By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
If you have cargo vessel and Fesarius at the same location, what is the Fesarius' attack restrictions?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
winterflames wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:56 pm If you have cargo vessel and Fesarius at the same location, what is the Fesarius' attack restrictions?
Not official, but if asked in a Tournament I was running, I'd say that the Fesarius' own restriction controls as it's the more restrictive of the two.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Things like this are exactly why Magic has complex rules called layers and timestamps. Since 1E doesn't really have that, it gets more nebulous.

I think I agree with @Armus on this one, that both are special skills, both set the same variable, but because Fesarius is more restrictive, it wins.

Oddly enough, if Fesarius said that in a restrictions box instead of the skill box, I think I'd argue it goes the other way.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:08 pm
winterflames wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:56 pm If you have cargo vessel and Fesarius at the same location, what is the Fesarius' attack restrictions?
Not official, but if asked in a Tournament I was running, I'd say that the Fesarius' own restriction controls as it's the more restrictive of the two.
I'd say they both apply, in the same way if you put a [Fed] on the Cargo Vessel you still end up with Fed restrictions.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:54 pm
Armus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:08 pm
I'd say they both apply, in the same way if you put a [Fed] on the Cargo Vessel you still end up with Fed restrictions.
How is that different in practical terms than the Fesarius restriction box controlling?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I came to the same conclusion, but from a different angle. Cargo Vessel applys standard attack restrictions to a unspecific group of [NA] cards at a location defined by where the Cargo Vessel is (here).

[NA] cards can come and go into and out of the field of this ability, and the ability it self moves with the Cargo Vessel.

Fesarius on the other hand has a specific Attack restriction. That restriction is enforced no matter where Fesarius is, whether it enters the field of Cargo Vessel's ability or not.

From the Rulebook: in the Introduction: About This Rulebook (1.2) section.

A specific rule overrides a more general rule, and a card's specific text overrides an otherwise applicable rule.

Extrapolation seems to indicate that a specific text, therefore overrides a general text as well.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:55 pm
AllenGould wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:54 pm I'd say they both apply, in the same way if you put a [Fed] on the Cargo Vessel you still end up with Fed restrictions.
How is that different in practical terms than the Fesarius restriction box controlling?
In practical terms, you end up in the same spot. Difference is that I don't think it's a case of overriding, but of addition.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation