This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 1174 posts

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Restating my "cry for help":
SudenKapala wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:42 pm Trying to get Lackey to work (or get me to work with Lackey :shifty: ), part umpteen.

I am on a Linux (LXLE) machine. There's a lot I don't know yet about Linux. I have installed something called "wine-stable" -- which seemed more, ah... stable, than the thing called "wine-development". And those were the only ones I could choose from, when I asked "apt-get" to please install wine.

So, was that what I needed? If I double-click the Lackey executable, it DNGN. What's next?
(DNGN: does nothing, goes nowhere.)

Aside from trying Lackey in LXLE now, I've dabbled with Zorin OS as well; anybody have any experience with that combination, by any chance? Or tips on how/which WINE to use?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Latro and I are trying out Lackey -- I could borrow a Windows machine for the day, and got it to work there. (My cry / request / begging for help still stands with Linux, so I can use a PC of my own. :roll: :( Please? Anybody?)

I have already played one (1) mission. :shifty: :thumbsup: 8)

But we cannot see each other's avatars. (Priorities!) The log says that we request each others' avatars; but how do you affirm those requests? (And is it a symptom of a problem that will hamper our game?)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm going to number my questions, because it seems that it may take a while before someone comes around who can answer them. 8)

(1) Can someone please help me with Lackey in Linux (LXLE, Zorin) / WINE?

(2) How should the exchange of avatar files work? Prolly not by sending the file...? (This question is of least importance. But SIIIYr avatars. :P )

OK, sending each other our avatar files and storing them in the Lackey folder works... but prolly there is a better way. (?)

We have finished seeding... Now... (3) How do I see which missions I "own"? Which are mine? All 12 are rotated "topside-up" for both players. Is there an ownership lable somewhere, which you can look up?
Same goes for cards that we both put on table, say, Neutral Outpost. (4) Could we, theoretically, trade them? Does that have an impact on the game?
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
2) When you join a game and lackey transfers the avatars on its own.
Maybe there are rights missing.
3) change
Preferences -> Appearance ->
Card appearance preferences
Opponent's cards on the table always face you?
4) You can change ownership of a card. Once you flip it, non-owners can't see the other side, backside on the top left.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
1) I don't know exactly what your specific issues are. I have been running Lackey on Linux via WINE for 6 years.... which means my memories of installing it are fairly vague, if existent at all at this point! :P

Today I can double-click the executable and it opens up no problem. However, IIRC, when I first installed it, I had to right-click and "Open with" and select WINE Program Loader. Then it worked.

I'm also not sure what version of Linux you're running (or if it matters) - I'm personally running Ubuntu 14.04 (probably woefully out of date at this point as I keep getting asked if I want to upgrade, but everything works at the moment, so if it ain't broke...)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks a bunch, both! :thumbsup:

