By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I came up with, what I think, is a diabolical way to lock opponent's out of a mission (or multiple missions) but i think there are a few places where it may "fall apart". So presented below is the sequence of events and my questions......

1. Since the rule was recently changed (or clarified) that while you cannot complete an opponent's unique <40 point mission, you CAN attempt it, I'm going to seed A Fast Ship Would Be Nice, FLI/RGS and a Q-Flash at my opponent's mission with the intent to attempt the mission and encounter those. FLI/RGS is there to end the mission attempt without accidentally tripping the Q-Flash.

2. Assuming everything is cool with attempting (affiliations match mission affiliations, etc), I attempt the mission with two ships present, one of them is empty. My attempting ship has invasive transporters (and i have the event) and someone with an infiltration icon on board.

3. I encounter AFSWBN and give the empty ship to my opponent. For the sake of argument let's say it is Alpha Attack Ship. I then hit FLI/RGS (no females, and the attempt ends at RGS).

4. I now use the invasive transporters to send Jake Sisko (the one with the Dominion infiltration icon) to my opponent's Alpha Attack Ship Let's assume I've given Jake OFFICER skill somehow.

First three questions are here:

First of all, the glossary says when a ship is commandeered, and the person doing the commandeering has no one present, that the ship's affiliation does not change until someone shows up to "take custody" of it. So that being said, since the ship's affiliation stays [Dom], can Jake Sisko infiltrate it using his Dominion infiltration icon?

Second of all: Can an empty ship be infiltrated if the infiltrator is the only person aboard, or does my opponent need to have personnel there? I would think this is okay because the rules say my infiltrator can report to a facility of the affiliation they can infiltrate (like Martok Founder to a Klingon outpost) to begin infiltrating, and it stands to reason that the facility doesn't need any personnel aboard for Martok Founder to start infiltrating.

Third of all: When i beam Jake Sisko over, does my opponent have a chance to reveal intruder alert and capture him before his affiliation changes to [Dom] ? In other words, is the beaming and the declaration that he is infiltrating two separate game actions?

5. My opponent takes their turn.

Fourth question here. My hope if they don't come and take the ship, but what if they do? If they are playing, say Romulan, and come take the ship, changing its affiliation to Romulan, is Jake Sisko exposed and now and intruder?

6. On my turn, I reveal Issue Secret Orders and place it on Jake Sisko. I order my opponent to attempt the mission we are still sitting at (assuming it has the Dominion icon so my opponent can attempt it). I also tow away the Garbage scow because i'm such a nice guy.

7. On next turn, opponent is forced to attempt the mission with only Jake Sisko on the ship. Opponent hits my Q-Flash which only has I Tried To Warn You in it, and I can now place that on ANY mission i want to lock my opponent out of it.

Remaining Questions:

First off, does Issue Secret Orders work if Jake Sisko is the only person on the ship?

Second: Does I Tried To Warn You get triggered here? It says "If you began this mission with only one non-Borg personnel"... did my opponent do that? The mission attempt only has Jake Sisko, who is my personnel, so technically my opponent attempted with zero personnel even though they are "using" Jake Sisko like one of their own.

I think that's it.... if someone else blows this up that i missed, let me know lol. Actually hoping this DOESN'T work because it feels pretty NPE.............

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote:1. Since the rule was recently changed (or clarified) that while you cannot complete an opponent's unique <40 point mission, you CAN attempt it, I'm going to seed A Fast Ship Would Be Nice, FLI/RGS and a Q-Flash at my opponent's mission with the intent to attempt the mission and encounter those. FLI/RGS is there to end the mission attempt without accidentally tripping the Q-Flash.
Just want to make sure it is clear for everyone, in order to attempt your opponent's unique missions showing less than 40 points, a card which requires or allows you to do so is required (Samaritan Snare or Espionage: Federation on Klingon, for example).

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
9of24 wrote:
Takket wrote:1. Since the rule was recently changed (or clarified) that while you cannot complete an opponent's unique <40 point mission, you CAN attempt it, I'm going to seed A Fast Ship Would Be Nice, FLI/RGS and a Q-Flash at my opponent's mission with the intent to attempt the mission and encounter those. FLI/RGS is there to end the mission attempt without accidentally tripping the Q-Flash.
Just want to make sure it is clear for everyone, in order to attempt your opponent's unique missions showing less than 40 points, a card which requires or allows you to do so is required (Samaritan Snare or Espionage: Federation on Klingon, for example).
I remember reading about this ruling but I can’t find it in CRs or the glossary. Do you know where it is?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:Just want to make sure it is clear for everyone, in order to attempt your opponent's unique missions showing less than 40 points, a card which requires or allows you to do so is required (Samaritan Snare or Espionage: Federation on Klingon, for example).
I remember reading about this ruling but I can’t find it in CRs or the glossary. Do you know where it is?[/quote]

Not a ruling; a legit black-and-white rule:
OTF Rule 4 wrote:Players may not attempt, scout, target for scouting, or complete missions they did not seed unless that mission is universal or shows at least 40 points.
Our ruling of a couple months ago simply explained that specific cards, like Espionage cards, can override this prohibition. For years, many players considered OTF Rule 4 so inviolable that even Espionage cards couldn't overcome it, but, in fact, the Golden Rule ("gametext beats rules") applies. So the rule is still "you can't attempt opponent's missions," but specific cards that say you can attempt opponent's missions trump that.

This is discussed in slightly greater detail in the Glossary under Fair Play, Espionage cards, and the third paragraph of mission attempt.
Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]