This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 1174 posts

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Ensign Q wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:54 pm when will plw hit lackey?
+1!

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
eberlems wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:15 am now?
plw, 2 VPs, and Lore added.
Thanks sir. Just had to self install on faith as there was no "your plugin is out of date" message. You rock sir. Thanks for all you do!

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trying to get Lackey to work (or get me to work with Lackey :shifty: ), part umpteen.

I am on a Linux (LXLE) machine. There's a lot I don't know yet about Linux. I have installed something called "wine-stable" -- which seemed more, ah... stable, than the thing called "wine-development". And those were the only ones I could choose from, when I asked "apt-get" to please install wine.

So, was that what I needed? If I double-click the Lackey executable, it DNGN. What's next?

(I must say, playing around a bit in Lackey, from another machine on Windows, it really seems awesome. That it's even possible to play 1e digitally, is sort-of dumbfounding. :thumbsup: But I guess I've already drooled about that elsewhere.)
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:42 pm I am on a Linux (LXLE) machine. There's a lot I don't know yet about Linux. I have installed something called "wine-stable" -- which seemed more, ah... stable, than the thing called "wine-development". And those were the only ones I could choose from, when I asked "apt-get" to please install wine.

So, was that what I needed? If I double-click the Lackey executable, it DNGN. What's next?

(I must say, playing around a bit in Lackey, from another machine on Windows, it really seems awesome. That it's even possible to play 1e digitally, is sort-of dumbfounding. :thumbsup: But I guess I've already drooled about that elsewhere.)
If memory serves, Wine is the "get Windows apps to run on Linux" program. Is there a reason you're not using the Linux version directly?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Whut...? :neutral: The Lackey website, under the Linux link, says I should install WINE and just run-- no, install (but: unpack!? It's a ZIP!) the Win version. The notes are from years ago, though.

Hmm. I only tried to run the Lackey that I'd unpacked under Windows. Does unpacking do something more when done in Linux?

Or am I missing something? A real Linux version after all? Link me up!
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Oh, my apologies - I only got as far as the link to "Lackey for Linux" on the front page, and didn't realize that a developer would put a link to a version they don't actually have. :x

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:34 pm Whut...? :neutral: The Lackey website, under the Linux link, says I should install WINE and just run-- no, install (but: unpack!? It's a ZIP!) the Win version. The notes are from years ago, though.

Hmm. I only tried to run the Lackey that I'd unpacked under Windows. Does unpacking do something more when done in Linux?

Or am I missing something? A real Linux version after all? Link me up!
I got it working under Wine years back. At least I got it to run. I can't remember if it actually worked. I feel like I was at least able to load plugins. Everything is blurry because I can't remember if I ever played a game using it from linux...

So all I can offer is some hope that it might work with Wine. If my terrible memory comes up with any useful details I'll update you.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
geraldkw wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:04 amSo all I can offer is some hope that it might work with Wine.
Great! :D That's actually the closest I've ever come to successfully running Lackey, ever! 8) :thumbsup:

(I'm currently having a break from watching "Deadpool 2" right now, so I'm a bit influenced by the constant wisecracking of Wade. Please see my very dumb joke in that light. :wink: :cheersL: Insofar that it's even a joke, really.)

Someone, some months back, somewhere on forum, said they were running Lackey on a WINEd Linux right then, and that it worked fine. I think it was Armus. So... between your hope and my hopelessness, it's bound to work sometime.

Anybody have more ideas? Or more hoping? I'll take anything.

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the d[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]