definitely encourage donations. (proven concept)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Ensign Q wrote:kinda torn here, because yeah money is neccessary. on the other hand, paywalling stuff also sucks.
Yeah, but when something on the internet is free, generally you are the product. We don’t sell your personal information or have ads on the site (can’t do anything about Tapatalk, though), so the money has to come from somewhere.
Ensign Q wrote: its also not obvious what kind of content you get for premium, so a 1-3 day trial would be cool (unlocked after X days of membership and X posts or sth)
There’s a list of features on the Promenade. We usually do a free month of Premium membership every December for anyone on the site to try it out, but I know it doesn’t help you.

I do like the idea of a 3-day free trial. I’ll suggest it to the web team.
Ensign Q wrote: and actually the basic deckbuilder is so horrible(basically non-existent), id never expect premium to be useful at all.
I can see that. The basic deckbuilder IS pretty bad.
Ensign Q wrote:its also always a good thing to be transparent with the costs and income, so having a monthly goal of XX/XX$ in the upper corner would definitely encourage donations. (proven concept)
Our CFO usually writes a quarterly article on the state of our finances. I believe we’re due for one soon.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
its less about the transparency (although it adds), but just to have such goals. ive written into monetarizing content and this is the nr1 thing to increase donations. so you guys really might want to try it. it reminds everyone this site comes with a cost as well there is the option for donations.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I'm being prompted to download v4.1 (upgrading from v4.0).

What (if anything) will break if I do so? I've been working very, very hard on a deck and simply can't afford to lose it at this time, as it exists solely in .dek format.

(I also need to be able to playtest it in Lackey with others, so the solution might be to ask my opponents to revert to the old version of the plugin hosted on Google Code, if I can't go forward from v4.0 and they're already on v4.1 and can't roll back.)
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
BCSWowbagger wrote:I'm being prompted to download v4.1 (upgrading from v4.0).

What (if anything) will break if I do so? I've been working very, very hard on a deck and simply can't afford to lose it at this time, as it exists solely in .dek format.

(I also need to be able to playtest it in Lackey with others, so the solution might be to ask my opponents to revert to the old version of the plugin hosted on Google Code, if I can't go forward from v4.0 and they're already on v4.1 and can't roll back.)
If you 'Export as txt' you'll lose at most a few cards that have been renamed eg. Crimson Forcefield had the quotation marks added. If you create the deck with the trekcc deckbuilder you can load it after the update perfectly fine as well.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Latok wrote:If you 'Export as txt' you'll lose at most a few cards that have been renamed eg. Crimson Forcefield had the quotation marks added. If you create the deck with the trekcc deckbuilder you can load it after the update perfectly fine as well.
This worked nicely. Thank you!

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
it broke a bunch of cards for me again. for example some of the revised voyager crew were missing like janeway, but not all of them. also when i reopened the deck dilemma like hippocratic oath were suddenly missing.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:We usually do a free month of Premium membership every December for anyone on the site to try it out
I was wondering about that -- in 2018, that didn't happen for my account (not a problem, though) whereas it did happen at least on 2016 and perhaps '17. I thought maybe it was a one-time thing for new members? But it's not?
jadziadax8 wrote:We don’t sell your personal information or have ads on the site
For which, much obliged! :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Emphasis added by me.
jadziadax8 wrote:
Ensign Q wrote: and actually the basic deckbuilder is so horrible(basically non-existent)
The basic deckbuilder IS pretty bad.
Wait -- what!? C'mon! :P It's rather basic, yes, and the interface is REALLY quirky, BUT once you've entered a few decks, and you're used to the quirks, it works totally fine! :o For me, it does.
The results (list, PDFs) are not quirky at all. The analysis is solid, too, once you get a feeling for which card elements from inside which categories count towards the totals (Outside Of Game will not add the skills, but will add staffinf icons? Or some such) -- and that is the only thing that, for me, could/should be spent time on. If there's not even a logic behind that.

Perhaps somebody should write a manual or an article on the deck builder, detailing how to work around the card insertion quirks. (Or is there one already?) But I found it out myself during the building of a few decks in 2016. I've got many tens of them now (lots of variations for each deck); and updating, modifying, and building is quite a joy... once I realized that, while cumbersome, I can actually do everything with it that I'd expect. I've yet to find an online Magic deckbuilder that lets me choose exactly which image of a particular card I have in my deck.

Yes, I know, my standards are pretty low. (But, TBH, no; my wishes for a deck builder and PDF printer are all but simple.) And yes, my online persona tends to look on the bright side, but hey... it's a free piece of software written by (I think) volunteers!

So, for all its quirkiness, here's a shout-out to those behind it.

That said -- yeah, it could be much better... and I support that, too... but it does what it needs to do. Or what I need it to do.
Ensign Q wrote: id never expect premium to be useful at all.
My experience of (part of) the premium features is a way to sort your decks into a folder-like structure, which declutters you management page and can be handy to separate your WIPs from finished decks (and, e.g. casual from tourney decks). I think the premium also allows for searching for a card, instead of scrolling through the full card type list. But there's a list of the premium features somewhere, of course. Let's see if I can find it.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Suden Kapala wrote:
Ensign Q wrote: id never expect premium to be useful at all.
there's a list of the premium features somewhere, of course. Let's see if I can find it.
Found it. But it's not as extensive as I thought I remembered.
The Promenade wrote:Your Premium Subscription will give you access to:
  • Enhanced Deckbuilder
An enhanced deckbuilder that allows various filtering of the cardlists to make it easier and faster to slap together a deck.
That's aside from the feature I mentioned above.

Perhaps someone can elaborate, if needed?

By scox (Johan Skoglund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
eberlems wrote:My goal was to be able to create a deck here, export as .txt and have all the cards available in lackey.

Several card names, attributes, block, staffings, gametexts and characteristics didn't match.
All Tactics missing Attack/Defense Bonuses.
Almost no VPs were available.

That's why I decided for a new database export and use that.
"Sets" matching the database would be more easy to maintain and better for user search (Set contains "...").

Yes, I didn't check the .dek files and should have.
I don't use them, just because any errata (change of imagename) loads the deck without.
I honestly didn't expect the .dek to save the "set" part.
Fair points, and no question the plugin is/was in need of update. We have made major changes before as well, also with the impact that old decks were affected, but the point was the issue of release management and compatibility issues, simply how is this was managed; announcement, instructions, doing it as appropriate time in between tournaments, etc.

As mentioned before, your work is highly, highly appreciated!

Maybe we should simply meet up sometime to discuss over a beer or a coffee, as we supposedly live not too far from each other (we're both in Bavaria...). :) :cheersL:
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]