By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Urgent Warning and other cards have the following verbiage:
...at a spaceline end (opponent's choice).

What exactly is the opponent's choice?

1) the particular spaceline, assuming there is more than one?
2) which end of the spaceline?
3) both the spaceline, assuming there is more than one, AND which end of the spaceline?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
You should trust me because I was involved in designing this card, but also distrust me for exactly the same reason.

The answer's #3, though. If there's two spaceline ends in the game, opponent gets to choose any one of them. If there's four or six or eight or seven spaceline ends in the game (across multiple quadrants, though pretty sure 7 is impossible), opponent still gets to choose any one of them.

This is not a card you really want to use in a game with short spacelines, especially not if you lack quick access to them.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:You should trust me because I was involved in designing this card, but also distrust me for exactly the same reason.

The answer's #3, though. If there's two spaceline ends in the game, opponent gets to choose any one of them. If there's four or six or eight or seven spaceline ends in the game (across multiple quadrants, though pretty sure 7 is impossible), opponent still gets to choose any one of them.

This is not a card you really want to use in a game with short spacelines, especially not if you lack quick access to them.
Well you can have 7 distinct spaceline ends if you have 3 quadrants with at least two locations and one with 1 location.
 -  
Community Contributor
Aha, there it is! Nice.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
BCSWowbagger wrote:You should trust me because I was involved in designing this card, but also distrust me for exactly the same reason.

I was thinking of using it with Assimilated Vessel for a quick 10 points but not sure if it works since it was not hit as a dilemma, so not sure if me being the opponent is conferred to it.

By VioletBlaze (Violet Edgar)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
May I just say, randomly, that the title of this thread makes me nervous every time I see it pop up :D
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote:

Well you can have 7 distinct spaceline ends if you have 3 quadrants with at least two locations and one with 1 location.
Bit of napkin math says you can have any between 2-8 spaceline ends. (Can't have only one because everyone is seeding six missions; can't have 9 because we only have four spacelines).
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote:I was thinking of using it with Assimilated Vessel for a quick 10 points but not sure if it works since it was not hit as a dilemma, so not sure if me being the opponent is conferred to it.
Per its Glossary entry, you'd be giving your opponent 10 points. Which is very sporting of you!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Professor Scott wrote:I was thinking of using it with Assimilated Vessel for a quick 10 points but not sure if it works since it was not hit as a dilemma, so not sure if me being the opponent is conferred to it.
Per its Glossary entry, you'd be giving your opponent 10 points. Which is very sporting of you!
Fair point. So the trick is to use it when you prepared to take it out yourself. Any Shenanigans, such as only Aid Fugitives in [1E-GQ] or having some other uneven spaceline configuration will backfire in that the opponent gets to choose it's starting location. So Space Amoeba hits my short spaceliine instead of theirs, or my Borg Ship hits their spaceline with a waiting armada instead of mine, lol. Wow this card is self-enforcing, well designed!!!
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
patrick wrote:
AllenGould wrote:Can't have only one because everyone is seeding six missions
Black Hole
True, if your opponent seeds all Alpha, and you're willing to wait that long.. :)

edit: you'll also have problems capitalizing on it, since on the turn it removes the last mission it *also* destroys everything on Black Hole - so you need a trick to be somewhere else on that turn. ;)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
VioletBlaze wrote:Engage Cloak?

Though looking at it, since Black Hole creates a location, you'll always have at least one space line end, I believe.
But what happens when the Black Hole is the only thing left and your ship appears there and closes it with Examine Singularity? You're floating in Null Space? :wink:

By VioletBlaze (Violet Edgar)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ahhh right, that was mentioned above, I get it now!
But, yeah, you're just sort of... on the objective, I guess? I think the rules allow it but it's still kinda weird.

Good mornin' lads, just got me thinking: What w[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]