- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Some questions:

Can I report So'nas there even if it is cloaked?

Does a cloaked Observatory allow Process Ore: Mining there?

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Caretaker's Guest wrote:Can I report So'nas there even if it is cloaked?
Yes, they can report aboard the facility, but to leave the facility it would need to decloak.
Caretaker's Guest wrote:Does a cloaked Observatory allow Process Ore: Mining there?
Interesting, didn't think of that before, but yes it would appear that while the facility is cloaked you may use Process Ore: Mining with personnel not in the station.
cloaked glossary entry wrote:Cloaked cards are not considered to be opposing, present, "here," or otherwise at the location for requirements or abilities.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
HoodieDM wrote:Sona Observatory is a facility, therefore you cant mine..

~D
Except, the glossary says:
Cloaked cards are not considered to be opposing, present, "here," or otherwise at the location for requirements or abilities.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote:

~D
Cloaked cards are not considered to be opposing, present, "here," or otherwise at the location for requirements or abilities.
Yup, that trick would work. And because the play requirement doesn't specify a facility, it won't even self-destruct when you decloak. Cute! :thumbsup:

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
JeBuS wrote:

~D
Yup, that trick would work. And because the play requirement doesn't specify a facility, it won't even self-destruct when you decloak. Cute! :thumbsup:
Somehow the rule section is usually the best sources for deck ideas ;)
 -  
Community Contributor
Now, bear in mind that Process Ore: Mining triggers at start of turn, and you can normally cloak OR decloak on a turn (but not both). So if you decloak to let your people off the facility, you won't get your Mining next turn. (And Scan Cycle Check only works on ships, so you can't use it here to have your cake and eat it too.)

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:Now, bear in mind that Process Ore: Mining triggers at start of turn, and you can normally cloak OR decloak on a turn (but not both). So if you decloak to let your people off the facility, you won't get your Mining next turn. (And Scan Cycle Check only works on ships, so you can't use it here to have your cake and eat it too.)
You can get around that by leaving the facility cloaked and reporting the personnel to the planet or a ship in orbit. Since the facility says "here" they can report anywhere at that location.

Of course if your opponent is dumping jem'hadar or borg or klingons all over the spaceline the sensible thing to do is keep most of your people safely aboard the cloaked station.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Takket wrote:
AllenGould wrote:Now, bear in mind that Process Ore: Mining triggers at start of turn, and you can normally cloak OR decloak on a turn (but not both). So if you decloak to let your people off the facility, you won't get your Mining next turn. (And Scan Cycle Check only works on ships, so you can't use it here to have your cake and eat it too.)
You can get around that by leaving the facility cloaked and reporting the personnel to the planet or a ship in orbit. Since the facility says "here" they can report anywhere at that location.

Of course if your opponent is dumping jem'hadar or borg or klingons all over the spaceline the sensible thing to do is keep most of your people safely aboard the cloaked station.
Sorry to burst your bubble again, but:
On a facility, personnel and equipment that play "here" must play inside that facility. (Other cards may play anywhere at that location.)

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote:
Takket wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble again, but:
On a facility, personnel and equipment that play "here" must play inside that facility. (Other cards may play anywhere at that location.)
withdrawn :)

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
JeBuS wrote:

~D
I believe this was proven invalid though when we had cloaked ships at The Nexus.

Now that was a while back there was a huge debate on that, and maybe the glossary got updated to reflect differently now, but I know people on the boards (green badges) told me my ships would be blown up while cloaked...

~D
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote:Now that was a while back there was a huge debate on that, and maybe the glossary got updated to reflect differently now, but I know people on the boards (green badges) told me my ships would be blown up while cloaked...

~D
For others' reference, here are the two threads Hoodie is referring to:

viewtopic.php?p=272019#p272019
viewtopic.php?p=300472#p300472

(They are five and six years old, respectively, so many people here today weren't around for them.)

The first paragraph of this is still right, although I guess now I'm on the hook for that, aren't I? Yikes.
 -  
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote: I believe this was proven invalid though when we had cloaked ships at The Nexus.
Ooh, you're right, because we should be looking at this bullet point:
Cloaked ships are affected normally by cards that affect all cards of its type (e.g. Q-Net will affect a cloaked ship), and count for requirements that check for the presence of its card type
Which boils down to: you can't point at a cloaked Observatory and target it with something, but there's still "a facility" there if you're just checking if one was there. (Conceptually, you know there's something there - you just don't know where it is well enough to shoot it.)

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Follow-Up question ...

Do I need personally inside the station to cloak it?

The new Rulebook / Glossary does not say anything about it. In fact, the new Rulebook / Glossary does not say regarding the question of whether personnel must be aboard a ship to cloak it.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:17 pm Follow-Up question ...

Do I need personally inside the station to cloak it?

The new Rulebook / Glossary does not say anything about it. In fact, the new Rulebook / Glossary does not say regarding the question of whether personnel must be aboard a ship to cloak it.
Neither did the old Rulebook / Glossary! That's because you don't need personnel aboard a ship or facility to cloak it. There was a rule, once, that you had to have a matching personnel aboard. But that rule was introduced in 1998 and cancelled on July 31st, 2000.

Of course, because Decipher really struggled to communicate rule changes to the community, there are still people finding out about this change two decades later. I actually only learned the history of this rule a few months ago.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation