This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 1174 posts

By Nava
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Timo wrote:Thanks Nava for adding the pack definitions! I've been playing tonnes of Voyager Starter Warp Speed with my brother. He usually doesn't have the attention span for 1E, but with a single sealed starter we open and make decks and play a game within 30 to 40 minutes!

Tim
Glad you do enjoy it - I think it's now time for a OTSD tournament via Lackey :)

Btw, I found some more info on the DS9 starters and will improve them in the next release (those starters were also semi-fixed).

Nava

P.S. Thanks to Timo for implementing OTF and of course to Johan aka scox for doing all his graet work to keep Lackey 1E alive and kicking... :cheersL:

By scox (Johan Skoglund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
And then I of course have to thank both Nava and Timo for their great effort in updating the plugin! :)

Regarding OTSD tournament, I would love to join one, I love playing OTSD! I think the Lackey tournament last year worked quite well, so a similar tournament with games once a week, running for 4 weeks should work? Anyone that would volunteer to be TD at such an event? Most convenient if the TD is from same time zone as most participants I suppose, if the TD should be available during matches?

(I could probably do it; but my time is limited, and I would like to focus on next Lackey plugin update at this point - a TD task would probably take time from plugin development)

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I just finished a midterm and I have a little more free time.

What are thoughts on how it would run?

With the voyager starters we open the packs, make the decks, and play them right then. With a longer term sealed deck tournament each player would have to maintain the card pool through out. Perhaps I, or whoever TDs, should open the packs and create each card pool, save the file, then send them out to each player randomly. That way we'd know each player was set up correctly, and not worry about saving over, losing decks, etc. Does that make sense?

An OTSD is enough for a deck, but it can be limiting with personnel selection. Plus, most of the best personnel in Premier were rare. When ever I've played OTSD we usually just throw in whatever packs we have around, even if they don't really make sense.

What OTSD mix do people prefer?

Tim

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Timo wrote:What OTSD mix do people prefer?
I had a OTSD + Enh. Premiere tournament once, that was pretty fun!

By Nava
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Timo wrote: Perhaps I, or whoever TDs, should open the packs and create each card pool, save the file, then send them out to each player randomly. That way we'd know each player was set up correctly, and not worry about saving over, losing decks, etc. Does that make sense?
Hi Tim,

that plan sounds good! Simply provide every player with his OTSD an avoid potential problems...

A typical OTSD will draw about 18-22 Personnel, with 2 or 3 Boosters the chances will rise for more diverse personnel selection and more classical treaty decks (Fed/Rom or Fed/Kli) instead of three-way Treaty or delayed three-way Treaty. Perhaps this would make it easier for casual players to build an initial deck. On the other hand the typical characteristics of an OTSD would be lost...

I would opt for OTSD solo / OTSD + max 2 of Prem and/or AU :twocents:

Nava

By scox (Johan Skoglund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Nava wrote:
Timo wrote: Perhaps I, or whoever TDs, should open the packs and create each card pool, save the file, then send them out to each player randomly. That way we'd know each player was set up correctly, and not worry about saving over, losing decks, etc. Does that make sense?
Hi Tim,

that plan sounds good! Simply provide every player with his OTSD an avoid potential problems...

A typical OTSD will draw about 18-22 Personnel, with 2 or 3 Boosters the chances will rise for more diverse personnel selection and more classical treaty decks (Fed/Rom or Fed/Kli) instead of three-way Treaty or delayed three-way Treaty. Perhaps this would make it easier for casual players to build an initial deck. On the other hand the typical characteristics of an OTSD would be lost...

I would opt for OTSD solo / OTSD + max 2 of Prem and/or AU :twocents:

Nava
I usually enjoy many SD formats, but I think normally it is more fun to keep the amount of available cards down a bit. So not more than 2 extra boosters - which ones doesn't matter to me, classic would be one prem and one AU extra. Q works too, but there's more that you cannot use then.

Hmm... just looked up and realized that I have a box with OTSD's, premier, AU and Q boosters standing in the shelf... I think I should host an irl OTSD soon as well. :)

PS: Fixing trunk now - then it is only updating updatelist, and plugin 2.4 - including the new S&S cards - is going to be ready. :) Unfortunately that will have to wait until tomorrow morning - falling asleep now. Beta branch hold 2.4 status though, if someone like to test. DS

By Nava
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I would say that we should simply start now with an OTSD tournament by asking who is interested. Either Timo or I will TD - anybody interested should post what format he would be interested; I would suggest either

a) OTSD blank without boosters or
b) OTSD with one Premiere and one AU booster

After selecting a format we would contact you, send you a card pool to build a deck from and a opponent for the first round. Time frame should be 5-7 days per round.

Price support to be determined, we'll find something...

Who is interested?

Nava

P.S. Prerequisite would be Lackey version 0.091014 (not the newer beta) and startrek1E 2.3.1 or 2.4

By Nava
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
soggy_amphibian wrote:
Nava wrote:P.S. Prerequisite would be Lackey version 0.091014 (not the newer beta)
Lackey site only has the newer beta for download.
Thanks for the note!
To clarify: The download on the main page of Lackey is build 0.091014 (retrieved 2010-10-26). There is also a newer version of Lackey for Beta testing accessible via forum; this newer version changes networking, hence the requirement of 0.091014 Build 10-14-09 (the version from the front page).
The newer versions will not easily cooperate with older versions. As long as you are not using the beta-beta version of 10-23-10 or newer (and you will know if you do!!!!) you should be fine.

Nava

By Nava
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
soggy_amphibian wrote:
Nava wrote:P.S. Prerequisite would be Lackey version 0.091014 (not the newer beta)
Lackey site only has the newer beta for download.
Nevertheless if you are interested ... I/ we would be happy if you join in!

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Nava wrote:I would say that we should simply start now with an OTSD tournament by asking who is interested. Either Timo or I will TD - anybody interested should post what format he would be interested; I would suggest either

Who is interested?
I'm very interested. I will have to double check to make sure that my Lackey version is the correct one.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

By soggy_amphibian (Mark)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maje
Thanks, the name "beta" in the download title confused me.
I've constructed a "Back to the PAQ" deck, if anyone would like to run me through the whole making it work and playing using it things. PM me to arrange. If it works for me, I would love to join your sealed deck event.
Will your event be eligible for the Chairman's Challenge?

By scox (Johan Skoglund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Plugin updated!

Main new feature is of course that the new expansion Straight and Steady has been added to the plugin. A few other things has also been changed, such as improved DS9 starters in packs, removed now converted 2EBC cards, and some fixed errors in the card db.

Full changelog and download information is available in the first post in this topic.

Enjoy!

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I updated the plugin. Looking good, except the OTSD pack is no longer working. Other packs are working, but when I select OTSD nothing happens.

Let's say my opponent manages to get an intruder o[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

One last check before I enter the event for the 28[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

I thought this was the intended functionality, and[…]

updated with VPs and Errata