By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I just want to make sure I fully understand this.

So with TOS around Niz Baris is going to be played.

He has a special download of Incoming Message - Federation

So I encounter Cytherians and use the special download and my ship gets called off to the outpost.

Am I stopped? What about at a dual space/planet mission? Is my away team on the planet stopped? Do I get to fly home then fly back and attempt Cytherians again with just the ship and staff I want to go for a ride?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Spectre9 wrote:So I encounter Cytherians and use the special download and my ship gets called off to the outpost.

Am I stopped? What about at a dual space/planet mission? Is my away team on the planet stopped? Do I get to fly home then fly back and attempt Cytherians again with just the ship and staff I want to go for a ride?
You are not stopped. Cytherians goes back under the mission; it is as if you've never encountered it.

(Indeed, you haven't encountered it. You use the Special Download before the Cytherians is officially encountered or starts to affect your ship, because Special Download timing ignores all other rules and limits on timing. That's why this works differently from the thread that Discovery Sux reasonably linked to.)

The mission attempt ends, but, since you didn't fail a dilemma's requirements, you're not stopped, and in fact MUST now use any remaining RANGE to fly back toward your outpost. Nobody on the ship can beam off until they've finished flying home.

Yes, you will presumably return there next time with a minimal crew and an expendable ship to eat the Cytherians.

Yes, bugout cards are stupid.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
The rules question here is: Does Incoming Message kick you out of a mission attempt?

And comparing the text vs. Cytherians, I think the answer is yes. (In which case the dilemma goes back under, the ship heads to base, and any people on the planet are left behind.)
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Yes, bugout cards are stupid.
Although this one has a nasty edge if you have the right version for your opponent and a way to recur it.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Spectre9 wrote:So I encounter Cytherians and use the special download and my ship gets called off to the outpost.

You are not stopped. Cytherians goes back under the mission; it is as if you've never encountered it.

(Indeed, you haven't encountered it. You use the Special Download before the Cytherians is officially encountered or starts to affect your ship, because Special Download timing ignores all other rules and limits on timing. That's why this works differently from the thread that Discovery Sux reasonably linked to.)

The mission attempt ends, but, since you didn't fail a dilemma's requirements, you're not stopped, and in fact MUST now use any remaining RANGE to fly back toward your outpost. Nobody on the ship can beam off until they've finished flying home.

Yes, you will presumably return there next time with a minimal crew and an expendable ship to eat the Cytherians.

Yes, bugout cards are stupid.
Incoming message was actually in the directors column once about banned because of the bug out effect now. It probably should be errated like emergency armbands back in the day. Since that card had a bug out effect at first in the game.
 -  
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:Incoming message was actually in the directors column once about banned because of the bug out effect now. It probably should be errated like emergency armbands back in the day. Since that card had a bug out effect at first in the game.
Well, everybody knows what I think the best solution is.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
So I don't think the right version of this question has been asked.

What happens when a ship under Cytherians is also targeted by Incoming Message? Now you have two mandatory, and potentially contradictory, actions. How does that get resolved?

And it's relevant in the context of Baris, because unlike most [DL] actions, he can do his from the other side of the spaceline so there's nothing tying him to the mission attempt to begin with.
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:So I don't think the right version of this question has been asked.

What happens when a ship under Cytherians is also targeted by Incoming Message? Now you have two mandatory, and potentially contradictory, actions. How does that get resolved?
That one's easier, I believe. If you have to do two things, you can choose which one you're doing - but you can't do anything else.

So, assuming that the outpost and spaceline end are in opposite directions, you can choose to move towards one or the other (and I'd argue you can even change your mind if you wanted), but you still can't do anything else. Once you've tagged the end (or the outpost), then it discards and now you have to drive to the other.
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Well, everybody knows what I think the best solution is.
I think another question that's overdue to be asked is:

Why does Cytherians end the mission attempt, under the rules?

It gives the ship a required action, but unlike Dead End, it doesn't explicitly stop the attempt. So, you could make the argument that it *shouldn't* auto-end the attempt, but simply force the ship to move the next time the player can take an action.

(Yes, I know that's not how it's worked in the past, and I'm sure there's a Glossary/DRG entry specifically for this card - I'm asking if there's any general rules explaining that a must-action ends a mission attempt.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:Incoming message was actually in the directors column once about banned because of the bug out effect now. It probably should be errated like emergency armbands back in the day. Since that card had a bug out effect at first in the game.
Well, everybody knows what I think the best solution is.
Honestly alot of special downloads already have what you wanted them to be in the game. [MQ] dax [DL] a tactic card. You can't do that anytime period.
Alot of people [DL] hail but you can't do that anytime. Just 2 examples for you. I have never done it. I would assume personnel [DL] has to be on your turn. I could be wrong I was just always safe about it.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: And it's relevant in the context of Baris, because unlike most [DL] actions, he can do his from the other side of the spaceline so there's nothing tying him to the mission attempt to begin with.
I thought since Incoming Message specified "place on a ship" that when you special downloaded it, you had to place it on a ship "here", because the SD always gives the location as "here".

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Not_always_but_often wrote:
Armus wrote: And it's relevant in the context of Baris, because unlike most [DL] actions, he can do his from the other side of the spaceline so there's nothing tying him to the mission attempt to begin with.
I thought since Incoming Message specified "place on a ship" that when you special downloaded it, you had to place it on a ship "here", because the SD always gives the location as "here".
Baris's [DL] is an exception because it specifically says To any location.
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
Armus wrote:What happens when a ship under Cytherians is also targeted by Incoming Message? Now you have two mandatory, and potentially contradictory, actions. How does that get resolved?
That one's easier, I believe. If you have to do two things, you can choose which one you're doing - but you can't do anything else.
:thumbsup:
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: Well, everybody knows what I think the best solution is.
I think another question that's overdue to be asked is:

Why does Cytherians end the mission attempt, under the rules?

It gives the ship a required action, but unlike Dead End, it doesn't explicitly stop the attempt. So, you could make the argument that it *shouldn't* auto-end the attempt, but simply force the ship to move the next time the player can take an action.

(Yes, I know that's not how it's worked in the past, and I'm sure there's a Glossary/DRG entry specifically for this card - I'm asking if there's any general rules explaining that a must-action ends a mission attempt.)
A provocative thought! "Ship must do nothing but" seems to forbid new orders, but it's not clear to me from the rules that it terminates orders in progress (like this mission attempt).

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]