By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Can a card in stasis be targeted by another card? The glossary says cards in stasis can't be targeted in battle, but what about............

Can I play a personnel to a ship in stasis using Crew Reassignment?

Can I play a Borg to a Borg ship in stasis using They Will Be Coming?

Can I relocate a personnel in stasis with Mysterious Orb?

Can I place Blood Oath on a personnel in stasis?
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
No to all four. The reasons are covered by these two parts of the stasis glossary entry. Your first two examples require icons on the stasis cards so they're out and the last two are not global affects (or specify they can target cards in stasis) and therefor can not play on or affect a card in stasis.
Cards in stasis may not be used in any
way (including game text, attributes, icons,
lore, skills, ship equipment, traits such as
gender, species, or matching commander
status, etc.), and are considered in play for
uniqueness only.
Cards or rules that have a global effect, such
as Anti-Time Anomaly and Borg timeline
disruption, affect cards in stasis normally. No
other cards may affect or play on a card in
stasis unless they specifically permit it (e.g.,
Dead In Bed). (If a personnel worth bonus
points when killed, such as Aamin Marritza,
is killed while in stasis, the stasis effect ends
when he is killed and the points are scored.)

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
You can, however, use Finest Crew in the Fleet to report a U.S.S. Enterprise in lore [Fed] ENGINEER to your U.S.S. Enterprise that is in stasis due to hitting Scout Encounter/Quantum Singularity Lifeforms. Geordi La Forge or Montgomery Scott or others to the rescue. Heck even B. G. Robinson or Wesley Crusher fit the bill.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote:You can, however, use Finest Crew in the Fleet to report a U.S.S. Enterprise in lore [Fed] ENGINEER to your U.S.S. Enterprise that is in stasis due to hitting Scout Encounter/Quantum Singularity Lifeforms.
Really? Wouldn't that count as "using" the Enterprise's card title?

It's never come up for me before, so I might be missing something.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Professor Scott wrote:You can, however, use Finest Crew in the Fleet to report a U.S.S. Enterprise in lore [Fed] ENGINEER to your U.S.S. Enterprise that is in stasis due to hitting Scout Encounter/Quantum Singularity Lifeforms.
Really? Wouldn't that count as "using" the Enterprise's card title?

It's never come up for me before, so I might be missing something.
In Takket's example, he was using the [EE] icon (which is in stasis) on the Enterprise.

"Cards in stasis may not be used in any
way (including game text, attributes, icons,
status, etc.), and are considered in play for
uniqueness only
."

In my example the Enterprise is the just the report location.

"No other cards may affect or play on a card in
stasis unless they specifically permit it..."

In other posts, the glossary has been shown to equate play and report to being the same thing.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote:In my example the Enterprise is the just the report location.
Right, but using a card as a reporting location is a "use". It's not one of the examples, but the Glossary seems clear that the list of examples is not exhaustive.
"No other cards may affect or play on a card in
stasis unless they specifically permit it..."
Exactly, and the example they use for "specific permission" is Dead In Bed, which specifically allows you to target a card in stasis.

I think, for this to work, Finest Crew would need to say, "...aboard your U.S.S. Enterprise (even if it is in stasis)." THAT would provide specific permission.

I may be somewhat biased by the TrekSense here. If the Enterprise is held frozen in time by Quantum Singularity Lifeforms, it'd be weird for an ENGINEER to be able to report aboard her like nothing's wrong.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
I'm with BCS on this - the card is still there for purposes of "Ensign Bob is there and you can't just play another one", but the intent of the wording seems to be that it's supposed to be a blank card with "You can't play Ensign Bob" on it.

Now, the real answer will need to be slightly more nuanced, since ships still need to hold people (for instance), but just add it to the stack of rules entries that need some TLC.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I can honestly see it going either way. If a ship is frozen in time, what exactly is the newly arriving ENGINEER bringing to the table that somehow releases the ship? Perhaps Finest should be treated like the way they fixed the Blunder in Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.

In Wrath, Khan says I never forget a face, regarding Chekov. Space Seed, Khan's TOS episode, was Season 1 episode 22. Chekov's first episode was Season 2 episode 1, Amok Time. The premise is that Khan read all the personnel files, and even though we, as the audience, never saw Chekov in season 1 presumes that we was there all along.

So I guess Finest presumes that these U.S.S. Enterprise crew "were there all along" too, even though we, the players, never saw them thus why they can report to the ship. If that sort of Treksense is used, then no, Geordi or any of the others could not report to the Enterprise since he "was already there in stasis too." I believe Decipher's intent was that a 2nd ship would have to arrive and bring the ENGINEER with all the capabilities of that second ship.

It's a pity, as I don't think it breaks that much to allow it. I guess the same would apply to Legitimate Leader of the Empire with report's to Gowron in the same situation.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
this is exactly what is bugging me........ i started thinking of quantum singularity lifeforms and wondering if i put a borg cube into stasis, in a They Will be Coming deck......... could they just drop a drone with Engineer there to cure it? The difference is HUGE as in.... one scenario stops them for a turn and the other probably loses the game for my opponent since TWBC deck isn't getting out another ship with an engineer easily...

As mentioned before the glossary calls out these examples of things you can't use: game text, attributes, icons,
status

but in this case I'm just looking for a NAME or even just "[Bor] ship" as TWBC wants. I'm not using any other traits of the card. And what about "Any Geordi" on Ocular Implants? Maybe "name" and "title" is just missing from this list and it should be there? But it isn't there...

My suggestion for the glossary would be to simply say you cannot target a card in stasis with another card unless specifically allowed. Then delete the "list" from the glossary.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Resurrecting this for a similar question:
Can I report a personnel to my ship that is in stasis with Temporal Micro-Wormhole?

Aside: that topic checker at the top of a new post is fabulous.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
SirDan wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:00 am Resurrecting this for a similar question:
Can I report a personnel to my ship that is in stasis with Temporal Micro-Wormhole?
I believe the current answer is "no", because a card in stasis only exists for uniqueness.
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]