By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I would think the station with a Holosuite does in fact have a holodeck. Whereas, in ships, a holodeck essentially encompasses the entire ship, the site itself has boundaries. [Holo] would need a Mobile Holo-Emitter to move outside of the holosuites to other sites.

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
geraldkw wrote:Can Holoprogram: Cafe Des Artistes seed or play on Holosuite?
Yes, Holosuite says that Holoprograms can specifically play there.
geraldkw wrote:The main concern I have depends on whether Holosuite having a holodeck means that DS9 as a facility has a holodeck?
DS9 does not have a holodeck, it is specific to the site.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
9of24 wrote:
geraldkw wrote:The main concern I have depends on whether Holosuite having a holodeck means that DS9 as a facility has a holodeck?
They can play there, but can they seed there? Those are two different things....

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
9of24 wrote:
They can play there, but can they seed there? Those are two different things....
You are correct, I missed that. Looks like the Holoprogram cannot seed on Holosuites.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
9of24 wrote:
geraldkw wrote:whether Holosuite having a holodeck means that DS9 as a facility has a holodeck?
Does that seem odd to anyone else? I do see your point, but, at the same time...

"Hey, would you like a plunger for your house?"

"No, thanks, we can't use a plunger in this house."

"What? Don't you have a toilet?"

"Yes. Our toilet can use a plunger."

"Don't you keep the toilet in your house?"

"No. There's only a toilet in the bathroom."

"Where's this bathroom? Is it an outhouse?"

"No, it's on the first floor of the house."

"So there IS a toilet in your house?"

"No. The toilet is specific to the bathroom."

"So you have a toilet in your bathroom."

"Yes."

"So your bathroom can use a plunger."

"Yes."

"And that bathroom is in your house."

"Yes."

"But your house does not have a toilet and can't use a plunger."

"Correct."

[To steal a line: any reasonable customer would conclude at that point that his interlocutor was either crazy or following some too-clever-by-half legal advice.]

Is this a bad analogy? Is there anything else in the game that works like this?
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
9of24 wrote:
eberlems wrote:Can you play the Holoprogram on the Nor, assuming a Holosuite Holodeck counts for facility with holodeck?
My understanding is no, this does not work. Holosuites is a site which has a Holodeck, it does not add a Holodeck to the facility the same way that Holodeck Door does for an outpost or headquarters.
Would that mean that Assign Support Personnel doesn't let you download to a Nor, since you can't play a personnel to the facility, only to a site?

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:Would that mean that Assign Support Personnel doesn't let you download to a Nor, since you can't play a personnel to the facility, only to a site?
Interesting way to look at it. My thinking would be that Assign Support Personnel does let you download to the Nor, providing its affiliation matches the personnel being downloaded, but since personnel on a nor must be on a site, they are placed on a site of your choosing.
facilities glossary entry wrote:Whenever you have personnel or ships aboard (or docked at) a facility, stack them on top of the appropriate site (for a Nor) or underneath the Facility card (for any other facility).

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
9of24 wrote:
AllenGould wrote:Would that mean that Assign Support Personnel doesn't let you download to a Nor, since you can't play a personnel to the facility, only to a site?
Interesting way to look at it. My thinking would be that Assign Support Personnel does let you download to the Nor, providing its affiliation matches the personnel being downloaded, but since personnel on a nor must be on a site, they are placed on a site of your choosing.
facilities glossary entry wrote:Whenever you have personnel or ships aboard (or docked at) a facility, stack them on top of the appropriate site (for a Nor) or underneath the Facility card (for any other facility).
An appropriate reporting site for their classification or other criteria(or Primary Turbolift)?

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
9of24 wrote:
geraldkw wrote:whether Holosuite having a holodeck means that DS9 as a facility has a holodeck?
Does that seem odd to anyone else? I do see your point, but, at the same time...

"Hey, would you like a plunger for your house?"

"No, thanks, we can't use a plunger in this house."

"What? Don't you have a toilet?"

"Yes. Our toilet can use a plunger."

"Don't you keep the toilet in your house?"

"No. There's only a toilet in the bathroom."

"Where's this bathroom? Is it an outhouse?"

"No, it's on the first floor of the house."

"So there IS a toilet in your house?"

"No. The toilet is specific to the bathroom."

"So you have a toilet in your bathroom."

"Yes."

"So your bathroom can use a plunger."

"Yes."

"And that bathroom is in your house."

"Yes."

"But your house does not have a toilet and can't use a plunger."

"Correct."

[To steal a line: any reasonable customer would conclude at that point that his interlocutor was either crazy or following some too-clever-by-half legal advice.]

Is this a bad analogy? Is there anything else in the game that works like this?
This is actually the clearest analogy to the game, to be honest. The reading of the card says it can seed on a facility with a holodeck. A holosuite is contained on the facility, therefore the facility "has" a holodeck. It's a nested graph. The rules that parse what a hologram can do differently on a ship vs a nor are inconsequential because the rules for movement on ships and outposts are just not as clearly defined as they are on facilities with sites though through logic would work exactly the same in the larger Star Trek universe. Ships and outposts are not just one big box that contains everything on the ship, though the game essentially depicts them that way. They, just like facilities with sites, have compartmentalized areas where people and things exists in different spaces, just like sites. We are not asked to differentiate these locations while on ships or outposts, but they would "be there" all the same. The game does not have a mechanic to depict this kind of separation, so it makes no sense to restrict a holoprogram like this and not let it seed on a holosuite.

Another way to think about it is that a ship with a holodeck is no different than a nor with a holosuite. They are both small, self-contained rooms in one specific part of the entity in space. The holodeck on your U.S.S. Enterprise does not encopass the entire ship, but we accept that the entity that is the Enterprise has a holodeck. If you agree, then you have to also agree that a DS9 that contains a holosuite site which contains a holodeck also causes the DS9 to have a holodeck.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
So if I seed my hologram on DS9, a facility with a holodeck, would anyone at any site on the station be "present" for purposes of the ability?

"Your personnel (and equipment) are present with other cards (e.g., event, interrupt, or doorway cards, seeded cards outside the context of a mission attempt, dilemmas that enter play) if they are on a ship or space facility at the space location where the card is played or seeded (or where the card is moving down the spaceline); on the planet surface (outside a facility or landed ship) where the card is played or seeded; on a ship, facility, or site on which the card is played"
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]