Discuss our Excelsior tournament format, storyline events, and anything else related to this experimental new tournament style

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Howdy folks. Thanks for your patience, this list took a little longer to compile due to its increased size and complexity. But without further ado, here is the link for the proposed Act II cardpool (v1.1):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cLV ... sp=sharing

Please feel free to post any feedback here, or you can PM me any thoughts you might have. A few highlights:

•The Dominion has infiltrated the Alpha Quadrant thanks to the destabilization caused by the Klingon Empire's collapse. As such, the Federation and Romulans have prepared their defenses and are ready to fight for their survival.

•The Cardassians have not allied themselves with the Dominion yet (otherwise Terok Nor would be an HQ in the cardpool). They have grown more bold in their advances thanks to the Klingon withdrawal, and are looking to expand their borders.

•There are a few "orphan" affiliated cards that don't match up with the other HQs, but have alternate ways to enter play. They have been included mostly for storyline conceits, but can unlock the power of some cards included in the v1.1 list.

•Gamma Quadrant missions are available! As a result, Expedient Opportunity has also been included.

•There are less opportunities in the cardpool for combat than for engagements; there is an emphasis on ships and their safety, as the Alpha Quadrant is faced with an overwhelming Dominion invasion force.

•Many staple interrupts have been included: Bridge Officer's Test, Grav-Plating Trap, and Our Death Is Glory to the Founders all make their Excelsior debut.

•Commodities have been introduced along with a few familiar faces to help support this strategy, should you wish to play the more business-minded side of the Dominion.

•A small number of Paranoia and Infiltration cards are included to give Excelsior players a taste of these strategies.

Please include any feedback here: I will review each post here before finalizing the v1.1 cardpool next Monday, April 23rd. Thanks, and I hope you will enjoy the new cardpool as we approach the beginning of Act II.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Orbin wrote:Will there be starters for Act II?
After the v1.1 cardpool is finalized on Monday, yes, there will be starter decks for each HQ.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Early thoughts, I had a look at the Dominion cards yesterday:

Infiltration: I'm not sure how effective the -1 attributes idea will be when the field is full of weenies (and some weenie hate went away, which was necessary). Adding skills to the missions might be good with all of that intelligence although not against Romulans. If you can find a way to splash infiltration without slowing down your own solving that would be the way to go.

Engagements: Tykk could be good with the guy who unstops you from engagements. Slow them down with disable sensors, get a free personnel (cost 4+ offsets the cost of the engagement card), then unstop yourself and go on with your turn as normal. Beware Draz does not fetch new assaults if you are using Disable sensors or Persistent Strike because they are not destroyed after the engagement.

Question: my stccg senses tell me that an event "placed in discard pile" is not the same as an event "destroyed" so you can't use Draz even after a ship is repaired?

EDIT: Oooh Delta Pavonis is in this pool. This gets interesting ...

Combat: not sure if this can work with just audacious assault.

Commodities: Haven't looked at commodities yet but I suppose in a less powerful format this may be its chance to shine? I like the story-mode though, early encounter with the dominion in the form of their trade empire. A pity that they didn't do more with that in the show.

Plain old strength solver: I was more excited to experiment with the themes, haven't looked at this either. I see the staples like Remataklan made it in. No doubt there is a solid starter deck to be built here.

I'm surprised to see Crom in the format when one of the goals was to cut down downloads. But I suppose he is once-off? And there's no Survey New World to easily ditch him and play another copy.

All in all very excited that I'll be able to play Dominion, I hope I can make something other than a plain strength solver work :).
Last edited by Fritzinger on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
eberlems wrote:It's a bit larger than expected, 50 mb Excelsior 1.1 pdf
Thanks for posting that! It looks like you duplicated Beverly Crusher on the first TNG page, Bejal Otner should be in that first slot.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
:( fixed.

I was looking for the "all but one to be stopped" dilemmas, but they are no longer there.
But Chula can be nasty or the overwhelmed & urgency combo.

Montgomery Scott, Relic can counter 28 dilemmas naming the skills, seems a bit op.

The Cost of Freedom is nasty when your deck runs out. The ressican flute doesn't have that many car/na personnel.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Fritzinger wrote:Does the [Cmd] from Special Modifications count towards the count for Miracle Working?
:thumbsup: Pulling Rank as well!
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
I looked at Feds for the first time... switching personas on all the main characters is a clever trick for showing character progression but I think it's too quick for people to say goodbye to their favourite personnel, if an affiliation hasn't been knocked out.

I'm also sad to say goodbye to Cytherian Barclay since that's what I arranged with Kris and Maggie would be the prize for our Excelsior Regional :/. Not sure what to do with that now.

Maggie to the rescue!
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Having built a few decks I'm starting to see that synergy with the dilemma pile is going to be vital for interaction decks. If you want your assassins to do stuff, or you want to capture, or you want to blow ships up, you need to have the right dilemmas and make sure they hit. It's not just about verbs in the draw deck.

This is a great way to make the dilemma pile matter beyond just "your attempt ends because these random aliens showed up".

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Fritzinger wrote:Hi Matt, any update on this?
I should have some time to work on this over the weekend, it's been a busy week between several jobs. New 1.1 list should be input and live tomorrow.
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]