By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote:
sexecutioner wrote:I was today years old when I found this out.
Wait, how? Didn't you and Paddy make the Borg in Broken Bow? They follow the scheme faithfully.

(It'd be wild if you just lucked into it somehow. :) )
Paddy knows shit that I don't apparently.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:
sexecutioner wrote:I was today years old when I found this out.
Wait, how? Didn't you and Paddy make the Borg in Broken Bow? They follow the scheme faithfully.

(It'd be wild if you just lucked into it somehow. :) )
Gonna guess that Creative filled in those details for them.

(Creative is awesome.)
Yes. Yes we are.

And of course I sorted out the names in advance to make sure it all still worked.

In addition, "Hives" (ie all the "of Seventeen" drones, "of Eleven" drones etc) were originally named based on where they were located (ie "of Seventeen" drones were all on the Deflector Dish). This is a rule that we couldn't maintain without breaking the Alphabetization rule (conversions such as Six of Ninety-Six "Reconnaissance Drone" required us to establish new hives to keep things in alphabetical order), however we've tried to keep some consistency when naming new drones - so the two from Broken Bow are part of the "Of Fifty" hive, and TNG drones include the "I Borg" based "Of Thirteen" hive (Decipher's Scout drone and the CC's "Topology drone"). We have one drone from Q Who? currently - Five of Fourteen. As and when TNG Borg becomes a thing, there might be a few more "of Fourteen" drones added to that hive...
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Speakin' of hives.. is there a flavor reason for why those "of" numbers are so small?

The biggest one we have is "of Ninety Six", which means there's only 4656 unique "X of Y" names. And obviously there's gotta be more than that many drones walkin' around.

So, is it more likely..

a) that there's some backwater corner of the Collective where you'll find drone Eight Million Six Hundred Seventy-Five Thousand Three Hundred Nine of Nine Hundred Eleven Billion Eight Hundred Ninety-Two Million Two Hundred Twenty-One Thousand Three Hundred Forty-Three*

b) there's multiple hives with the same "of" designation, leading to snooty "That's Five of Seven, from the Mutara system of Sevens, not those downmarket Sector 001 of Sevens."

* bonus nerd points for IDing both numbers.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:Speakin' of hives.. is there a flavor reason for why those "of" numbers are so small?

The biggest one we have is "of Ninety Six", which means there's only 4656 unique "X of Y" names. And obviously there's gotta be more than that many drones walkin' around.

So, is it more likely..

a) that there's some backwater corner of the Collective where you'll find drone Eight Million Six Hundred Seventy-Five Thousand Three Hundred Nine of Nine Hundred Eleven Billion Eight Hundred Ninety-Two Million Two Hundred Twenty-One Thousand Three Hundred Forty-Three*

b) there's multiple hives with the same "of" designation, leading to snooty "That's Five of Seven, from the Mutara system of Sevens, not those downmarket Sector 001 of Sevens."

All Borgs are created equal, but some Borgs are created more equal than others.... :borg:
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
AllenGould wrote:Speakin' of hives.. is there a flavor reason for why those "of" numbers are so small?

So, is it more likely..

tbh they fucked up when they gave Borg names, they seem wholly unnecessary, was that a TNG or Voyager thing?

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Latok wrote:

So, is it more likely..

tbh they fucked up when they gave Borg names, they seem wholly unnecessary, was that a TNG or Voyager thing?
Those wankers at TNG with Third of Five.
 -  
Community Contributor
Latok wrote: tbh they fucked up when they gave Borg names, they seem wholly unnecessary, was that a TNG or Voyager thing?
Definitely started in TNG, because that's where old 60% Hugh comes from.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
sexecutioner wrote:
Latok wrote:

So, is it more likely..

Those wankers at TNG with Third of Five.
So they did actually call him that in the episode? I couldn't remember.
Yeah big mistake just writing something without thinking it through but logically it makes more sense to me for each cube/ship to have duplicate designations. Like the "of Fives" on each ship are a group for doing X and the "of Nines" do Y, and so on, not that that's consistent in the show/STCCG.
 -  
Community Contributor
Latok wrote: So they did actually call him that in the episode? I couldn't remember.
According to Memory Alpha, yeah.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
KazonPADD wrote:In addition, "Hives" (ie all the "of Seventeen" drones, "of Eleven" drones etc) were originally named based on where they were located (ie "of Seventeen" drones were all on the Deflector Dish). This is a rule that we couldn't maintain without breaking the Alphabetization rule (conversions such as Six of Ninety-Six "Reconnaissance Drone" required us to establish new hives to keep things in alphabetical order), however we've tried to keep some consistency when naming new drones - so the two from Broken Bow are part of the "Of Fifty" hive, and TNG drones include the "I Borg" based "Of Thirteen" hive (Decipher's Scout drone and the CC's "Topology drone"). We have one drone from Q Who? currently - Five of Fourteen. As and when TNG Borg becomes a thing, there might be a few more "of Fourteen" drones added to that hive...
And now it's my turn to be today years old!

Nice.

(The answer to Allen's question is definitely b.)
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:I'm pretty sure the X of 96 drones were all in Resistance is Futile, which was celebrating the anniversary of First Contact, which came out in 1996. :P

-crp
It's a good thing, though - if the upper cap was "of 50", the Borg namespace drops to 1275!
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Internally, surely, they use ipv6.

These designations are just simplifications they use for our benefit.
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:Internally, surely, they use ipv6.

These designations are just simplifications they use for our benefit.
"for our benefit" :shifty:

First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
MidnightLich wrote:I'm pretty sure the X of 96 drones were all in Resistance is Futile, which was celebrating the anniversary of First Contact, which came out in 1996. :P

-crp
Yes, we had a few “of Ninety-something” options, and that was the reason we chose “of Ninety-six”
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0