By Ikaza
 -  
Two questions regarding the new card, The Squire's Rules:
1. Would Exe-Q-tioner's re-seed count as a new copy of the dilemma (meaning it becomes a
miss-seed)?
2. Are you still allowed to seed Obsession (as it requires the download of a self-controlled dilemma)?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Welcome to the forums, Ikaza!

Just my opinions, but:

A reseeded Exe-Q-Tioner is still physically the same copy, not a second copy. I therefore don't think it falls afoul of Squire's text.

Put another way: if you fail Oops! and reseed it at the same mission, then encounter it again, it's not a second copy, it's the same copy encountered again. Squire's "at each encounter" text makes that clear. So I don't see why reseeding it at a different mission would make a difference.

Obsession forces you to download a [Self] dilemma, but then you put it immediately into play. It's never seeded under a mission. Therefore Squire doesn't care about it.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Obsession forces you to download a [Self] dilemma, but then you put it immediately into play. It's never seeded under a mission. Therefore Squire doesn't care about it.
Um.... you sure about that?

Obsession requires you to download a dilemma. Squire's Rules specifically says you can't download dilemmas. Period. Neither card says anything about seeding a downloaded dilemma.

I'm not so sure these cards play nice together...

By Ikaza
 -  
Thank you all for your opinions on the subject.
I would lean towards the viewpoint that you can use both Obsession and The Squire's Rules due to the intention of each card. The Squire's Rules is meant to help new players not have to worry about the beast of combo-building and to help veteran players add some enjoyable randomness to their game. Obsession's download has nothing to do with combos or mission attempts, instead adding a new "monster-hunting" aspect to the game.
Nonetheless, your point that The Squire's Rules says nothing about the dilemmas having to be seeded is accurate. Hopefully, CC will clarify the intention of this card in the Dilemma Resolution Guide.
Last edited by Ikaza on Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:

Obsession requires you to download a dilemma. Squire's Rules specifically says you can't download dilemmas. Period. Neither card says anything about seeding a downloaded dilemma.

Yeah, it says "you may not download dilemmas", not "you may not download and seed dilemmas".

I'd suspect Beware of Q's text doesn't play nice with it either, (because of the "ALL other cards" clause.)

By Ikaza
 -  
I believe Beware of Q's first function, allowing Q Dilemmas to seed like S/P dilemmas would be allowed within the confines of the Squire's Rules.

In the episode that "The Squire's Rules" comes from, Trelane (the being that was causing problems) was very Q-like in demeanor and ability. It wouldn't seem to make sense that a card based on cosmic powers would prevent the use of dilemmas based on similar cosmic powers.
Furthermore, other cards that say "like" or "as if" make the cards essentially become that new type.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:

Oh, thbbbt, you're right. I was thinking only about whether or not the downloaded dilemma would be a mis-seed, not about whether you could download it in the first place. (This is why I preface all my posts these days with "just my opinion!")

Yes, I agree: the final sentence on Squire forbids you from downloading dilemmas. Obsession requires you to download a dilemma. It is therefore not possible to play Obsession in a Squire deck.

Sorry for my senility.

By Ikaza
 -  
The previous comment I had here has since been proven incorrect, but I do not know how to delete my comments, so I simply overwrote it.
Last edited by Ikaza on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
I would say Beware q's second function never seeds the dilemma, so it would still be possible.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I would say seeding [Q] as S/P dilemmas is OUT because glossary says this:

"A card that says it is "played as" or "used as" another card type counts as both card types for all purposes."

So it counts as both S/P and [Q] and by virtue of it being a [Q] card, i would say that violates the Squire's S/P only rule.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:I would say seeding [Q] as S/P dilemmas is OUT because glossary says this:

"A card that says it is "played as" or "used as" another card type counts as both card types for all purposes."

So it counts as both S/P and [Q] and by virtue of it being a [Q] card, i would say that violates the Squire's S/P only rule.
I actually disagree with this. This is the same argument that was brought up with [Vul] Charles Tucker and Neuropressure Massage (or was it Kolinahr?)

If the [Q] card also counts as (S/P), then it's good BECAUSE it's (S/P), not bad because it's [Q]

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Intention and wording are often seperate things in 1e

Beware and Squire should work.

same logic P/S mission are still S mission, as well as P missions.
One does not override the other

So Q/P/S ist still a P/S

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
But Beware of Q doesn't say your [Q] dilemma cards seed "as" [S/P], it says they seed "like" [S/P]; nothing says the [Q] cards gain the dilemma type icon (as compared to the [TNG] provided by Continuing Mission or the [DS9] from Reshape the Quadrant). That means they can seed beneath either mission type, but they're not counted as [S/P]; they're still just [Q], but you're allowed to seed them in the same manner as you would seed a [S/P] card.

I would think this means that Beware and Squire don't play nice together.

Edit to clarify: this is only in reference to the first function of Beware, in case that wasn't apparent.

I guess we should have done "What can we […]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to another one of my homies, @seve[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]