First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Question's in the title, but can I use a special download on a personnel affected by Cytherians? Assume it has nothing to do with getting them to the far end of spaceline any faster.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
This is all I got...
Glossary wrote: The only other actions the ship and
crew may perform are moving (“Ship must
do nothing but…” means “ship and crew
must do nothing but…”) and meeting
conditions to cure/nullify cards affecting the
ship.
Seeing that using a [DL] is an action, the above glossary entry prevents it being used.

The 'meeting conditions' bit I reckon would mean using their regular skills?
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
actions – required wrote:Personnel and equipment
may not be removed from the ship by any
means. The only other actions the ship and
crew may perform are moving (“Ship must
do nothing but…” means “ship and crew
must do nothing but…”) and meeting
conditions to cure/nullify cards affecting the
ship
I would say no, in your scenario the crew cannot use special downloads, as it is an action that is not performed to move the ship or to cure/nullify cards affecting the ship.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:Question's in the title, but can I use a special download on a personnel affected by Cytherians? Assume it has nothing to do with getting them to the far end of spaceline any faster.
Once Cytherians has resolved, no - an [DL] is an action.

However, you can respond to Cytherians by doing the downloads before you get whacked.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:I agree with everyone but [DL] suspends play in the game. So my that logic they should be able to use there [DL]. Wowbagger's rulebook says you can use [DL] at any time too.
The problem isn't timing, it's permission. Cytherians doesn't let those cards take actions other than move, and using a [DL], while super fast, is still an action.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:I agree with everyone but [DL] suspends play in the game. So my that logic they should be able to use there [DL]. Wowbagger's rulebook says you can use [DL] at any time too.
The problem isn't timing, it's permission. Cytherians doesn't let those cards take actions other than move, and using a [DL], while super fast, is still an action.

Ok 1E is tricky sometimes.
 -  
Community Contributor
This makes sense to me, but was so surprising when it happened in game that I wanted to check I played it right. Thanks, all!
 -  
Community Contributor
And, per the CRD entry from earlier this year, I could use a [DL] that did directly result in shortened travel, like using Bareil to get a Plasmadyne Relay.

But my hope at the tournament was to use all the downloads on an [OS] ship under Cytherians as it passed my outpost, to deliver my outpost buddies some free equipment and personnel. Realized at the last second that I can't, and it seems I was right about that.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.