By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:a) that there's some backwater corner of the Collective where you'll find drone Eight Million Six Hundred Seventy-Five Thousand Three Hundred Nine of Nine Hundred Eleven Billion Eight Hundred Ninety-Two Million Two Hundred Twenty-One Thousand Three Hundred Forty-Three*
* bonus nerd points for IDing both numbers.
The first number immediately rang a bell or two.
The second one I don't recognize... for a few minutes I thought it might be the second half of 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3, but it doesn't seem to quite line up with that.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Latok wrote:
sexecutioner wrote:
Latok wrote: tbh they fucked up when they gave Borg names, they seem wholly unnecessary, was that a TNG or Voyager thing?
Those wankers at TNG with Third of Five.
So they did actually call him that in the episode? I couldn't remember.
Yeah big mistake just writing something without thinking it through but logically it makes more sense to me for each cube/ship to have duplicate designations. Like the "of Fives" on each ship are a group for doing X and the "of Nines" do Y, and so on, not that that's consistent in the show/STCCG.
I suspect that the way the TNG writers meant it was not as a unique designation among all Borg, just a designation within the five Borg on his scout ship. Like, if that hives’s programming requires a drone to do something it makes sense for it to have a way of determining which drone will carry out that task. Otherwise all the drones will try to repair the EPS relays at the same time and make a mess of it.

Of course, some later writer took that precedent as BORG HAVE NAMES, and here we are.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote:
AllenGould wrote:a) that there's some backwater corner of the Collective where you'll find drone Eight Million Six Hundred Seventy-Five Thousand Three Hundred Nine of Nine Hundred Eleven Billion Eight Hundred Ninety-Two Million Two Hundred Twenty-One Thousand Three Hundred Forty-Three*
* bonus nerd points for IDing both numbers.
The first number immediately rang a bell or two.
The second one I don't recognize... for a few minutes I thought it might be the second half of 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3, but it doesn't seem to quite line up with that.
The first one is definitely the "easy" one of the pair. But the second one is also on the Interwebs so someone will find it. :)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
edgeofhearing wrote:I suspect that the way the TNG writers meant it was not as a unique designation among all Borg, just a designation within the five Borg on his scout ship. Like, if that hives’s programming requires a drone to do something it makes sense for it to have a way of determining which drone will carry out that task. Otherwise all the drones will try to repair the EPS relays at the same time and make a mess of it.

Of course, some later writer took that precedent as BORG HAVE NAMES, and here we are.
I'm personally just bugged that they changed the naming standard for no reason. We should have Third of Five and Seventh of Nine or Three of Five and Seven of Nine.

But I suppose it would sound stupid for a character to be constantly called Seventh.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote:I suspect that the way the TNG writers meant it was not as a unique designation among all Borg, just a designation within the five Borg on his scout ship. Like, if that hives’s programming requires a drone to do something it makes sense for it to have a way of determining which drone will carry out that task. Otherwise all the drones will try to repair the EPS relays at the same time and make a mess of it.
Always assumed this was the case, yes.
I don't know, it could also be as was said before; just smaller sub-hives which have designations to distinguish them by. And I'd think it's clear that multiples of such names must exist, but perhaps not aboard one cube or so. And/or they might have prefix designations, such as "Sphere 117, Navigation Subcommand, drone X of Y".
Boffo97 wrote:I'm personally just bugged that they changed the naming standard for no reason. We should have Third of Five and Seventh of Nine or Three of Five and Seven of Nine.
Agreed fully. I indeed also always assumed that this was due to Seven's name which needed too be more viewer/main character friendly. But -- lack of consistency.
But I suppose it would sound stupid for a character to be constantly called Seventh.
Nah. If Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden could sing it 77x in Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (and if even I can sing that along, pronouncing the "th"), then we could have had The Seventh Prodigal Daughter, too. :roll:
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote:
Nah. If Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden could sing it 77x in Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (and if even I can sing that along, pronouncing the "th"), then we could have had The Seventh Prodigal Daughter, too. :roll:
Or you just put a line of dialogue where Torres says "nah, I'ma callin' you Seven - Seventh sounds stupid". (Or give it to Harry if you want to spin it as heartwarming)

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
In the ep of Voyager where were see seven's parents, they investigate the designation of a drone and it's some blahs blah tertiary adjunct of yada yada establishing that Borg designations may not stop at just "third of five". Also, hugh may have dropped off a bunch of his designation in order to not give up Intel....much like a captured officer only reciting a first name and serial number when interrogated.

Seems logical that any given drone would be x of x, blank level of posting. That would be the best way to identify a drone. Eg: 1 of 247, primary adjunct of cube 235

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote:hugh may have dropped off a bunch of his designation in order to not give up Intel....much like a captured officer only reciting a first name and serial number when interrogated
... and ships be given totally bogus (usually higher) hull numbers, in order not to give away factual production numbers? Yes, could be. :thumbsup:
AllenGould wrote:Or you just put a line of dialogue where Torres says "nah, I'ma callin' you Seven - Seventh sounds stupid".
Hah! Yes. :thumbsup: Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Eerie coincidence: just today, during our FWFE meet-up, this very subject -- dormant for weeks -- was talked about. :?
(Or give it to Harry if you want to spin it as heartwarming)
:lol:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Bump, for possible interested parties. In the mean time, OP was continually updated with links to new topics.

Also, this thread was recently renamed (from "Borg: a list of topics and posts regarding various issue") to better reflect / make recognizable its content.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Well, I'm sorry to hear it's not to your liking, Q. But for me, it's a good thing. (And as I said in OP: that's what it's mainly for. 8) ) I won't agree with you that it's "spam", though.

I have a hard time playing [Bor] , and remembering everything about them (and I'm certain I'm not alone in that); and this repository helps a bit -- makes it easy to look up old [BO] topics.

Thanks for your own questions / input, though. :thumbsup:

(Also: OP updated again, with recent topics.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Oh well, that's fine with me... the bow can't always be strung -- certainly not where the Borg (and myself) are concerned. :borg: Some banter will eventually ensue. We must comply. 8)

Anyway, nice to see you around here again, a bit, too. :thumbsup: Good to know that you'll find your way back when the need/desire arises. :cheersL:

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

No, because the set was released yesterday, so the[…]

New Tribbles set Bad Moon

Why has no one confirmed the obvious. [Trob] […]