I will explain some things how I experienced / did them (or lack thereof), for other possible future Linuxi. Hopefully, if when I make progress (with your help :shifty: ), this thread will lead to a cure.
eberlems wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:15 pm 2) When you join a game and lackey transfers the avatars on its own.
Maybe there are rights missing.
Could be... I extracted Lackey to the Desktop of this Windows. So I guess the Lackey folder has inherited the rights from the Desktop? This might pose a problem...? But not so important. (And if anyone new to Lackey would be curious: during our game, no further evidence of obstruction because of this.)
3) change
Preferences -> Appearance ->
Card appearance preferences
Opponent's cards on the table always face you?
Yes! OK. Perhaps I changed that days ago when I was experimenting... So, as IRL, you keep track of cards by their orientation. :thumbsup:
4) You can change ownership of a card.
By "taking control", I think... (?) ( "(?)" = "Correct me when wrong, pls." :cheersR: )
Once you flip it, non-owners can't see the other side, backside on the top left.
... and that is the only difference -- aside from above-mentioned orientation(?).
Armus wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:23 pm 1) I don't know exactly what your specific issues are.
It just "didn't work" :P , but I also didn't know how it should work... Now, I can tell you more about what goes wrong.
I have been running Lackey on Linux via WINE for 6 years.... which means my memories of installing it are fairly vague, if existent at all at this point! :P
Thanks for trying, though -- ad this is a good start!
Today I can double-click the executable and it opens up no problem.
Hah! See. I suspected that this should be the case, but it doesn't (yet :roll: ) work. But now I know for certain that something is wrong.
However, IIRC, when I first installed it, I had to right-click and "Open with" and select WINE Program Loader. Then it worked.
I tried this, too; and while I see a handfull of applications (or such), I see nothing remotely resembling WINE. :thumbsdown: So... another step in finding out what is wrong! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'm also not sure what version of Linux you're running (or if it matters) - I'm personally running Ubuntu 14.04 (probably woefully out of date at this point
I believe so. 8) I think they were at 18, when I last installed it -- fairly recent, in summer.
as I keep getting asked if I want to upgrade, but everything works at the moment, so if it ain't broke...)
... If it ain't broke, toast an image from your system disk! :wink:
That's my main motto. But TBH, I've never really got imaging to work with Linux, since I tend to switch hard disks / partitions a lot (because I'm always upgrading the least-old of my handful of scrapyard PCs with slightly-less-old surplus material that I'm given :neutral: ) and I've never understood anything of the Linux bootloaders yet.

I have tried WINE at least on a(n) LXLE (I pronounce it "Lucsly") box.

Ubuntu doesn't really work -- or at least, extremely slow -- on that same machine; but I think it's there... :o My friend installed both LXLE and Ubuntu on it, multi-boot. (He's a wizard, but n/a right now.)

So I only really use LXLE so far. WINE seemed not to be in its "repositories"...? (But I know very little of all that.) To install, I could choose only from "wine-stable" or "wine-development". I chose "-stable".

(5) Do you know whether your incarnation of WINE is really, only, called "WINE"? And do you have any idea whether I have the wrong version?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Of course I read that page, what do you think I am, stup--

Oh. I missed a line. :shifty: Thx for pointing that out. :wink:

I'll try that vcrun2008 thing - I think I have to do that. :roll:

Doesn't work > need to install WineTricks w/ Apt-Get > installs > can run said line now > does stuff > installs some MS Vis C++ or VB thing, need to give assent > does some more things.

That did a lot... but Lack still not working. I now see another application to "open with", indeed; WineTricks. If I use that to open lackey...exe, GNDN. :neutral: Baby steps.

Rebooting into Ubuntu 18, to apply same procedure there... No new "open with" item appears; at least nothing starting with "WINE". :( EDIT: a sys restart helped, there. But now, same thing happens in Ubuntu as what happened in LXLE: I get a message saying, "You're using 64b WINEPREFIX. Many verbs only install 32b package versions. If problems, please retest in clean 32b WINEPREFIX before reporting bug."

(6) Does anybody have an idea what that all means for me, i.e. how I 'test in a clean 32-bit prefix'? Do I need to install another wine or winetricks?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
eberlems wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:00 pm do these help?
https://askubuntu.com/questions/177192/ ... ine-prefix
I don't know yet. But it looks like Bajoran or Romulan script to me (I once had [SD] Computer Skill but I left it back in 2001). I certainly don't know what I'd be typing in. I'm a bit anxious about that, because I can't troubleshoot anything, then.

What I do know, is that I've been trying out Lack in w7 and 8w1 -- both 64b systems. Why did it work there, but not in a 64b "prefix" in Linux?

(Thx again, though.)

By Spock with a Goatee (Stephen R Sanders)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Has anyone had success running Lackey on MacOS? For various reasons, I can't play on my gaming PC for the next few weeks and am using our MacBook Air. I downloaded Lackey for Mac and gave it permission to run in the Security and Privacy area in System Preferences. However, now when I start the application it just goes to the Lackey website saying that it finds no fonts.

Has anyone solved this problem? For reference, I'm using MacOS Catalina on a recent MacBook Air. Thanks!

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]