First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:I should perhaps clarify that my comment above related to TWBC and "nullifiers". I honestly haven't even looked at CM during this discussion and have no opinion on the timing of its discard.
Well, "discard" better darn well happen after the effect, because otherwise all those "Discard dilemma" and "Discard event." cards just became blanks. ;)
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
Armus wrote: 2.) I'm not sure the statement about getting the download first holds up. I seem to remember a ruling related to They Will be Coming that said if you commanded a non-alpha mission, TWBC self destructed before you got the Borg Cube download.
Different wordings. TWBC is nullified, CM is discarded. Nullifies prevents the card from doing anything at all, while discard happens after.
Is there a glossary entry for parsing "discarded"?
Quick glance says it's just the "this goes to your discard pile" part. I can't think of any situations where it has meaning beyond that. (And I'd be cranky if there was, because it means someone was being tricksy.)

(Now waits for someone to find a card I worked on where I was stupidly tricksy ;)
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:fix 1e timing issues asap and introduce "the stack"
If convenient, please describe "the stack," as you understand it, and how it would apply to 1E (as opposed to MtG, which is where I assume you're getting the idea from).

Thanks for offering your suggestions!

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
in this case.

cm is seeded "discard trigger goes on the stack"
player has a window to activate download "at interrupt speed" ->resolves first, get [WC]
cm is discarded

actually this asks for normalized speeds eg player can react to triggers with interrupt speed and normal downloads activate at interrupt speed
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Thanks. I'll try and study it more closely.
 -  
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:in this case.

cm is seeded "discard trigger goes on the stack"
player has a window to activate download "at interrupt speed" ->resolves first, get [WC]
cm is discarded

actually this asks for normalized speeds eg player can react to triggers with interrupt speed and normal downloads activate at interrupt speed
Question: how does this change what happens now? (You get the stuff, then it's discarded)

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
So, yes, I seeded CM first, and got my DL, then subsequently played PO and got my 2 DLs and discarded CM. Easy Peasy. Just a friendly reminder, the 3 [1E-AU] from a Cryosatellite are earned, and not reported so they don't pop CM either, in case ya'll forgot.

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:fix 1e timing issues asap and introduce "the stack"
1e basically does have a stack. The difference between our stack and that of MTG is that there are significantly fewer actions that can be added to the stack when something is on the stack.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
the 1e stack is something blurry nobody really knows how it works
see end of turn triggers

stack resolution is also less of a problem than the randomness of effect speeds in this game

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:the 1e stack is something blurry nobody really knows how it works
see end of turn triggers
It has been my experience that many people are fine with not knowing the action procedure provided they can understand how cards interact, so it is not surprising that there is a smaller percentage that can detail how an action sequence plays out. I'll use an example from Magic to exemplify my point. I think it is safe to say that most players of Magic don't know the page long process of casting a spell as laid out in the Comprehensive Rules, but most of the time a player doesn't need to understand that level of detail to cast their spells. The same is true here. It usually isn't necessary to know the finer details of the action process in order to play your cards.
Ensign Q wrote:stack resolution is also less of a problem than the randomness of effect speeds in this game
Effect speeds are not random, they are more complex than that of Magic, but they are not random. I'll try to explain it briefly. Despite there not being an official name for our "stack" I'll refer to it as the stack since I know you're familiar with that term and it will be easier to reference.
9of24 wrote:If the stack is empty, the player who has the opportunity to take action may do so. This can be any action which is appropriate for the current phase of the turn. I'll list each phase and the actions that can be added to an empty stack in that phase (actions in green may only be taken by the current turn's player):

Start of turn - Start of turn actions and suspends play actions.

Play a Card - Normal card play(and actions which replace it), free reports, at anytime actions (Interrupts/Doorways) and suspends play actions.

Execute Orders - Actions from cards in play which aren't responses, attempting/scouting a mission, moving personnel/ships/equipment, battling, at anytime actions (Interrupts/Doorways) and suspends play actions.

End of Turn - End of turn actions and suspends play actions.

Draw a card to end - Normal card draw(with any extra/additional draws available) and suspends play actions.

If there is an action on the stack, only actions which specifically relate to the action on the stack or an action which suspends play may be added to the stack.

If an action has been announced but not made it to the stack yet, only applicable 'just' actions and actions which suspend play may be added to the stack.

If an action has started to resolve but not left the stack yet, only applicable 'just' actions and actions which suspend play may be added to the stack.
Its possible I missed some actions in the turn phase section since I was mostly doing this from memory, but this is essentially most of the timing in 1E. If there is something I missed, let me know, I'll mark it where it belongs. Hopefully that clears things up for anyone confused by this subject.
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]