By Andre
 -  
Hi! My brother and I are starting to play Star Trek CCG again after like 20 years! I have searched and cant find new rules to newer set Enterprise Collection. I see they are technically not the Federation. Are they there own affiliation? IE like Klingons or Romulans. Or do they do work with Federation?

Thank you!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Andre wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:22 pm Hi! My brother and I are starting to play Star Trek CCG again after like 20 years! I have searched and cant find new rules to newer set Enterprise Collection. I see they are technically not the Federation. Are they there own affiliation? IE like Klingons or Romulans. Or do they do work with Federation?

Thank you!
They're Starfleet, not Federation. For gameplay purposes they're their own affiliation.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
They are, indeed, their own affiliation. They have standard attack restrictions: [SF] can initiate battle against any affiliation except other [SF] .

When The Enterprise Collection was created, you just had to play the handful of [SF] personnel who existed to Seat of Starfleet, which was played directly on Earth because Decipher did this set VERY quick and dirty. You could then supplement the handful of [SF] personnel with "backwards-compatible" [SF] personnel from Second Edition. They were still a very bad, almost unplayable, affiliation.

The failure of Decipher [SF] was one of the strongest arguments for making virtual cards, and, indeed, the Continuing Committee fixed a lot of this. Seat of Starfleet now has a matching time location, 22nd-Century San Francisco (which downloads the headquarters). Since that's going to be your only reporting location, you're going to need easy ways to time travel between the time location and the spaceline: hello to Temporal Conduit and Protect the Timeline (which adds an extra free report!). And the CC has produced two sets mainly focused on [SF] (Straight and Steady + Broken Bow) plus several others focused on the Alpha Quadrant's [22] era (Live Long and Prosper + Cold Front + the Pre-Warp Pack), including a fully remastered printable high-def version of The Enterprise Collection.

Check out the sets, check out some of the recent decks that have been using Seat of Starfleet and the other cards from the various sets, and you can have a state-of-the-art [SF] deck in no time!

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:22 pm They are, indeed, their own affiliation. They have standard attack restrictions: [SF] can initiate battle against any affiliation except other [SF] .

When The Enterprise Collection was created, you just had to play the handful of [SF] personnel who existed to Seat of Starfleet, which was played directly on Earth because Decipher did this set VERY quick and dirty. You could then supplement the handful of [SF] personnel with "backwards-compatible" [SF] personnel from Second Edition. They were still a very bad, almost unplayable, affiliation.

The failure of Decipher [SF] was one of the strongest arguments for making virtual cards, and, indeed, the Continuing Committee fixed a lot of this. Seat of Starfleet now has a matching time location, 22nd-Century San Francisco (which downloads the headquarters). Since that's going to be your only reporting location, you're going to need easy ways to time travel between the time location and the spaceline: hello to Temporal Conduit and Protect the Timeline (which adds an extra free report!). And the CC has produced two sets mainly focused on [SF] (Straight and Steady + Broken Bow) plus several others focused on the Alpha Quadrant's [22] era (Live Long and Prosper + Cold Front + the Pre-Warp Pack), including a fully remastered printable high-def version of The Enterprise Collection.

Check out the sets, check out some of the recent decks that have been using Seat of Starfleet and the other cards from the various sets, and you can have a state-of-the-art [SF] deck in no time!
There were many constraints regarding the design and development of the Enterprise Collection, but to say it was a failure and unplayable is simply unfounded if not inappropriate.

Pre-Straight and Steady [SF] were not only playable, they were also winning several tournaments and were the most popular affiliation at Worlds in 2009.

Not only that, several people at the time thought [SF] was a great entry affiliation and a great template for future affiliations. Indeed, some people thought they were overpowered.

I believe the main catalyst for making [SF] virtual cards was to make them feel more complete and to remove the mild reliance on 2EBC cards more so than to make them "playable". In addition, the atheistic of having a "past" affiliation without a time location felt awkward to many. That said, I agree that having an affiliation defined by just 18 cards can leave a lot more to be desired. However, that desire for more is not necessarily indicative of an initial failure.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I stand corrected.

I did not play between 2003 and 2011, so everything I know from those days is either received wisdom or rules documents.

Rule documents didn't even mention Starfleet until the CC issued a CRD in December 2008, and received wisdom is -- evidently-- not always entirely reliable.

By Loneman1
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Cool to see a thread about the Starfleet affiliation! I had a random question pop in my head after not playing the game in years other than a few quick ones using the introductory two player edition from the OG box set......is there any way for Starfleet and the Federation to work cooperatively? I don't seem to recall there being any treaty cards in existence, and a quick card search on here didn't find any either unless I was reaaaaaaally that tired when I looked the other night and missed it. lol
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Loneman1 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:04 pm Cool to see a thread about the Starfleet affiliation! I had a random question pop in my head after not playing the game in years other than a few quick ones using the introductory two player edition from the OG box set......is there any way for Starfleet and the Federation to work cooperatively? I don't seem to recall there being any treaty cards in existence, and a quick card search on here didn't find any either unless I was reaaaaaaally that tired when I looked the other night and missed it. lol
These Are the Voyages

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
You also have several [SF] outposts now that you can simply build on the spaceline normally. There's even a mirror Starfleet that has a very interesting empty-hand mechanic too.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation