Discuss our Excelsior tournament format, storyline events, and anything else related to this experimental new tournament style
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
I'm running an act 2 casual event tomorrow afternoon, and I need to build and print decks to take with me.

It would really help me if the deck builder excelsior format pool could be updated in the next 12 hours.

I guess there's only sleeping and working US hours between now and then, so if starter decks were published or even just PMed to me, that would do the same job.

Or anyone else in the community, if you've built an Excelsior 1.1 deck, want to swap lists?

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I'm doing my best to get this done... my new work "schedule" is taking its toll. The v1.1 cardlist should be done later today, and I hope to get at least a couple of the starter decks published in the next couple days. Apologies.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Sorry to hear that Matt, your schedule sounds rough. We managed to build some decks in time for our event.

Early thoughts:

I've changed my mind about the fed card pool, I really like the earth theme. Cadets seem to be fun in a non-oppressive manner (high ratio of weenie hate and everyone is using it). A pity that we're losing recognizable cards but on balance this pool is better.

Attrition is quite strong now. Based on actual play with 4 players I strongly recommend taking out some dilemmas:

agonizing encounter which (1) feels like too much of a staple from standard to belong in a fun format (2) is super wordy (3) works even better with a constrained set of missions (overlaps more likely) and personnel (the chances of solving after 3 stops to a crew of 8 are minimal), making this an all stop for 1 under

Dead Ringer which is crazy wordy, no newish player can just work out what it means from the text (even I find myself second guessing when it's not a case of just "I know what the card does, just trust me" and I have to read the text to explain. Most of the time works as an all stop for 1 under but it's not easy to understand when and when it does (almost) nothing. Yes you can play around it but explaining why I'm overfilling my hand to discard Personnel 3 turns earlier to pass this one weird dilemma is super complicated.

Taking these out would force more creativity and get the pool to a state where it's not just a case of putting all the best dilemmas in your pile because why not. Chained environment etc will only be good when it's not overshadowed by easy deck building options.

I have some doubts about intimidation hosing romulans and cardassians but this didn't actually come up in play.

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Due to the delay in releasing the card pool, the Season 1 Act II schedule has been extended to September 16! That means 10 more weeks of Act II goodness. Act III will debut in time for Worlds in October. Enjoy the extra games, and thanks for your feedback on how we can keep improving on Excelsior. There will be an article officially announcing this change released in the next week.
Question for noob

You can use Defend Homeworld instead of Quark[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]