When played, must the Stone of Gol immediateMy kill an away team or can it sit on the table?

Yes, must immediately kill an away team
100%
No, may sit on the table and kill an away team at any time, including opponents turn.
No votes
0%
No, may sit on the table and kill an away team during the artifact owners turn.
No votes
0%

By M066774
 -  
Had a heated argument with my brother about this.... we collected the game 20 years ago as kids, but recently started playing again. Relearning the rules here...

Vulcan Stone of Gol text says- “place in hand until played as an event card. Kills everyone in an away team without youth OR cunning>7. Discard artifact.”

My interpretation is: when played during a normal turn card play, it immediately kills most of the away team I chose when I play the card.

His interpretation is: it can be played on the table and left there till he wants to exercise the effect to kill an away team. The exercise of the effect could happen at any time, including during the opponents turn.

Who’s right?

This led to a greater argument about the definition of an event in terms of lasting general effects versus Single card effect.

I contend that though an away team is not a single card, the stone of Gol should play immediately on them and is a one shot immediate use.

His contention is that since the card doesn’t say “plays on away team” he can keep it unused on the table to “effect” my broader game choices, thereby achieving a “broader general effect” on the game.

Who’s right?

Thanks,
Dave

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
First off, welcome Dave. People named Dave are awesome in my unbiased opinion.

Second, I would say you're right in both cases. It would have to say "Plays on table. At any time..." to have the effect your brother wants. Then, since it orders you to discard it, it is not a lasting effect. So if you're wrong, we're both wrong and I've been playing wrong for years, but that's been known to happen before, so... ;)

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
You are correct. Many events have an immediate effect and then are discarded, Kivas Fajo - Collector, Masaka Transfomations, and Res-Q are all examples of this. So, you play Kivas Fajo - Collector as your normal card play, draw three cards and then put KF-C in your discard pile. Vulcan Stone of Gol works in the same way, you play it, it has its effect and then is discarded.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
It definitely kills the entire away team.

HOWEVER, I want to note that I can see where your brother is coming from -- because, back when I was playing casually with my pals, I made the same basic mistake.

And now I'm the Rules Manager! So 1E has a learning curve, and this is part of the process.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I would like to congratulate M066774 for finding something EVERYONE here can agree on. I think that must be a first!

:lol:

By sevencrdspud (Jason Beyer)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:I would like to congratulate M066774 for finding something EVERYONE here can agree on. I think that must be a first!

I agree to disagree.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
sevencrdspud wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:I would like to congratulate M066774 for finding something EVERYONE here can agree on. I think that must be a first!

I agree to disagree.
I don't.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
sevencrdspud wrote:

I agree to disagree.
That tracks. :wink:
MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.

Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]