By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
so im on a planet mission next to Battle of Narendra III revealing Tricyanate Poisoning,
Im never able to pass it?

According to the rules, my ship in orbit is not present with my away team, so there never will be a ship?!?

similarily on a [S] next to Brute Force. always triggers?
Last edited by Ensign Q on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:so im on a planet mission next to Battle of Narendra III revealing Tricyanate Poisoning,
am I ever able to pass it.

According to the rules, my ship in orbit is not present with my away team, so there never will be a ship?!?

As it sits now, I'd say.... yes?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Ensign Q wrote:so im on a planet mission next to Battle of Narendra III revealing Tricyanate Poisoning,

No to the first hypothetical. Tricyanate poisoning cannot look at Dual missions because they are not Planet or Space. They are dual.

Also, keep in mind that this dilemma has a countdown of 2 so it will go away in the same amount of time as a friendly fire.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote:

No to the first hypothetical. Tricyanate poisoning cannot look at Dual missions because they are not Planet or Space. They are dual.

Also, keep in mind that this dilemma has a countdown of 2 so it will go away in the same amount of time as a friendly fire.
I'm not sure I agree with that read, Kev. The dilemma is looking at the nearest [S] icon, not the nearest "space mission" ... I'm not sure TP cares that the nearest mission with a [S] icon also happens to have a [P] icon... at least there's nothing that tells me it does.

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: I'm not sure I agree with that read, Kev. The dilemma is looking at the nearest [S] icon, not the nearest "space mission" ... I'm not sure TP cares that the nearest mission with a [S] icon also happens to have a [P] icon... at least there's nothing that tells me it does.
The dilemma is targeting the nearest space or planet mission, the icons are used as a reference for the type of mission the dilemma is encountered at.
Hoss-Drone wrote:No to the first hypothetical. Tricyanate poisoning cannot look at Dual missions because they are not Planet or Space. They are dual.
This is incorrect as well. Dual icon missions are both planet and space missions, not neither types. From the rulebook (The Cards, Missions, Clarifications:Dual-Icon Missions):
A few missions are [P] [S] Dual-Icon — that is, they are both planet and space missions.
To the original question: your read seems correct.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I would argue that only the relevant part of the mission requirements counts.

Leadership + SECURITY + Honor x2 at [P]

[1E-AU] Ship with weapons>7 at [S]

Unless the mission with the Tricyanate was also a dual S/P mission.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Spectre9 wrote:I would argue that only the relevant part of the mission requirements counts.

Leadership + SECURITY + Honor x2 at [P]

[1E-AU] Ship with weapons>7 at [S]

Unless the mission with the Tricyanate was also a dual S/P mission.
Thats what you want, not what the rules are.

besides, why do we have the S or/and P discussion every time a dualmission comes up. its BOTH. everything applies to them.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
9of24 wrote: This is incorrect as well. Dual icon missions are both planet and space missions, not neither types. From the rulebook (The Cards, Missions, Clarifications:Dual-Icon Missions):
A few missions are [P] [S] Dual-Icon — that is, they are both planet and space missions.
To the original question: your read seems correct.

This would be a change then as I distinctly remember it being the other way. When was this made? Since it's in the Clarifications I would want to know where this Clarifications came from...
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote: This would be a change then as I distinctly remember it being the other way. When was this made? Since it's in the Clarifications I would want to know where this Clarifications came from...
I can't remember a time when they didn't count as both.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Hoss-Drone wrote: This would be a change then as I distinctly remember it being the other way. When was this made? Since it's in the Clarifications I would want to know where this Clarifications came from...
I clearly remember it being said that the reason why sometimes [S] and [P] icons are used and why "space mission" and "planet mission" are used is to either include or exclude dual missions. Otherwise, why ever have a difference?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:hehe what happens when you encounter poisoning at a dualmission though, so now it adds something from 2 missions?
No. This is a clear answer: When you encounter a dual dilemma at a dual mission, you choose either the crew or the away team to face it. In the case of TP you choose then process the dilemma accordingly.

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
I clearly remember it being said that the reason why sometimes [S] and [P] icons are used and why "space mission" and "planet mission" are used is to either include or exclude dual missions. Otherwise, why ever have a difference?
My guess is a move to icon usage to make more room for game text. Similar to Allen, I can only remember them being treated as both types. Looking at my last printed glossary from 2014, it looks like the entry for dual-icon missions is unchanged and while not explicitly stating they are both types, it does imply they may at least be targeted as either planet or space missions.
To begin or continue a mission or scouting attempt, or to solve such a mission (even using alternate requirements provided by an objective such as Subjugate Planet), you must have both a crew on a ship in orbit and an Away Team on the planet (each group must have a personnel who allows the attempt, e.g. whose affiliation matches one of the mission's icons).

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Im never able to pass it?

I would expect taking the requirements from Narendra III, you would need Leadership, Honor x2 and SECURITY in the AT at Poisoning, and an [1E-AU] ship with WEAPONS > 7 in orbit over the planet. The ship doesn't need to be with the AT on the planet, because "present" doesn't work the same way with ships vs personnel.

Per the "present" entry:
Glossary wrote:A ship is present at a mission if it is at the mission location. It is present for a mission attempt or dilemma encounter only if the crew of that ship is attempting the mission.
So I think as long as the ship is still in orbit when you hit the Poisoning and it's the horse you rode in on, you'd have that part covered.

As for Brute Force...eesh. You'd have to have...Airlocked an android recently? Having an AT at a space mission sounds...rough. And not possible. That one I think you'd just be stuck.

My game sense is that Poisoning is intended to replace "Away Team" with "crew" as appropriate (paging BCSWowbagger to the Glossary, paging BCSWowbagger to the Glossary...), but that's not how it's written (likely for the practical limitation of card space). And "as written" you'll never pass Poisoning if Brute Force is the nearest [P] to your [S] mission due to that missing AT, unless I'm missing something else.

How do you get an AT in space...? :shifty:

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.