By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
When Bajoran women become Cardassian by affiliation using Comfort Women, are they still Bajorans by race?

Also, can Comfort Women be seeded on Disrupt Alliance (Mirror Bajor)?

(Normally, when a battle is prevented somehow, the personnel initiating the battle are stopped.)
If my personnel hide from personnel battle using Smoke Bomb, are my opponent's guys still stopped? (I ask because of the weid word 'hide' on the card)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote:When Bajoran women become Cardassian by affiliation using Comfort Women, are they still Bajorans by race?

Also, can Comfort Women be seeded on Disrupt Alliance (Mirror Bajor)?

(Normally, when a battle is prevented somehow, the personnel initiating the battle are stopped.)
If my personnel hide from personnel battle using Smoke Bomb, are my opponent's guys still stopped? (I ask because of the weid word 'hide' on the card)
Yes. [Baj] --> [Car] != Bajoran --> Cardassian. Comfort Women changes the former but not the latter.

Technically yes, though your (now [Car] ) female Bajorans won't be able to work with your [KCA] [Baj] or [KCA] [Kli] without some other card effect allowing them to do so (unless they also have [KCA], in which case Emblem of the Alliance covers them -- you trying to make a [Car] Intendant? :wink: )

They are still stopped because they were involved in a battle at the beginning. This came up at Manassters 2018 and is covered by the personnel battle glossary entry.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Comfort Women are still Bajoran by race.

Comfort Women can not be played on Mirror Bajor:
[MQ] cards are often written from the
perspective of the mirror universe. When a
[MQ] card refers to a planet by name, it
means the Mirror Quadrant version of that
planet. All other named references to planets
mean the normal-universe versions of that
planet (unless otherwise specified). For
example, The City of B'Hala may seed only
at the Alpha Quadrant version of Bajor (Alter
Records); Mirror Terok Nor, which has the
[MQ] icon, may seed only at the [MQ]
version of Bajor (Disrupt Alliance).
Now that we have a whole forum for rules questions, can we stop adding to this giant unsearchable thread?
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote:So that would mean no personnel may report for free to a [MQ] Badlands mission using They Call Themselves the Maquis?
The rule specifies a named planet, so a region should still be good?
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
Dukat wrote:So that would mean no personnel may report for free to a [MQ] Badlands mission using They Call Themselves the Maquis?
The rule specifies a named planet, so a region should still be good?
Alan's answer should not be right, because it's frankly nutty to treat planets and regions differently in this way... but it nevertheless is right at present. Named planet = alpha only, unless it's mirror, in which case it's mirror only. Named region = any universe.

Attempts to fix this, as I understand it, have run aground on the shoals of:

(a) Removing They Call Themselves The Maquis from KCA would be a drastic nerf to an affiliation that needs Maquis help

(b) It's weird for Navigate Plasma Storms to only work in one quadrant's Badlands.

(c) There was some wording difficulty, possibly, the details of which are no longer in my memory banks.

Priority is low because there haven't been a lot of public complaints about the inconsistency, and because any fix would possibly require errata to NPS and development and release of a "patch" card to fix KCA -- which means all four departments (Design, Errata, Rules, Playtesting) are implicated and cross-department initiatives outside the regular design pipeline are always a bear.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
I imagine part of the fun is that cards like They Call Themselves The Maquis and Navigate Plasma Storms don't play on a location, so there's nothing to point to which quadrant they're referring to.

Also, I could see it getting really weird with things like "nebula" or "planet mission" - at some point we need to switch from "I'm talking about that thing, specifically, right there" to "I'm talking about this type of thing".

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I was told a while back that a [Car] Kai Winn can still report for free to Chamber of Minsisters which references the species Bajoran Kais, not the affiliation. Correct?
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:I was told a while back that a [Car] Kai Winn can still report for free to Chamber of Minsisters which references the species Bajoran Kais, not the affiliation. Correct?
That accords with the general rule, and I see no specific exception for HQs the way there is for Espionage cards. ("Bajoran" refers to BOTH affiliation and species.)

Of course, she must still be compatible with the HQ. But yes! Is my answer.

Decklist updated to include dilemmas. Crippling St[…]

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't com[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]